Life On Display Review

Released: Nov 25, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
Number of tracks: 12
It have a couple of catchy songs, but it have no hooks or full-fledged songs this time around.
 7.9
 8.4
 7.3
reviews (8) 1 comment vote for this album:
Life On Display Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2004

Sound: I am thoroughly sick of reading the junior-league, limited-frame-of-reference, shallow, "I've never written a song in my life but I can be a critic on the web" reviews that I keep seeing on these forums regarding this CD. They're not hanging on to anything or riding on the coat tails of anything. These guys have a sound, and they play that sound with unmistakable identity, and undeniable conviction. They just grab their instruments and rock the **** out of you wussy little whiners, and you want to get all theoretical and tactical on it... Vocally, there are perhaps a handful of people on the planet that can match or outdo Scantlins raw power (Maynard Keenan, Dave Grohl... or maybe you only would recognize ummmm Josh Groban). Just try staying with the guy's phrasing on some of those songs. The acoustic guitars are just used so tastefully... they make you want to hear more, but then you can't decide if you want them to do that, or just get to the part where they kick your *** when they bring it with the rest of the band. Have you actually sat down and tried to play some of what they play. They are talented, and this CD is well-engineered. It sounds awesome at low levels, and even better when the windows in your car are rattling. People are complaining about song structure (Time Flies comments) and voicings, and that they're copying harmonic intervals from Chains, or worrying about trying to categorize the genre and forecasting their demise because they're unwisely fixated on .... whatever....shut up. Think about this guy's life... all of them... who they are. This might come as a surprise, but they didn't write this CD thinking "Boy I hope everyone thinks our music is perfectly distinct and appeals to them structurally....I hope we don't offend anyone's sensibilities or musical judgments." They wrote it because it made them feel better (and to make some money). And they worked on it until it was right. And now they're touring on it. So buy some tickets to their concert and walk up to Scantlin and tell him how you feel about how he's selling out. And after that, go listen to Tool's song "Hooker with a p*nis" from AENEMA. POM rocks. // 10

Lyrics: He's got stuff to scream about. Stuff from a zone that's too dark for a lot of people. But you have to have the proper perspective when you're listening. Don't try to... don't sit there and whine about how he doesn't say things the way you would, or "geez he's really a depressed psycho". He's telling you some things, and you don't have to listen. But if you do, you take it all the way... you put yourself in his shoes and hear what he's saying. And then you listen to the way he expresses it, and the ****ing POWER that he can apply when he just has to vent. The freaky melodic choices he makes, and the way those melodies give you the creeps when he WANTS you to have the creeps, and they release you when he WANTS to let you rest. Put the headphones on and deal with it, over and over, until you can vicariously feel what he's saying. The guy is a powerhouse, and his lyrics are honest and dark... about pain and struggling and violent outbursts and wanting to be a better human. And he weaves them into the music like a master. He is the "Freak of the World". // 10

Overall Impression: What would I do if it were "stolen/losted"? "Losted" huh? Ok. That is funny. Well, YEAH I'd buy it again if it were "losted." I don't compare it to their other CD. I just think that's pointless... with any artist. It's not supposed to be like the other CD...and it's not supposed to differ from the other CD in a specific way. It's its own thing. Clearly there are days when you just don't want to hear one of the songs... where you'll prefer one over the other. But there are so many different things going on on this CD. Raw, a$$-kickings like "Freak of the World"... tasty little acoustic licks like at the beginning of "Time Flies"... upbeat jams like "Spin you Around", and great straight-4 rock like "Heel Over Head"... all of which, like I said, are honest... revelations of life from the perspective of Mr. Scantlin and the boys. Life on Display. Take it for what it is, and you will find yourself admitting that they rock harder than you could ever hope to. // 10

Life On Display Reviewed by: DemonRiffs, on december 13, 2003

Sound: If the sun is about to set on nu-metal, as some critics are saying, what hope is there for purveyors of post-grunge still clinging to the coat tails of Nirvana? But, surely, if an album is good, un-wholesome and rocks like a proverbial bastard, who cares what genre it comes from? Puddle Of Mudd are an excellent example. "Life On Display" sounds very much like their last album, but not in a bad way. Wesley Reid Scantlin (yes, that is his real name!) vocals combine with heavy-duty riffage, and the strong scent of melody soon gets the juices pumping. // 10

Lyrics: Listening to the lyrics can get a bit depressing if you do it too much, so i suggest you don't, unless you feeling extaticly high, this will bring you plumetting back down to earth! However depressing they may be though, they are excellent lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said above, this keeps up the rockability of "Come Clean", with acoustic songs to smooth over the creases. These guys can write, play and deliver the goods big time. // 10

Life On Display Reviewed by: Vinny_Barberino, on december 16, 2003

Sound: If this was 1991 this would be innovative, but it's 2003. This band tries so hard to revive grunge, by trying to sound like Kurt Cobain playing with Alice in Chains. But if anything, this album took a step back from their last CD. Nothing about it sounds creative, its uninspiring grunge revival music. Those three chords in "Away From Me" sure are cool though huh? // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics nowhere near compare to their first album. Nothing is a standout like "Blurry" or "Drift and Die". Most of the lyrics are forcely rhymed and depressing. "..afraid you're f***ing someone else" yeah take it from there. "Time Flies" is a horribly written song, its like 8 minutes and supposed to be the big ballad. But it is as bland as that title, and if anything time stops while listening to it. Wes Scantlin's vocals- Kurt and Layne, imitation is the highest form of flattery, but you are lucky you are not around to hear this. // 4

Overall Impression: This album was a huge letdown. Puddle of Mudd has had some great singles, and the first one from this CD isn't all that bad, but it turns out to be the best song. That's not a good thing to say, cause "Away from Me" isn't even all that good. This band tries way too hard to be too many other bands. Its not worth buying at all, go buy "Dirt", go buy "Core" by STP instead. I don't mean to keep harping on the grunge thing, but this is some very bland and played out music. If another song from this album even makes it on the radio I would be surprised, but maybe this is the kinda crap that gets commercial nowadays. But if you want something new, avoid this CD like the plague. // 4

Life On Display Reviewed by: plrdsmthdude27, on december 29, 2003

Sound: The sound on this record is great. They go from classic Puddle of Mudd power chord stuff, to acoustic stuff, and a couple times experiment with different tipes of wierd, cool sounds. The acoustic songs on this record are great, and add a lot more flavor to the music. This time they even put a couple of good sounding bass intros. The sound on this record is twice as good as "Come Clean." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are typical Wes Scantlin lyrics. Some of the lyrics don't make sense, and mostly all of them are about relationships, break ups, and hard times but what else are you going to wright about? So the lyrics are solid, but not perfect. // 6

Overall Impression: This is definetly their best stuff. It is twice the record Come Clean was. I like almost every song on this album, so you can just put it in and listen to the whole thing. I love the sounds on this record. The lyrics are a little shaky, but the rest is good. If I lost it I would definetly buy it again. If you're looking for a great rock record you should buy this one. If you liked Come Clean you'll love Life on Display. // 10

Life On Display Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 05, 2004

Sound: The sound of the music is probably what makes this album so great. I think they geniously take "life" and turn it into music that we "feel" we relate too. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good, but I do believe they could be better. They do however portray emotions,life, and everyday problems greatly through their lyrics. I can sit back, and relax to them after a really...bad...day. // 8

Overall Impression: This cd is definitely worth buying. Their first cd has better lyrics, but the music equally rules on this cd. The most impressive songs are "Away from Me", "Heel Over Head" and "Spin you Around." If it was lost I'd definitely buy it again. After a hard day this is what I come home to relax too, this and Cold. // 8

Life On Display Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2004

Sound: Vary diverse. Some very good acoustic work. It isn't too Nirvana(Note: Nirvana was one of the worst abnds ever) like. On track 3 I think it was Wes who took that solo and so he got to show off his skill with a wah. // 10

Lyrics: I love Wes's voice. It is very stong without too much strain in it. Especially on the acoustic songs his voice is very soothing. Unfortunately, the lyrics were better on Come Clean. Don't get me wrong he is still a very talented songwriter and the lyrics are good, but Come Clean was better lyrically. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm glad that they took a break from the Nirvana act. Grunge sucks and I think that this was less grungy and a little more personal for Wes and he got a chance to show a little more creativity. Good job guys. I hope you keep the good stuff rolling in. // 10

Life On Display Reviewed by: deanguitars, on february 24, 2004

Sound: This album isn't to bad. The guitar parts are alright in them. Some good some bad. I didn't think they had as good guitar as the last album though. The style wasn't bad, they used the typical, verse-chorus-verse-chorus-interlude-choruse quite a bit. They needed to mix it up some more. In other words they needed some more musicality. Cause some songs get somewhat boring from repeats and such. (they're not exactly like Durst and Limp Bizkit with the typical song structure though). // 6

Lyrics: Now I liked some of the lyrics that they came out with this time. And Wes is a great singer and has a good voice. End of story. // 8

Overall Impression: At first I didn't care for the album much, but when I really sat down and listened to it I started to like it more. Lyrics were pretty good, but I didn't care much for the guitar parts. They needed a few solos or some good licks. // 8

Life On Display Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2004

Sound: I found that pod changed there sound a lot from come clean and has made it more lighter! But i personly think that the music has been put together with more thought and is more complex on certain songs than just the drop d tuning and three or four chord tricks that are used by them a lot on come clean! but both albums are wicked man! // 8

Lyrics: I think that all the lyrics are cool but every now and then there is a couple of bad ones like in sitting at the bottle in the middle 8 when he sings sticks and stones, you no the one! I think that wes scantlin has the ultimate rock voice along with kurt cobain! r.i.p! The ruff voice just brings out the whole song! // 10

Overall Impression: This album is top stuff and if it were stolen I would most deffinatly buy it again! Life on display is 1 of my most favorate albums ever along with come clean-pod,in utero-nirvana, toxicity-system of a down and color and the shape - Foo fighters. // 10

More Puddle Of Mudd reviews rating latest review