The Dark Third Review

pure reason revolution: The Dark Third
Release Date: Jul 25, 2006
Label: Red Ink
Genres: Neo-Prog, Neo-Psychedelia
Pure Reason Revolution has created a work of progressive beauty. The challenge of taking progressive music to another place succeeds so well here.
 9.3
 9.6
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
The Dark Third Reviewed by: Bobbie Herc, on january 15, 2008

Sound: This relatively new debut album, The Dark Third, by the prog-rock Pure Reason Revolution is truly a diamond in the rough. They have been dubbed by many fans and critics alike the "next Pink Floyd". I'm reluctant to admit it, but I think we may have found the next best thing to Floyd. PRR in their debut album explores the dream-state, to put it quite simply. Everything about their music screams "Floyd!", but that doesn't mean that they're another copycat wannabe Floyd band. No, no, Floyd is simply an inspiration for PRR, and they manage to innovate and improve, almost as if they continue from where Floyd left off. Either way, Floyd fans will not want to overlook The Dark Third. Clean and slow guitar coupled with funky synth and organ give a dreamy effect throughout a good part of the album; however, there are still some pretty heavy riffs, as in headbanging-worthy riffs. So, what's the catch? The only complaint I had was that there were a few times where I felt like skipping over the track due to sheer repetition. Still, I thought that they're overall sound was excellent. // 8

Lyrics: Hmm. Lyrics. I must say I am pretty speechless about the lyrics for this debut album. But the lyrics themselves are so fascinating on so many levels. As I followed along to the music with the lyrics in my hands, I literally thought, "wow". And that's an understatement. First of all, they is an excellent usage of puns and poetic elements that that make it so poetic and interesting. Also, there are many and various references and homages to Pink Floyd (there's an entire song named after an exert from "Echoes", called "The Bright Ambassadors of Morning"). However, lines like "Lime she screens the green colour light, taste alliance order", and "Everyone's falling sun-suicides optimal give the initial impression that the band just slapped a bunch of random phrases together and called it a day. But then after listening to an album as a whole, you begin to realise that PRR isn't trying to tell a story through their lyrics (which is the norm with most bands) but they're trying to create a series of images that allows the listener to interpret a story, which is of course not unlike the dream-state. Ergo, their aim is achieved. Once again, the lyrics are nothing short of poetic, but those who just take it for face value will miss the point and see it as nonsensical ramblings. And oh, the euphony! The vocals are choral, so all band members can be heard singing much of the time. But the harmony between the two leads, Jon Courtney and Chloe Alper, are purely angelic. Their harmonies leave you wanting more; "lion's odours" sounds like a beautiful thing coming from these guys. // 10

Overall Impression: I haven't received shivers from any song since my first time listening to Pink Floyd's "Echoes" until now. I got shivers three times from three different songs listening to The Dark Third. I listened to their twelve-minute odyssey "The Bright Ambassadors of Morning" close to eight times in one day, which is about an hour and a half of music. I loved this album. Mind you, I'm not much of a critic, and you'll find way harsher reviews, but I guess it's all just a matter of opinion. After listening to the album from front to back, you'll either have the same opinion as me, or well, you'll probably get bored and won't listen to the album front to back. So, the verdict? The only thing keeping The Dark Third from a perfect 10 is the occasional repetivity of songs and the subsequent boredom. Regardless, The Dark Third is an excellent addition to any prog-junkie's collection. can't wait for the next one, PRR! // 9

More Pure Reason Revolution reviews rating latest review