A Night At The Opera Review

artist: queen date: 02/25/2008 category: compact discs
queen: A Night At The Opera
Released: Dec 2, 1975
Genre: Rock
Tones: Silly, Theatrical, Ambitious, Quirky, Rousing, Freewheeling, Outrageous, Elaborate
Styles: Hard Rock, Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Glam Rock, Pop/Rock
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.3
 9.1
 9.5
A Night At The Opera Reviewed by: queen471, on august 26, 2005

Sound: After the huge sucess of 'Sheer Heart Attack' Queen went back to the studios knowing that there was going to be a lot of expectation for their next album. The recording sessions were made in different studios, sometimes with one member of the band playing on his own. Queen already gained a lot of popularity on the last year, but seems to be like that wasn't enough for them. They wanted to inmortalize themselves because they were concerned of how much talent they had, and that was the reason why 'A Night At The Opera' is one of the best albums ever. Of course there was a song called 'Bohemian Rhapsody' that had a lot to do with that. 01. Death On Two Legs - one of Queen most controversial songs. The song is dedicated to Jack Nelson, one of Queen's first managers when they had a deal with Trident. Nelson according to Freddie, stole a lot money from Queen, and then fleed to the United States leaving the band with a lot of debts. On the Live Killers video you can hear Freddie saying "This song is dedicated to a motherf--ker of a gentleman." 02. Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon - I don't kno why but these old fashion songs written by Freddie are so catchy! This is one of the best 'old fashion' type songs he did. Another good one is 'Bring Back That Leroy Brown' off the 'Sheer Heart Attack' album. 03. I'm In Love With My Car - this is a song that shows Roger's great passion for cars. It's dedicated to John Harris, one of Queen's early roadies. The 'Jazz' album is also dedicated to him. 04. You're My Best Friend - this was the first Queen single written by John. This is a very nice tune that John made for his best friend, and wife, Veronica. 05. 39' - this is a nice folked styled ballad written by Brian. It has a lot to be with astrology, which was Brian's major before turning to music. The idea might have come from the short story 'The Poet' by Herman Hesse from the collection "Strange News From Another Star." 39' is a beautiful song although it's kinda hard to understand it's meaning. 06. Sweet Lady - this is some kind of love/hate song with a heavy taste. 07. Seaside Rendezvous - this is a song with a lot of french in it, but that's exactly what gives that romantic touch, since most people think that french is the language of love. Freddie must be very inspired when writing this song, and after having it all done voila! Ces't Seaside Rendezvous. 08. The Prophet's Song - if you thought that 'Bohemian Rhapsody' was the only masterpiece in this album, you were wrong. The Prophet's Song is one of those tunes that could only be made only one band in the world, and Queen knew nobody could ever imitate that kind of chorus. Similar to the opera section in 'Bohemian Rhapsody', this song was made by a cappella chorus layers put one after the other in a recording studio. 09. Love Of My Life - it is one of Queen's softest and most famous ballads. Although it wasn't very successful in Europe as a single, it had quite a lot of radio airplay. The song was number one in different countries in South America, and it's so popular there that when Queen had their first South American tour, the whole crowd chanted the complete song, even though english wasn't their language. 10. Good Company - here's Queen showing again that they weren't just a rock band. In this song they adopt a Hawaiian style, which gives 'Good Company' a nice moving taste. 11. Bohemian Rhapsody - it is if not the best, at least one of the best songs of all time. Just check all those polls that are being made to choose the best song of the century, and you will find out that 'Bo Rap' has a very high place on them. This is the song that inmortalized Queen, and wherever you are, you will always listen to it. 12. God Save The Queen - the only song that wasn't written by any of the members of the band to be featured on an studio album. This song shows the patriotism and pride that Queen had for their homeland and made an excellent finale for every Queen gig since 'A Night At The Opera.' // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics all together on this album are very good and not just simple rhyming. The lyrics are symbolic and show how talented all of the band members were. // 10

Overall Impression: My favourite songs on the album are 'The Prophet's Song' and 'Death On Two Legs'. The Prophet's Song has this wierd echo chorus, I like of it like Freddie's vocal version on Brian's 'Bighton Rock' guitar solo. Death On Two Legs is just simply catchy. I feel that Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated, don't get me wrong it is a great song, but it's too well known and I feel people who say that's their favourite Queen song, they have not heard anything else. The worst song on the album is 'Bad Company', I just don't like it. But Queen are a band where their music grows on you, so I bet I will like it soon. If I lost it I would try and get a new copy. Overall, a great album. Not my favourite album from Queen, but it certainly has some amazing songs. // 8

A Night At The Opera Reviewed by: nfldguitarist, on february 25, 2008

Sound: Queen have been a criticly panned band for just about all of there career, they, ve shown many people there abilities as musicians and yes this is indeed a classic album but looking over 20 yrs later lets see if this album still stands up? The sound of the album includes a progressive rock, glam rock and heavy metal but they have been able to show broadway, folk and opera onto this album. the album does have a powerful sound and an enrgetic feel but it seems that queen did not like bass or john pissed them off or something because the album is almost completely devoid of bass.I think it comes from the fact that Rodger Taylor has his powerful drummed sound which competes with Brian May's stacked guitar sounds and freddy Mercurey's Operatic vocals I think That bass just got forgot somewhere in this.It also didn't help that all the voices were double tracked about a thousand times to give it an operatic feel. The sound is indeed what many of us asked ourselves in the '70s why do none of these so called rock operas sound nothing like rock operas. Queen gave us that answer with there so called "heavy melodic approach to there music". This album also cannot seem to settle on 1 music genre per song, Although the prophets song is indeed a great song it's cahnges in mid song sound very rough and the a cappella version of this song seemed very boring to me. I think that Freddie was really trying to prove himself. I think that if they had included the rest of that band into that section then it would have been a much easier listen. The guitar was good on this album.It was not without flaws such as on sweet lady where it seems that Brian is going against the music instead of playing with th rest of the music.It seems almost like a spare riff he had lying around but it was still a good listen. Overall I can say that this album was a hybrid of many of this bands un conventinal influences thatwere more than just blues like many of the bands at that time. // 7

Lyrics: The Lyrics were silly on quite a lot of the songs. On songs like seaside rendezvous and Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon Mecurey wont say anything but make jokes. They were also cryptic such as the songs centerpiece "Bohemain Rhapsody" An opus of music that to this day confuses and disorientates people to this day. Bohemain rhapsody, Was a song that can't be explained in the confines of one review. The best suggestion is to go listen to the song yourself. Mecurey's vocals were incredible. It's very hard to find something wrong with his vocals. I found that his rock snarls sounded wrong not because he couldnt do them but because he couldnt time them correctly. All and all the lyrics themselves were indeed a very poetic and whimsical experience one wishes that they were there to see the writing process that they went through to come up with this. Maybe they were on acid? // 6

Overall Impression: If you were to ask me this is Queens strongest work to date. Not as progressive as songs were in there early work but still quite proficient. The songs that stood out to me were "Bohemian Rhapsody," "'39," "The Prophets Song," "Your my Best friend" and "Love of my life." These songs are still relevant today and I still here other people listen to these songs. I loved how this album experimented with how far and how big you can make a rock band sound at this time.I couldnt stand the lack of bass and some of the changes it was. It was also a lot more expensive then other albums of the time probably because of their perfectionism. // 5

A Night At The Opera Reviewed by: Hevoc, on january 08, 2004

Sound: Better then Pink floyd. They are using the guitar so mutch that they have there own music style. // 10

Lyrics: Singer skills? Great we are talking about Freddie Mercury. // 10

Overall Impression: It's hard to find an adjective for this album that does it justice. 'A Night At The Opera' is quite possibly Queen's best album outside of the 'Greatest Hits' series. This album is everything you can expect from classic Queen. These were the days before they really got into rock, although that definitely doesn't mean this isn't a rock album! There are 3 kinds of songs on this album. The first is the more emotional songs, songs from the heart. The first of these, 'You're My Best Friend' was written by Deacon for his girlfriend (later to be his wife), and is quite a catchy song. It is also one of Queen's most under-rated songs and is a testament to John's songwriting skills. The next one is '39', which is, if you count in order from the first album, the 39th Queen song. This is a gentle May song. Not quite the same as 'You're My Best Friend', but still a good song. 'Love Of My Life' is the emotional piece we sometimes come to expect from Queen, and it does not dissappoint in that sense at all. It isn't a song to be appreciated by the more rock-orientated Queen fans, but is nevertheless a good song, whatever your preference. 'Good Company' is a jolly little song that just makes you want to sing along to it. The other kind of song is the 'jolly' songs that aren't really anything except comical and loving. 'Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon' may be short, but it certainly makes up for it in quality. It's a happy song that makes you want to sit next to a piano and play. 'Seaside Rendezvous' is of similar calibre, but even better. Its name captures its essence, and is really quite a happy song for singing on sunny days. These kinds of songs don't really get the credit they deserve, and are unfairly ranked amongst Queen's 'lesser' songs by people who aren't quite into Queen fully. And then the rock songs. 'Sweet Lady' might not be considered to be that rocky by most people, but I think it deserves its place in this category for its rough but enjoyable chords. 'The Prophet's Song' is one of Queen's overlooked masterpieces. It may not be a song you can easily remember (being over 8 minutes long) or even one to sing (at one time, 'three' Mercuries are singing different parts) but it is a very good piece of music with a tune that is perfect for creating atmosphere. 'God Save The Queen' is also an overlooked song, and May's performance never seems to get the praise it deserves. And neither does 'I'm In Love With My Car' which is a powerful rock song by Taylor. And of course, there's 'Bohemian Rhapsody', the song that made Queen famous, featuring in the film 'Wayne's World', it is quite a contrasting song. It has its cultural ballad at the beginning which can be quite moving, and then its famous rock chorus and the moment everyone picks up their air guitars and go crazy. The song of the first music video is certainly best when watched as well as listened to. If you are lucky enough to be in the right state of mind then you will truly appreciate the greates song ever. But greatness is something different from our concepts of 'best' and 'worst'. And that is why I would have to say the the best song of 'A Night At The Opera' is the quite marvellous 'Death On Two Legs', dedicated to Queen's former manager who was supposed to have cheated them out of quite a few royalties for their earlier work. The lyrics and tune are harsh, powerful, and uncompromising. They are also superb. It is one the definitive Queen songs. If anyone were to ever ask "What is Queen?" then this song goes a long way in answering that question. And so does this album. This most probably the best album EVER, so I suggest you go buy it and listen to it over and over again, learn all the words, and take it to parties. The question is "Will you do the fandango?" // 10

A Night At The Opera Reviewed by: TaterSalad101, on may 29, 2004

Sound: This album has no boundaries, and you can tell that the band had no boundaries either, while recording. This album takes almost every style of music you can think of, Rock, Opera, Piano, Jazz, Blues, Hard Rock/Metal, and more - and put it into one album. And it is not rushed, either. The songs are well-paced, carefully structured pieces of work. The whole band collaborted during the recording process, and this is probably why this is such a diverse album. Mercury's vocal skills are only matched by his skills as a pianist, which is present in almost all the songs. He brings a classical style of piano playing, and blends it with the music. The guitar arrangements are well-structured harmonic-heavy passages. Not alot of the songs rely on the guitar all the way through, but when it does kick in - it sounds great. There is also that famous Queen bass, supplied by Deacon who is constantly pumping out great lines throughout the entire album. The drumming is stellar, and really keeps the pace and is the only thing close to a boundary on this album, keeping Freddie, Brian and Deacon all in line from going completley out-of-the-way. This is, by far, one of the most diverse, well-arranged, well-composed and creative classic rock album. Every member of Queen is a master at their trade. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are also very diverse. They can be heavy, deep and emotional, or they can be fun, campy and humourus. The lyrics in 'Death on Two Legs' is a venemous stab, with spicy lyrics. Then there is the proceding track, 'Laxing On A Sunday Afternoon' which, lyrically and musically (it is backed by rag-time sounding piano and megaphone vocals) campy fun at it's best. Then there is something like the magnus opus 'Bohemian Rhapsody' which is completley off the wall. Muscially and lyrically, it is a masterpiece - and I commend Freddie Mercury. The lyrics in this one song range from serious, to sad, to campy, to rebellious. The music is the same way - it goes from sad, to campy, to hard-rocking. Freddie Mercury's delivery is excellent, as always. This man is possibly one of the greatest and most gifted singer of all times. His vocal range is incredible, and his style could never be duplicated. He is a master vocalist, lyricist and musician. // 10

Overall Impression: This is, by far, and aside from Greatest Hits releases, Queens best album. It combines styles from abroad and of all sorts, the music is killer, the lyrics and vocals are masterful, and it is just all out music at it's very best. Although every singe song on this album is completley excellent, these are the ones I think best: 'Death on Two Legs' with venemous lyrics and vocals, biting guitar and snapping bass. 'Laxing On A Sunday Afternoon' - pure fun. This is a great, campy, feel good song. 'You're My Best Friend' - this has some excellent vocal delivery and steallar musicianship. And of course, who can forget the classic 'Bohemian Rhapsody'! The classic-rock song of ages. This is muscially and lyrically perfect. In my eyes and ears, there is no flay with this album, and if it were ever stolen, I would buy the album 4 more times, beat the persong who stole it and cherish it for life. You must own this album if you have any self-respect, at all. // 10

A Night At The Opera Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 11, 2005

Sound: I love the music on this album. There are so many different genres and it never gets old. There are styles like jazz, classical, musicals, opera, hard rock, prog-rock, and many more. All the members are equal contributers. Freddie Mercury is probably one of the greatest songers in rock n roll. His vocal range is very wide and can switch around from beautiful singing to rough hardrock. He is also a very good piano player. The pianos in the album are excellent. Brian May is an awesome guitarist. Although there are small amounts of guitars in this album, the times there are guitars are really amazing. John Deacon is a very good bassist. His bass lines stand out when May doesn't play his guitars enough. Roger Taylor is a good drummer. He is also a very good vocalist. He was a better back up vocalist than Brian May and even sang a song by himself in the album. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics range from very good to somewhat okay. The songs are very overexaggerated but its okay because they dont really take themselves too seriously in rhis album. Some songs are very silly and make you laugh. The songs with really good lyrics are Bohemian Rhapsody, The Prophet's Song, and 39. // 8

Overall Impression: This is probably the most diverse Queen album. Some of the best songs include Death On Two Legs, YOu're My Best Friend, and Bohemian Rhapsody. I love that the music and lyrics are very good and the members all contribute equally. I guess that's what makes the album so diverse. What I hate is that its really short and some of the songs are only about 1 minute long. If it got lost, I would look for it. If it got stolen, I would go medieval on the person who stole it and if I lost, I'd just buy it again. // 10

A Night At The Opera Reviewed by: DownDark, on august 16, 2005

Sound: The music styles range from hard rock, pop, folk, and even progressive. They did a good job of mixing opera with rock creating a whole new sound and making a trademark for themselves. This album's sound is all over the place! It's just fun and that's what adds to the album's charm. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, again, suit the style of the music very well. Each member's songwriting skills vary and have their own way of writing songs. 01. Death On Two Legs - a great opener for the album with a great build-up intro! A real raunchy rocker with harsh lyrics about about a manager who really screwed them over. Great rocker 4/5. 02. Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon - a very short, but very fun ragtime song! Great harmonizing in the guitar solo 3/5. 03. I'm In Love With My Car - great blues-rocker track! Great vocals by drummer Roger Taylor. Although, this song doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of the album 3/5. 04. You're My Best Friend - a poignant ballad written by John Deacon. Great vocals by Freddie. A hit off the album and also happens to be John Deacon's first song to be released as a single. A great hit 4/5. 05. '39 - a folk tune with vocals by Brian May. Though the music has a Folk feel, the lyrics are actually written about space and time travel. Wonderful song 4/5. 06. Sweet Lady - another hard-rocker! Again, this song just doesn't fit in with the rest of the album. Subpar lyrics and musical arrangements. A great riff and an amazing solo at the end 3/5. 07. Seaside Rendezvous - campy! Another ragtime song with quirky lyrics and vocals that are tongue in cheek. Cool vocal orchestrations by Freddie and Roger that resemble Brass and Wind instruments. Fun song 4/5. 08. The Prophet's Song - an amazing Progressive Rock song! Lengthy with running time at 8:21. Amazing guitar, bass, drum, and vocal performances all around! I love the vocal solo and how it echoes back and forth. Great spiritual song 5/5. 09. Love Of My Life - another poignant ballad with terrific piano and vocals by Freddie Mercury. A favourite off the album. Such a touching song 5/5. 10. Good Company - another campy song with vocals by Brian May. Resembles an entire jazz band playing the song but just Brian's guitar amps and effects. Good song 3/5. 11. Bohemian Rhapsody - the album's best track and possibly Queen's greatest song in their catalogue! This song alone took over 3 weeks to record. Amazing vocal performances all around by the band with astonishing musical arrangements! Freddie Mercury is an absolute musical genius! A personal favourite of mine and by many other Queen fans and many non-Queen fans! This song was rediscovered when it was featured in the 1992 comedy "Wayne's World" when it suddenly went straight to #1, becoming the only single to top the charts in two totally different occasions! Now that's a classic that won't fail to please the ears! A true highlight 5/5. 12. God Save The Queen - an overlooked instrumental piece with amazing guitars by Brian May. The drums give it a pretty neat effect too 4/5. // 10

Overall Impression: It did compare to other Queen albums like "Queen II" and ANATO's sister album "A Day At The Races" but seing how this is the greatest Queen album, it does not compare to any other albums. The impressive songs are without a doubt "The Prophet's Song" and "Bohemian Rhapsody." I love that this album uses frequent segues. I also love that the band didn't take it too seriously which helped bring out the fun and freewheeling style of this album. There is absolutely nothing that I hate about this album. If it were stolen/lost, I would search for it non-stop and if I couldn't find it, I would definitley buy another copy! It is the ultimate Queena album anybody should add to their collection. It is another all-time favourite for me and is an ultimate classic! // 10

A Night At The Opera Reviewed by: Hanzi_G, on august 17, 2005

Sound: This album reaches out to many styles, which is why it is hard to classify the genre of the album. On this album you will here folk, hard rock, rock opera, classical and pop songs. The quality of the CD is excellent, which makes the tracks even more enjoyable. This is a revolutionary album with a revolutionary sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics change in every song. The lyrics are made to suit the song's feeling, which is an excellent idea. For example, the lyrics are simple and fun for happy songs like "I'm In Love With My Car" and "You're My Best Friend," but deep for songs like "The Prophet's Song." // 10

Overall Impression: My favourite album of all time. The CD is a classic rock masterpiece. This is a definite must buy. I guarantee you'll like the CD, and you will be inspired by it. // 10

More Queen reviews rating latest review
+ Greatest Hits I 9.4 04/24/2012