Live At Wembley Stadium Review

artist: queen date: 06/05/2006 category: compact discs
queen: Live At Wembley Stadium
Released: Aug 19, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock, Album Rock, Glam Rock, Arena Rock, Pop/Rock, British Metal, Prog-Rock/Art Rock
The posthumously released two-disc Live at Wembley '86 proves once and for all that Queen was a superior live band.
 9.6
 9.2
reviews (3) user comments vote for this album:
Live At Wembley Stadium Reviewed by: QueenFan2004, on november 04, 2004

Sound: Queen is a band of majesty. Music fans crave so many things. Some crave a epic, well-constructed, lyrical fantasy, 12 minuet thundering song. Some want a simple acoustic tune. Some want in your face rock. Queen covers all the ends of the spectrum. And this live album, Live At Wembley (Recorded in 1986) displays Queen at their best. Their studio albums are gems, golden crowns. They have released so many classics such as 'Queen II', 'A Night At The Opera', 'Hot Space' and 'Innuendo' (and many more). Live At Wembley has songs from every Queen album that had been recorded at that point. This live album captures Queen, performing these excellent songs - full of energy, passion - and just raw emotion and soul put into these wonderful songs. Word's cannot describe. I own just about every Queen album, but this has to be their best. Sure, it doesn't have the crystal clearness of the studio albums - but it's just thundering, atmospherical - and amazing. Freddie is at the top of his game here. His voice is something to be heard. A range that has never been matched. Charisma that can never be topped. So much soul, emotion and talent. It makes you forget about everything going wrong, and takes you to a different place. There is also his out-of-this world, truley virtuosic piano playing. He plays many classical passages, and sometimes even while singing. He's amazing! Now, we all know what a excellent guitarist Brian May is, and you really get the full effect here. There are many who dismiss him, but if you listen to the twelve minuet, pure guitar solo of Brighton Rock - You will be shaking your head in disbelief. Jimi who? Roger and John are in top form, pounding the drums into submission. You can feel the sticks bang on the skins as they beg for mercy. John is really playing well here, as heard on Another One Bites the Dust and Radio Ga Ga. There are all excellent songs on here, and superior versions. But I would say the best performances include the powerful, grooving 'Tie Your Mother Down', the majestical 'Seven Seas Of Rhye', the soulful 'Under Pressure', and the inspiring 'Radio Ga Ga'. There is also a high energy performance of 'Tear It Up' on here as well. Another thing that must be heard is the version of Bohemian Rhapsody on here. It is chill-inducing, how the crowd sings along, every note, with Freddie. It's amazing! // 10

Lyrics: Queen always wrote great lyrics, and this is a live album so I won't cover them here, but look for a section on lyrics in my Queen studio album reviews. But lets talk about the vocal performance. Freddie is simply the most talented, soulful singer ever. His range is unbelievable. He also plays with the crowd, holding notes and seeing if the crowd can do as well. And even a whole, sold-out Wembley Stadium couldn't hold a note as long as the sole man, Freddie Mercury. Astounding! // 10

Overall Impression: This has to be one of the best Queen albums, right up there with 'A Night At The Opera', 'Queen II', 'Jazz' and 'Innuendo'. They put so much energy, and it createst a haunting atmosphere. There is nothing wrong with this album, it's flawless! If it got lost, I would buy 100 more. // 10

Live At Wembley Stadium Reviewed by: joshsirjoshules, on november 20, 2004

Sound: I would like to start by saying the sound was awesome! Brian May: this was when Brian, and the rest of Queen for that matter, was at his peak. His performance was breath-taking, from the crashing intro of "One Vision," to the riff-o-rama of "Another One Bites The Dust" (the second disc has a better version" to the twelve minute epic "Brighton Rock Solo," which in my opinion, knocks the living shit out of any shredder solo, except for "Eruption." He also presents a great lick at 2:27 in "Under Pressure," and in "Bohemian Rhapsody" after the choir bridge. John Deacon: John brings every bass line in his arsenal to the table, including the Vanilla-Ice stolen bass line in "Under Pressure" to the thundering bass explosion in "Another One Bites The Dust," in which he goes into a sort of slap bass thing that is quite interesting. Roger Taylor: Roger keeps the tempo really well with various drum solo parts that I found quite good. His backing vocals are also quite interesting, but also dissapointed that the others didn't contribute on backing vocals as much as he did. I was also quite impressed with their contributing artist, who played piano ("Crazy Little Thing Called Love," "Under Pressure," "Now I'm Here"), synth ("One Vision," "A Kind Of Magic," "Radio Ga Ga") and rhythm guitar ("Hammer To Fall"). // 10

Lyrics: Freddie is at his best during this concert. His performance is just breath-taking, and you are really able to tell that he was passionate about what he was doing. His skills were just amazing, reaching high notes and low notes really good. His vocal battle with the crowd at the end of "A Kind Of Magic" is as good as it is funny. He also has an interesting improv part on "Impromptu." // 10

Overall Impression: This definitely among my favorite albums. I always judge bands by their live performances, and Queen made it into my Top Ten (which isn't really hard for them). There is nothing to hate about this album, although I did like their cover section a lot, in which they cover an Elvis song and Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti." If you are new to Queen or a long-time fan, this is a great album to buy. // 10

Live At Wembley Stadium Reviewed by: Sceeb-O, on june 05, 2006

Sound: I have to agree with the other 2 reviews: this album is flawless! From the rock riff of One Vision to the uplifting Love Of My Life transferred to the acoustic guitar this has to be Brian May's best work. The 12 minute Brighton Rock solo I don't think anyone can compete with especially for that length of time. There are also unforgettable bass riffs in the forms of Another One Bites The Dust and Under Pressure. Even if you're not a fan of rock there's always something in this album to tickle your fancy. // 10

Lyrics: Freddie Mercury. Need I say more about his powerful voice? Since his death in 1991 no-one has ever had such a magnificent voice as his amd no-one could ever match it. I say the same for Roger Taylor even though he does backing vocals he also has an incredibly powerful voice. The lyrics in the songs are just amazing eg. One Vision, Hammer To Fall, Radio Ga Ga, Love of my Life etc. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't and won't be beaten for performance, entertainment or value. My favourate songs have to be Love of my Life, Is This The World We Created, Hammer To Fall, Radio Ga Ga and We Will Rock You for the solo Brian does. There is nothing I hate about this album, absolutely nothing. If I lost this I don't know what I'd do it's my pride and joy this album. Anywho buy this album! // 10

More Queen reviews rating latest review
+ Greatest Hits I 9.4 04/24/2012