Live Killers Review

9.3
 7.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Live Killers Reviewed by: Hevoc, on january 29, 2004

Sound: This is Queen's first "Live" outing, and It is very good, it has all of their hits and alot of other good songs that came out before this album, so "Play the Game" is missing, since it wasn't written yet. // 8

Lyrics: Live Killers is an fantastic selection of songs played live during the band's exceptional 1979 tour, rivalled in quality only by the impeachable Live At Wembley. Quite where they played is a mystery to me but you can almost physically feel the electricity in the atmosphere when the group enter on to the stage to rapturous applause and rap out a demonically fast-placed We Will Rock You (devoid of the usual thumping of knees/hands in the background but excellent all the same), presumably as a tuning-up period, followed by the extraordinary Let Me Entertain You that plunges from hopelessly over-the-top to ingeniously subtle. The Rock N' Roll Medley features Death On Two Legs, excellently interpreted on stage (not that you could really go wrong with a song of that calibre); Bicycle Race, a pleasure to listen to despite the obvious problem of the original multi-vocal arrangement; I'm In Love With My Car, sung and concocted by Roger "on drums and tiger-skin trousers" Taylor, complete with thumping beat and catchy tune; and of course, ye olde faithful Killer Queen which needs no introduction and without which no medley of Queen's would be complete. The eerie and discomforting Get Down Make Love seems to be at first sight (or hearing, or whatever) a waste of breath as far as Freddie's concerned, but it gradually grows on you and you come to realize that it's a great song if somewhat offbeat (but then again that's Queen for you). You're My Best Friend as ever sums up the emotional side to the group, and it's a nice change to what was the bassline in the studio version played on the piano instead. The song that follows is in complete and utter contrast with it though. The classic Now I'm Here is one of the best songs on the CD(s). It has everything: pounding guitar echo, thumping drumming, longevity, pace and an increasingly complicated duet between Freddie and the very involved audience. A changing of location follows and the singalong part of the CD(s) ensues, figuring the laid-back Dreamer1s Ball that leads straight into the unforgettable Love Of My Life with the audience displaying their vocal talents to great effect. Then Brian and John "on dazzling tie and bass guitar" Deacon combine in a unusual version of '39 that differs greatly from the Night At The Opera rendition, and that brings the singalong part of the concert to a close. Then Queen launch into their trademark Keep Yourself Alive, played to great effect at a blistering pace where no holds are barred, especially in Roger's fantastic solo piece. The next part of the compilation kicks off with Don't Stop Me Now, at the time Queen's most recent single release, and just finding its feet in the new environment of the stage. Another duet follows, as the audience and Freddie collaborate in the beautiful Spread Your Wings, cooked up by John Deacon. As for the next song, well... Brighton Rock offers one of the finest and mind-blowing guitar solos ever strummed out, cementing Brian May's status as one of the best guitar players in the known Universe, and including the unusual and effective three echo technique which leaves the listener enraptured for the full twelve minutes (also features a Timpani solo by Roger). Another change of venue, debuting with Queen's most famous and successful song, Bohemian Rhapsody, which could stroll into any Queen compilation ever made. Emulated only by Keep Yourself Alive on the first CD, the hilarious Tie Your Mother Down blows the crowd away in a fast-paced maelstrom of a song, evidently designed for the stage, that ends the concert proper. The band are called back for an encore, and launch into the superlative Taylor-raver Sheer Heart Attack, where the afore-mentioned somehow musters enough energy to pound out the devilishly-fast song during a few blistering minutes. The crowd, craving for more, call the band back for the combined classics of We Will Rock You, played this time with the tubthumping beat and involving a hyped-up crowd, and We Are The Champions, without which no concert would be complete. The group leave the stage to the tune of the Night At The Opera version of God Save The Queen and to thunderous applause, for a well-earned rest. If you are not yet convinced, I would say that this is Queen's best album, with the exception of Live At Wembley, and a necessity to all Queen fans (without meaning to sound too patronising), if only for the songs Tie Your Mother Down and Keep Yourself Alive! // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album, but it's not my favourite live Queen album, actually, the best bets for me are the videos and DVD's, but it's a pretty great album compared to any other artist live! Great songs, great fun, buy it, you'll enjoy it! (but I still recommend, Live at Wembley Dvd, etc.) // 10

More Queen reviews rating latest review
+ Greatest Hits I 9.4 04/24/2012