Sheer Heart Attack Review

queen: Sheer Heart Attack
Released: Nov 12, 1974
Label: Elektra
Genre: Rock
Styles: Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Pop/Rock, Hard Rock, Glam Rock, Album Rock, Arena Rock, British Metal
It helped bridge the gap between the mystical heavy metal of their early years and the hard rock/pop perfection of future releases.
 8.9
 9.3
 8.4
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Sheer Heart Attack Reviewed by: DownDark, on august 01, 2005

Sound: This is Queen heading into a more heavier sound. Many styles include heavy metal ("Flick Of The Wrist," "Stone Cold Crazy"), pop ("Brighton Rock," "Misfire"), ballads ("Lily Of The Valley," "Dear Friends" etc). // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics haven't totally swayed away from their medieval/fantasy theme that seemed to fill their last album ("Lily Of The Valley," "In The Lap Of The Gods"). Songs about whores ("Killer Queen"), songs about previous performances ("Now I'm Here"), and songs about teenage life ("Tenement Funster"). 01. Brighton Rock - great track written by Brian May. Includes an astonishing guitar solo that only developed over the years. Great song 4/5. 02. Killer Queen - an obvious highlight! Queen's first breakthrough single and rightfully so. This song is just amazing and includes many of Queen's trademarks including harmonized vocals and guitars 5/5. 03. Tenement Funster - most of Roger Taylor's songs don't usually fit in with the rest of the album, but don't mean they aren't good. Not a bad song 3/5. 04. Flick Of The Wrist - a segue from Tenement Funster. An Interesting song with unique lyrics about their manager ripping the band off. I think this song is pre-"Death On Two Legs," but this song just kicks ass 4/5. 05. Lily Of The Valley - a segue from Flick Of The Wrist. A very short ballad with beautiful piano and vocals with some harmonized guitars in the baxkground. Beautiful song 4/5. 06. Now I'm Here - another hit single. The lyrics reflect on about the previous tours with Mott The Hoople. Great rocker with great echoed vocals 4/5. 07. In The Lap Of The Gods - a strange song that really grows on you if you give it a chance. Very interesting musical arrangements. Catchy chorus too 3/5. 08. Stone Cold Crazy - another hit single that would only prove to be inspirational. Metallica covered this song in 1991. A very fast rocker with strange lyrics that really shows that Queen had what it takes to be a Heavy Metal band. Great song 4/5. 09. Dear Friends - another very short, but touching ballad. The harmonized vocals are done magnificently and is just a nice tune, but I think I can speak for all of us and say that it's nothing different from Lily Of The Valley 3/5. 10. Misfire - John Deacon's first song for the band, and is a pretty good one! Catchy and happy, overall a good Pop song 3/5. 11. Bring Back That Leroy Brown - doesn't really sound much like anything Queen has ever done but they have. Very 30's music hall-esque sound to it. Another catchy track 3/5. 12. She Makes Me (Stormtrooper In Stilettos) - don't ask me about the subtitle, I don't know- anyway, this song is sung by Brian May, I think. Could be by Freddie Mercury or both. Nice acoustic song with slow, pounding drums. Nice song 3/5. 13. In The Lap Of The Gods... Revisited - yes this song is more of a bluesy version, opposed to the operetic version. This song has great lyrics, vocals, piano, everything! I love how the song ends triumphantly with the loud cries that sounds like an entire crowd. The song also ends with a loud explosion. Awesome song 4/5. The CD also includes a remix of "Stone Cold Crazy" which has new drums recorded. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has to be one of Queen's greatest albums among "A Night At The Opera" and "Queen II." All of the songs are impressive in their own ways. I love that this uses segues as their last album did. I hate that it's a little short and how the nice ballads are the short ones. If it was stolen chances are I would buy another copy. It is definately worth buying, so go out there and buy it! // 10

More Queen reviews rating latest review
+ Greatest Hits I 9.4 04/24/2012