Songs For The Deaf Review

9.3
 8.9
 9.6
Songs For The Deaf Featured review by: UG Team, on july 29, 2003

Overall Impression: Rated R was always going to be a hard act to follow and did QOTSA do it?

Well when you look at the cover you see a very serious album and a more personal one and that is what it is right from the first track you hear a 45 second intro sampled from a radio show followed by heavy guitars yes the guitar still sounds very simple but this time round you sense more personal the single of the album no one knows is the most likely to be a single of the album butthat might be the only downfall of this album which is its not really a singles album its more like a journey like dark side of the moon but much more simplier and to the point.

There is also a live version of the lost art of keeping a secret to keep old fans happy and its the sort of record you could listen for a month stright through then put it down and dont listen to it for years but i sense in 20 years time this record would be talked about as a breaking point for future producing as people like to call it the future of music and thats what it sounds like this might be their masterpiece who knows not a commerical album more a personal one which might not suit well with the mainstream some samples on here aswell showing a direction foreward for the band all the songs may sound a little like the same but its powerfull stuff which takes you on a 60 minute journey and one of the albums of the year so far it justs asks the question what will they do next? // 8

Songs For The Deaf Reviewed by: drevil814, on may 03, 2004

Sound: This CD has one of the greastest sound I've heard in a long time. With the hate themed "Six Shooter" or the more mellow "No One Knows", with the most memorable riff I've ever heard, you are going to find something you like. If you've heard any other Queens of the Stone Age albums, you would realize how much they have come from they're first album. // 10

Lyrics: Switching Mark Lanegan to the new lead singer is a good move on Queens of the Stone Age's part and mixed with bassist Olivieri it blends together perfectly. Josh Homme is a great songwriter and it shows in such songs as "Gonna Leave You" and "No One Knows". // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is a must own! It's as simple that. It is a great improvement since they're first album. I was most impressed by "No One Knows", "Go With the Flow" and "Do it Again". I love everything about this CD, and so far it is my favorite CD in my collection. It even beat "Darkside of the Moon" by Pink Floyd! If it was stolen, I would find out who did it track them down, beat them, and if there was a single scratch on it, beat them again. It's just that good! // 10

Songs For The Deaf Reviewed by: inutero2759, on march 14, 2005

Sound: Track 1: A Car Starts, an unknown driver flips through several radio stations before settling on a KLN Los Angeles. "Clone Radio - We play the songs that sound more like everyone else, than anyone else," announces a voiceover proudly. But from the moment the song begins, it is obvious that this album is anything but a clone. Ranging from the joyously overdone, in such tracks as "You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar But I Feel Like A Millionaire," and "Six Shooter," to the riff-riddled, dinosaur rock in tracks such as "God Is In The Radio," and "No One Knows," this album excites on many levels. It sets its own rules, then breaks them, it moves in one direction, then quickly breaks off and goes in a new one, it finds the perfect ending in the heavey, harsh, "Song For The Deaf," then begins anew with "Mosquito Song," a melancholy, secretive track that leaves the listener wondering. From beginning to end, this album will knock you off your feet, and as it ends, you find yourself wishing for more. This is a prize fighter in top form, a single shining beacon in the desolate desert of modern rock, a rock band at its very best. Listen. Enjoy. Then listen again. I promise you won't be disapointed. // 10

Lyrics: Joshua Homme has always been a great lyricist, fantastic singer and spectacular guitarist. He continues the tradition, and even amplifies it, in this masterpiece. For example, the masterpiece "No One Knows." "We get some rules to follow/ That and this/ These and those/ No one knows," he whines over the backdrop of a rock-stomp chord progression. His mental unhinging becomes the fascination of the listener as the song progresses, but over what? A woman? A friend? In the end it doesn't matter, as it seems no one understands his plight. The true lyrical highlight can be found in "God Is In The Radio," in which Homme plays on the falsity and assumption of faith. He assures his followers "I know that God is in the radio/ Just repeating a slogan," and encourages them to continue their good behavior in the name of God. The rest of the album continues in this grand style, sometimes barely comprehensible, sometimes clear as day, but mostly brilliant. // 10

Overall Impression: This is truly a complete album, one of the first of the 2000's. Strung together (unnecessarily) by a running joke (from time to time, a pecuiar radio station DJ will intruduce the next song), all the pieces of this album fit together nicely. There are few flaws, but the most obvious are found in "Mosquito Song," and two of the heavier tracks "You Think I Ain't Worth a Dollar..." and "Six Shooter." To say these songs are overdone is in fact an exaggeration. They go far beyond the realms of normal flamboyance, "Mosquito Song," is an insanely grand parable, chock full of instruments most rock band don't use: at times it's brilliant, at times it's too much. At the other end of the spectrum, "Six Shooter," is often harsh to the ears and unnecessarily cacophonus. Nevertheless, for each blemish, there are about a million bright spots. Each song has its own style, yet is also distinctly a Queens production. Truly unequaled by any other album, and completely undefinable by prior means, this album will keep the blood flowing from the opening howl, to the final bass growl ("Fffoorr the deaf"), a chilling finish to a one of a kind masterpiece. // 10

Songs For The Deaf Reviewed by: hellfire21, on february 02, 2008

Sound: Josh Homme did a great job with selecting a drummer for this cd. Dave Grohl, drummer of the grunge band Nirvana and frontman to the Foo Fighters, appears as the drummer on "Songs for the Deaf". The CD is different, featuring radio segments before and after songs. Nick Oliveri (bass) and Homme sing together well. And Josh does a good job with the guitar riffs. But my favorite part is defeneitly Grohl's drumming. A diferrent style from the insane pounding of Nirvana, but style rather loud, Dave does a wonderful job here. A 9 for the sound of "Songs for the Deaf". // 9

Lyrics: The vocals are split between bass player Nick Oliveri and Josh Homme. The lyrics here are well written on songs like "Go With the Flow", "No One Knows", and "Gonna Leave You". Nick and Josh have a similar sound to their voices. Josh does most of the backing vocals on the songs Josh sings and sound rather eerie with the music, but it goes great. A strong 8 for the combined efforts of Josh Homme and Nick Oliveri. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my favorite QOTSA cd. I love "No One Knows", "Gonna Leave You", "Go With the Flow", and "Mosquito Song". I have no problem with the CD, except maybe I would've liked to hear Dave do backing vocal somewhere. Defeinetly would buy this CD again if lost or something. This is a must buy for QOTSA fans featuring my favorite lineup. A 9 for QOTSA's "Songs for the Deaf". // 9

Songs For The Deaf Reviewed by: winkypop, on march 29, 2004

Sound: This is a very strange album. It uses a fake Spanish radio station to introduce songs. The style Josh and Nick have gone for, I feel, is a very moody style. The lyrics are ace the singing is great, everything's bo! The guitarists in QOTSA are obviously very talented going by this album. This is the only album I've heard from them, but they do sound very good. I love to hear the thumping sound of First it Giveth. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics were thought up by Josh, and they are very good, especially in the Mosquito Song. Homme has a great voice, and so does Olivieri. // 8

Overall Impression: This is probabley one of the best albums in my collection. It didn't do so well as it had its critics, but I think it is awesome. Much better than Foo Fighters' One By One. First It Giveth, and Hanging Tree are maybe the two best. I love the slightly dark side to this album, but I don't really like the fake Spanish radio station. But I dont think it spoils it. If it were stolen, I would go out and buy another copy the next day, so obviously it is completely worth buying. // 10

Songs For The Deaf Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 16, 2004

Sound: SFTD has a sound unlike any other. Its still got that signature QOTSA sound that we all know and love, but totaly different. After comming off there rated R album, which was pretty much a great joke on the whole rock thing, they realy sat down and wrote some great guitar riffs. They managed to get Dave Grohl back on the drums, so you already know that the drums will sound excilent. Stand-out songs from SFTD are the hit single of the album, No One Knows, with its awsome guitar riffs. Go With The Flow, was a fun song with a great video. My personal favorite sounding song would have to be the hidden track, Mosquito Song, a very well crafted 12 stringed guitar song. If you thing most all modern rock is crap, chech this album out. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are amazing in SFTD. Josh Holme, who has managed to carrie his lyrical stylings from his former band Kyuss and has even carried it through the first two QOTSA albums has managed to keap it fresh every time. The anti-love songs in SFTD are good stand-out lyrical songs, but my favorite for lyrics will have to be Mosquito Song again. It's a song about a topic no one would have thought of ever, but these guys thought of it and pulled it off. // 8

Overall Impression: With all the praise I've been giving this album, your probably wondering why I didn't give it a 5. There was one thing that buged me about this album. The hit single No One Knows was such a great song, that it over-shadowed the rest of the album. SFTD had the potential to be one of the great rock albums of the past few years, but because of that and this wasn't an album that was publicised too well. This is the type of album that in ten to twenty years from now, it will be praised as the greatest rock album of our time. I will you leave you with my last thoughts, when I first heard SFTD, I though that I was driving down a desart road, and that's just the style of the album. // 8

Songs For The Deaf Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 15, 2006

Sound: Really dissapointing, I love Queens Of The Stone Age, they are one of my favourite bands I first heard the Lullabys To Paralyze album and it rocked I then bought this one as it was the one everyone said was best but it was really dull, ok so it has a few great songs like First It Giveth but the rest of the album just went on and on and got worse and worse. Rated R and Lullabys To Paralyze are both a million times better than this piece of crap. Trust me you really should buy them instead. If you want to know what Queens Of The Stone Age are really like read a review for another album. // 7

Lyrics: Queens Of The Stone Age have never had the best lyrics, they're alright but you can tell by the fact that they never print the lyrics with the album that they aren't proud of them. Josh sings the more poetic intelligent lyrics and he has a great voice he just sings effortlessly and his voice just sounds really cool nick sings the 'I'm stoned, look at me, I'm stupid, have sex with me' etc. songs he can't really sing he just shouts but it somehow sounds quite good anyway. // 7

Overall Impression: Better than a lot of artists but poor for Queens Of The Stone Age the best songs are First It Giveth, The Sky Is Falling, Go With The Flow and a Song For The Deaf. If it were stolen or lost I'd buy something else. // 5

Songs For The Deaf Reviewed by: Burningwood, on june 23, 2008

Sound: What an amazing album. This is the type of album that makes band like QOTSA musch more poplar and famous than ever before. Unfortunately, Josh&co have chosen themselves a shite band name (top marks for individuality, but no still a shite choice), which will at first put most potential music fans off. What I guess first drew a number of new fans to this band was the incredible single No One Knows. And with tracks like that, they should continue to amaze fans. // 10

Lyrics: After following up the good, but over rated (it was the last one that I bought, after songs, lullabies, and era, and quite frankly it wasn't worth 10) Rated R, one of the Queens' strongest points is their ability concerning lyrics and vocals. Although Josh is the lead vocalist on this album (or any QOTSA album) bassist Nick sings on Millionaire and Six Shooter and rythem guitarist Mark sing on Hanging Tree and A Song For The Dead and A Song For The Deaf, and their vocal talents are perfectly suited for those songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally, this is my all time favrote album, and I would recomend it to all those who, in the 6 yoears that it has been out, bought a copy. The video for No One Knows is one of the best, and go with the flow can lift my mood at any time. The best songs on this album were: Millionaire, No One Knows, A Song For The Dead, Sky Is Falling, Hanging Tree, Go With The Flow, and A Song For The Dead. Probably the best bit of this incredible album is either: guitar solos, the rytyems of tracks like hanging tree, Dave Grohl's amazing drumming and the radio clips inbetween most songs, especially after track 5. If this album was stolen, I would deffinately buy it again (even though I alredy have it on windows media player, yes, it's that good). // 10

Songs For The Deaf Reviewed by: Philly080, on january 12, 2009

Sound: Let me tell you, this band has probably the most unique sound for any hard rock band out there. The fuzzy sounding guitars (best heard in "The Sky is Falling") sound great and most songs have an eerie undertone to them. There is no doubt this is a concept album, with some breaks in between songs where you hear flipping through radio stations and a radio on-air. With the first few listens of the album it seems appropriate but after I while I just skipped through them to get to the music, which is the high point of the album. Tracks such as "No One Knows", "The Sky is Falling", and "God is on the Radio" stand out musically. The other tracks complement well and keep you listening. // 10

Lyrics: Josh Homme is overall a solid singer and his voice perfectly fits the music, at times giving it an even more dark and eerie feeling. Mark Lanegan and Nick Oliveri also pitch in on vocals in a couple songs. Lanegan sounds well in "Hanging Tree" but I don't care too much for Oliveri's frantic screaming. I'm not the one to go to for lyrics, because 90% of the time I'm all about the music and just listening to what's going on with the guitars and drums and whatnot. From what I do pay attention to the lyrics for the most part sound dark/gloomy/stranded. Trust me when I say the focus when listening to this album should be mainly on the music. // 7

Overall Impression: If you're new to QOTSA, this is THE album. It best represents them and is definetly their most complete album (although there is a bit too much filler). It has a warm feel to it, countered by a dark outlook on the world. It's for the most part heavy. Dave Grohl plays drums on the album and he really does well (Listen to "No one Knows" or Millionare). This was the first album I bought when I heard of QOTSA, and I am a big fan of the group now. If you like good heavy music, give it a listen. // 9

Songs For The Deaf Reviewed by: VarunRock, on may 05, 2010

Sound: I was pretty new to Queens of teh Stone Age and now I'm hooked on them. Every single song is lovable in there own way No one knows is one Fantastic riff, first it giveth is another song that you'll get hooked onto, a song for the dead is definatly one for expreimental rock lovers, the sky is fallin shows us the more effects of there guitars and shows how well Josh's voices flows with the music. Go with the flow is as catchy as it's name, gonna leave you is very cool to listen to, To be honest every single song grabs different parts of your mind especially mosquito song in my U.K version there are two live performances which are great to listen to as well. // 10

Lyrics: I've never really paid attention to the lyrics but again in this album we get three different singers and lyricists Nick is mroe heavier, Josh is mroe melodic and Mark lets the music talk more. But if you pay ttention to the lyrics there are some nice melodies to it and they fit perfectly with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: This album will have you hooked, I love every single song on the album except six shooter, I got this album from HMV for 4! So I basically got 16 hard rockin songs at such a cheap price so I was chuffed, although I was hoping for the lyrics to be written somwhee but it's no big deal and yes if I lost it I would go back and buy it. For anyone into hard rock or addictive riffs with three different kinds of singers then buy this! // 10

More Queens Of The Stone Age reviews rating latest review