American Soldier Review

queensryche: American Soldier
Released: Mar 31, 2009
Genre: Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal
Label: Atco Records/Rhino Entertainmen
The CD is the band's 10th full-length studio album with original material and the songs lyrical content tells the story of war from a firsthand perspective.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.2
 8.4
American Soldier Reviewed by: \m/Metallica, on july 09, 2009

Sound: Overall, the sounds employed by Queensryche in this album are quite heavy, and and remind you of the Operation Mindcrime I and II days. It is, as many know, a concept album, depicting the wars that America has fought in roughly the past 50-60 years, and has many narratives from real-life veterans showing their views on that war, and war in general. Songs like "If I Were King" have a real story behind it. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on "American Soldier" are quite profound, and in some cases blindingly real. Geoff Tate has aquirred these narratives and stories for a very long time, and has used them to create a real concept album, that has real meaning. Geoff Tate is, as always, one of the best singers to ever front a band. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, it is an album that is reminiscent of something they would have done in the 80's, like I said earlier, Operation Mindcrime I and II. The sound is actually much close to the album Empire though. The lyrics almost remind me of Rage Against The Machine... With a much better singer though. I love the narratives in there... But I wish Chris DeGarmo was back as lead guitar and shredding some solos... I would definitely buy this album back if it was stolen or lost. // 10

American Soldier Reviewed by: vanguard_124, on january 07, 2010

Sound: Queensryche is one of my favorite bands, and this is my second favorite album they have made (Empire is first). My family has had many people in the military, and this is a great tribute to those fighting men and women who do America's real work. The band's sound is slightly heavier on this album, which I find appealing. The songs are both artistic and entertaining at the same, and I enjoyed every one of the songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very deep and show the pain and strife these soldiers go through. The lyrics fit perfectly with the music and make a fantastic combination, very pleasant to my ears. Geoff Tate has to be one of the greatest vocalists in the music industry, his voice has a fantastic range that sends chills down my spine every time I listen to it. // 10

Overall Impression: American Soldier and Operation: Mindcrime I & II are about equal in quality to me, but the theme of American Soldier makes it something better overall. The one song I enjoyed most was At 30,000 ft. the lyrics just explain how these guys in their huge bombers actually feel (well, I don't actually know how they feel, its just how I imagined they feel) the song is amazing with Geoff Tate's vocals singing while you hear the line "I'm above it in the air" in the background. I love the fact that they use the actual voices of soldiers to narrate what the theme of the songs are, and there is absolutely nothing I can find bad about this album besides the fact that DeGarmo isn't playing any amazing solos. If I lost this album I would definitely buy it again. // 10

American Soldier Reviewed by: ARS0NiiST, on april 27, 2009

Sound: Here's Queensryche a band that's been around a while, but there no longer worried about the quality of there music, they just got lazy picked a controversial subject (The war in Iraq) and recorded an album. I'm not saying I could do any better but I know they could have. The music in this album is not very catchy, interesting or enjoyable it's just music not good music but not horrible. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are nothing short of depressing although depressing lyrics aren't always good lyrics. I respect the U.S. Armed forces just as much as any other American but I really felt bored listening to Geoff Tate ramble on about fighting in the war. Obviously Tate has no first hand experience in the U.S. Military, so all the lyrics are fiction or are based on stories he had heard in the first stage of the writing process where he interview multiple American soldiers. // 5

Overall Impression: I never really like Queensryche, but I respect them even less with the release of American Soldier. Part of the problem with the album is that it's lack of catchy music. Not only are the songs unoriginal, but also the music itself is monotonous. The music was so boring I found it hard to listen to the album even once let alone the second and third time. Now don't get me wrong this album is no Scream (Chris Cornell), But it isn't any Physical graffiti (Led Zeppelin) either. If this album was lost or stolen I probably wouldn't even notice. // 6

More Queensryche reviews rating latest review
+ Queensryche 7.9 07/01/2013