Operation: Mindcrime Review

queensryche: Operation: Mindcrime
Release Date: Apr 27, 1988
Label: EMI America
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Progressive Metal, Album Rock
Despite the occasional flaws, it's surprising how well Operation: Mindcrime does work, and it's a testament to Queensryche's creativity and talent that they can pull off a project of this magnitude.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.8
 9.9
 9.6
Operation: Mindcrime Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 05, 2007

Sound: Why oh why am I the first to be reviewing this album? Does anyone else have ears and fingers? This is, without a doubt, the best metal album ever made, one of the best rock operas ever, and just one of the best albums ever. Here's the sound in a nutshell: take the general song structure of Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, add some David Gilmour guitar tone, a few quiet moody breaks like Floyd with some twelve string guitar and keyboard, mix in one of the best vocalists ever (Geoff Tate), and back it up with constant awesome drumming. That's the formula for making a nearly unequaled album. Highlights are so hard to chose because almost every song is someone's favourite. They are all so good that there's no way to pick the best. For me, the highlight would be The Mission because no one has delivered a vocal performance that good in any song I have ever heard. // 10

Lyrics: Quite simply, the best lyrics on any album, with the possible exception(s) of Dark Side of the Moon and/or The Wall. As far as the rock opera story goes, it's about on par with the wall. I won't give anything away because it is too epic. Like I said before, Tate is one of the best singers ever. Very few songs/albums can come close to his vocals and the lyrics on this album. // 10

Overall Impression: It's, along with The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, my 2nd favourite album ever after Dark Side. I can't begin to explain how good it is. And if it were stolen, I would not stop until I found and ended the person who took it. Well, maybe I'd be forgiving. After all, I don't think anyone in their right mind could resist this album. // 10

Operation: Mindcrime Reviewed by: stonyman65, on march 03, 2008

Sound: I have to say, I've never really heard any of Queensryche's music before I listened to Operation: Mindcrime, but after the first run through I think this is one of the best albums ever. Wilton's guitar is amazing, kind of like George Lynch meets John Pertucci, I love how they intertwined the story into the album. Unlike most bands, their songs actually have some meaning. They tell a great 'Madman take over the world' story and put it together with some great heavy metal. Not as "progressive" as bands like Dream Theater, but the music is great. // 10

Lyrics: Everything fits in well together. Like I said before, the lyrics tell astory and put out a message. It's kind of sad though that most of the trings they say about the Governemnt and general society are true like "Revolution Calling," the lyrics "I used to trust the media to tell me the truth, tell us the truth" and "now I see the pay-offs everywhere I look; who do you trust when everyone's a crook?" The songs scream out all of the things that we all think and want to say but are too afraid to. The singer's skills where great, It took me awhile to dig his voice, but I was to focused on the guitar to really care. // 9

Overall Impression: The most impressive songs on the album would have to be "Revolution Calling", "Operation Mindcrime", "Spreading the Disease" and "The Needle Lies," together they tell an awesome story and leave you wanting more. The only things I didn't like about the album was the recording quality (but they could only do so much when it was produced, and converting it from casset tape) and the fact that I think the album was way to short and open ended. I wish they could have made it longer and completed the story, but hey, that's what Operation Mindcrime 2 is for! If this album where lost or stolen, I would buy it again. It's just one of those albums every guitar player (or Metal Head) should have. It should be a law. This album is great, to me, I think it is one of the all time greatest albums ever. Before Mindcrime, I haven't really listened to Queensryche before so I can't compare this album to others but if they are anything like this, they deserve a listen. // 10

More Queensryche reviews rating latest review
+ Queensryche 7.9 07/01/2013