Operation: Mindcrime II Review

queensryche: Operation: Mindcrime II
Release Date: Mar 14, 2006
Label: Rhino
Genres: Prog-Rock/Art Rock, Progressive Metal, Album Rock, Heavy Metal
Set 20 years later, and awash in "rock, revenge, and redemption," this brilliant new sequel was inspired by current political and social climates.
 8.7
 9.5
 7.9
Operation: Mindcrime II Reviewed by: FacEraser117, on april 18, 2006

Sound: This is the newest Queensryche album to date. This album is a continuation of the first Mindcrime CD. I'm not sure exactly what the story behind the whole Mindcrime thing is, but it adds a cool element to the sound. The recording quality is exelent. Michael Wilton's guitar work on this album is amazing. This album has more heavy songs than slow songs. A lot of the songs start out slow and get heavier as time goes on. They use some weird voice tracks at the begining of some of the songs that sound really cool. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals on this album are awsome. I think that Queensryche singer Geoff Tate is one of the best rock singers ever. The vocals go great with the music. The lyrics, like a lot of Queensryche albums, are somewhat political. Espically the song I'm American. I'm not posivtive but it sounds like Ronnie James Dio guest stars on one of the songs, which is very cool. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think that this is one of the best Queensryche albums to date. My favorite songs are One Foot in Hell, I'm American, The Hands and Re-Arange You. None of the songs are just ok. All songs are amazing. You can tell that they didn't just throw this album together in a few days. I would recommend this CD to any Queensryche fan. // 10

Operation: Mindcrime II Reviewed by: ScruffMcGruff, on august 20, 2007

Sound: The sound of Queensryche's new Operation Mindcrime II album is definitely more widespread then it's prequel. That something which I've indulged in, yet it is also something which is holding me back from giving the sound a solid ten rating. I wasn't expecting to hear a dark synthy opening in the first "Freiheit ouverture" track or for that matter hear more orchestral or synthesized sounds snuck into the a couple of tracks in the album. That's just not Queensryche, and I think they could've done without that. Aside from that, I think Queensryche has adopted a new taste which I'm loving already. Their songs are a bit heavier, yet they keep the same "Mystery Ballad" theme adopted from the prequel. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrical content is very clever, and it's poetic, but not the point of where you're guessing so many things about what it means that the lyrics could mean a zillion things. So you're never lost in the story. Accompanied by the lyrics are background sounds to let you know what the characters are doing, it gives you a vivid picture of the environments that characters are in. It's almost like a movie. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a worthy follow up to Operation Mindcrime I, but not quite as good. Like I said, they're sound is different than previous albums like Empire and even Operation Mindcrime I. The album is heavier than the prequel, which is pretty cool if you're in favor of that stuff. But if you bought the album to listen to more Operation Mindcrime themed songs, that's in there too. The album also has some other little stuff in there that will throw you off a little. It's definitely a worth while album to get. // 9

More Queensryche reviews rating latest review
+ Queensryche 7.9 07/01/2013