Metal Health Review

quiet riot: Metal Health
Release Date: 1983
Label: Pasha
Genres: Pop-Metal, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Album Rock, Pop/Rock
Metal Health would eventually earn one-hit wonder status thanks to Quiet Riot's inability to deliver anything resembling a decent follow-up.
 7.2
 6.7
 7.6
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Metal Health Reviewed by: E V H 5150, on november 24, 2006

Sound: This was the first metal album to hit #1 on the charts. It's got some good songs, and some not-so-good songs. Quiet Riot is a band that is often forgotten. It's got some heavey songs, like Breathless, Run For Cover, Danger Zone, and a short little guitar solo, "Battle Axe". It's got Cum On Feel The Noize, which is one of the best party anthems ever, and Metal Health (Bang Your Head). Metal Health is a good song, but I wouldn't consider it a great song to headbang to. // 7

Lyrics: 01. Metal Health - it's a good song. The solo sounds great, the bass is mostly just root notes, and the drum beat is simple. The lyrics are good, but I think this song should be faster if you want to really headbang. 02. Cum On Feel The Noize - despite the horrid spelling of the song, it's still good. The drum beat is again really simple, the guitar is simple, the solo is instantly recognizable, the bass is still just root notes, and the singer sounds like he's trying to sing without much effort. Actually, Quiet Riot didn't even want this song. 03. Don't Wanna Let You Go - same as all the others. Simple bass, drums, guitar, lyrics. 04. Slick Black Cadillac - how good can a song about a car be? Well, this one's catchy, but still it's rather simple. You might be noticing the theme of simplicity, but you don't need to be Eddie Van Halen or Slash to do a good song. 05. Love's A Bitch - slow beginning. Not much to say here, really. 06. Breathless - starts off with some drums, a galloping rhythm, nice guitar work, and screaming. 07. Run For Cover - starts off fast. I think it's kind of a stupid song, and I'm not a fan of screaming singers. 08. Battle Axe - it's mostly little riffs and licks here and there. It's not the greatest, but it does a great job leading into the next song. 09. Let's Get Crazy - an attempt at a catchy party anthem. Same as all the others. 10. Thunderbird - wait, this is odd. After all these songs, suddenly there's a piano? And the singer is actually clean-sounding? This is an attempt at one of those inspirational songs, and is out of place. But it's still pretty good. 11. Danger Zone - same as most of the others. 12. Slick Black Cadillac Live - Slick Black Cadillac, except live. The sound is pretty boring, and really nothing new. Not much to say, really. // 6

Overall Impression: It's one of the worst in my collection, which includes Van Halen, Scorpions, Pearl Jam, Ozzy, GN'R, Steve Miller, Tommy Boy Soundtrack (randomly), Tom Petty, The Police, and other stuff. None of the songs are all that impressive. Not much to love here, but it's not bad enought to hate. If it were lost, I would say "oh well". It's all on my computer anyway. // 7

Comments