Second Heat Review

racer x: Second Heat
Release Date: 1987
Label: Shrapnel
Genres: Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Guitar Virtuoso
Second Heat's overall style follows the well-established Judas Priest/Van Halen template, but each song is punctuated with detailed pyrotechnical touches from the guitarists, and the rest of the band, for that matter.
 8.3
 7.4
 9.2
Second Heat Reviewed by: Lafit86, on april 13, 2007

Sound: This album was relased in 1988, year that has seen to arise groups like Cacophony and Dream Teather (also if their first album was pubblicated one year later). Racer X line-up is a little different respect Street Lethal album, infact the drummer was replaced by Scott Travis and a new guitarist was engaged (his name is Bruce Bouillet and was a student of Paul in GIT). The legend narrate that this two guys, Paul and Bruce play together until eight hours to the day. The results are perfectly visible in Cd's tracks. As it regards the sound, it's very different respect their first album. At my advice the volume of drums it too high and the guitar are too much distorted. // 8

Lyrics: In my opinion Jeff Martin is not a good singer (he is better as drummer, like he'll dimostrate in Badlands). That's because his voice isn't very suitable for the kind of music played by the group, I think Jeff voice is better for a death metal group. The best tracks are those instrumental wherewe can see all the talent of this very great musicians. // 7

Overall Impression: My vote is conditioned by the fact that in this CD there are only two interesting song. The first is Scarified (that I consider one of the best instrumental rock song), a must for any Paul Gilbert or shred guitar fun; and the second is Heart Of A Lion given away from Jeff's friend Rob Halford (yes it's a Judas Priest song). However this is a unique album and rappresent together with Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force and Cacophony's Speed Metal Symphony cds, the bible of neo-classical rock. W Racer X, w Paul Gilbert (my fovourit guitarist). // 8

Second Heat Reviewed by: jamiedonnelly93, on april 11, 2007

Sound: I believe that the sound on Second Heat is good. Could be better. However their is no doubt that the musicians are extremely talented. The album was the second Racer X album and was released in 1988. Paul Gilbert is without any doubt the most talented guitarist in the world today, he can play so fast and have such a great tone and being so young at the time was just such an achievement in it's own sense. Paul Gilbert was frequently compared to Yngwie J Malmsteen due to his fast playing and occasional neo-classical pieces. Jeff Martin sounded very good on this albums with the lyrics heard clearly over Paul Gilbert (Guitars), Bruce Bouillet (Guitars), Scott Travis (Drums) and John Alderete (Bass) with you still being able to hear them. There is some unbelievable shredding during this album and the bass is also clearly heard. The bass player (John Alderete) is now in a successful music career playing in the band The Mars Volta, guitarist (Paul Gilbert) has had an amazing career with Mr. Big and a strong solo career as well as a successful string of lessons he wrote entitled 'The School Of Shred' for Total Guitar, vocalist (Jeff Martin) sung for Surgical Steel and played drums for Badlands, Blindside Blues Band and RedSea, guitarist (Bruce Bouillet) has been in bands such as DC-10, The Scream and currently touring with Paul Gilbert on his solo tour. Lastly drummer (Scott Travis) is known for being the drummer for Judas Priest. I think the sound is a 7 and that's because the tone could be a lot better and the distortion is kind of distorted in a not so positive way in some occasions. It is a good sounding album and that's why it's a 7 the potential for the sound is so much higher than what was excelled. // 7

Lyrics: I also believe that alike the sound the lyrics are again good, there are not many lyrics throughout the album due to long solos and unbelievable instrumentals such as Scarified. Jeff Martin however is a very talented vocalist but it is a bit too typical '80s very high pitched and can be compared with Jim Gillette's singing style from Nitro as they are both very high pitched, however it could also be compared to the singing of Yngwie J. Malmsteen as it is very typical '80s once more. As for singing skills I would say that for the time he was a great vocalist as again it was very typical 80's but as of nowadays it's a bit dated. Sometimes on this record it's a bit blurry and you have to strain to hear the lyrics but this is only once or twice. I must credit the backing vocals also as they cause a great harmony and also sound very well when the guitars are harmonizing too. I've given this a seven as alike the sound the potential is immense but didn't fulfill. Therefore I am forced to put that lyrics on this album are good. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall the album is a good album. As far as technicality goes this album is up there with bands like Nitro and Dream Theatre. But as this is going down as an album on a whole perspective I am going to have to stick with it only being a good album. If it were to be lost or stolen I probably wouldn't buy it again as there are so many other Racer X albums that are better, just look at Technical Difficulties and you will see that over 20 years how much they have musically developed. I think this album compares massively with Nitro's O.F.R but if you have to choose between both of these albums choose O.F.R for every reason I can think of (Unless you absolutely hate Michael Angelo Batio or you are deeply in love with Paul Gilbert). I, being a massive fan of Paul Gilbert would have to recommend O.F.R over Second Heat as Michael Angelo Batio's shredding chops are revealed as being somewhat alike robots it is so precise, and considering he started of as a pianist he is an immense guitarist, the only thing he isn't good at compared to Paul Gilbert, playing the guitar wise is that Paul Gilbert is a more smoother guitarist and easier to listen too but apart from that buy O.F.R. Personally I like Paul Gilbert over Michael Angelo Batio anyway but if your looking for technicality then go for Nitro. // 7

More Racer X reviews rating latest review