My Iron Lung [EP] Review

radiohead: My Iron Lung [EP]
Release Date: Jul 13, 1993
Label: EMI
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Britpop
No Radiohead fan's collection is complete without the My Iron Lung EP.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.9
My Iron Lung [EP] Reviewed by: a_rush_of_blood, on january 17, 2006

Sound: This EP is indicative of the massive change in Radiohead's sound between the debut Pablo Honey and the follow up LP The Bends. On this EP, acoustics are utilized in the flighty Lozenge Of Love, the epically emotional and stunning You Never Wash Up After Yourself, as well as an acoustic version of Creep. However, Radiohead dont neglect the amplifiers with tracks like the opener My Iron Lung, the only track here to make it to The Bends, Lewis (Mistreated) which shows the difference inbetween Pablo Honey rocking out and Bends rocking out, and Permanent Daylight. // 10

Lyrics: Thom is on fine form here, with a scowl on My Iron Lung, critising the rollerdoor effect of the record industry in relation to their own Creep, and Punchdrunk Lovesick Singalong which lives up to its tile. Thom is still evolving into the powerful and sarcastic writer on OK, but his voice is less of the howl on some of the lesser parts of Pablo Honey and more the croon of the Bends. // 9

Overall Impression: This EP is a fine addition to any collection. The only track I could fault was The Trickster. Kicking off with My Iron Lung and the more occky songs it disintegrates musically into Thom sitting with an acoustic for the last 3 tracks. At 29 minutes long, two more tracks or so and it could be a full-length. Definately worth the money. // 10

My Iron Lung [EP] Reviewed by: Koeniewoonie, on october 08, 2007

Sound: I have always been a big Radiohead fan. I've been looking for this EP for almost a year now, I finally founded it! The EP starts of with the single "My Iron Lung", Radiohead's answer on nirvana's Heart Shaped Box. On this album you can really hear and feel that the band is going to a more alternative sounds. This E'P gives you the "Bends" feeling. // 9

Lyrics: It's Thom Yorke! One of the best songwriters in the music history. I like the strange lyrics you can hear in "My Iron Lung". in the chorus he sings: "The head-shrinkers, they want everything," love those kind of lyrics. I love track number 7. "You never wah up after yourself." It is dush a sad song and it really shows that Radiohead are changing their style. // 9

Overall Impression: My Iron Lung is a damn good single. Just one or 2 etra songs and this EP could be a killer LP! My fvorite songs are My Iron Lung and You never wash up after yourself. I think this is the first EP that was showing the radiohead as we know them these days. // 10

My Iron Lung [EP] Reviewed by: Drifting182, on july 21, 2008

Sound: Following their hit 1993 single "Creep" and it's moderately successful accompanying album Pablo Honey, Radiohead went on a long tour during which the development of their next album, The Bends, began. In the meantime, the band became increasingly frustrated with their pegging as a one-hit wonder and having to play "Creep" night after night. In response to this, Thom wrote "My Iron Lung," criticizing the shallow fans that made the song a success in the first place. The band then laid down seven additional tracks, 3 of them purely acoustic and released it as the My Iron Lung EP in 1994. // 8

Lyrics: The album starts off with "My Iron Lung," a song that showcases guitarist Jonny Greenwood's ethereal effects and pedal mastery and some of Thom's more twisted wordplay. This track would later make a reappearance on 1995's The Bends. Next up is "The Trickster", whose arpeggiated chords and vocal stylings call Muse to mind at points. Lewis (Mistreated) plods along in a typical mid-'90s alt rock way, a simple jangly pop-rocker. The real highlight of this album is the creepy atmospheric "Punchdrunk Lovestruck Singalong," alternating between quiet verses accented with moody slide guitar and near-whispered vocals from Yorke. The effect here completely disarms you when the bombastic chorus finally kicks in, with Yorke delivering some of his most memorable wailing. "Permanent Daylight" comes off as a Sonic Youth tribute. The guitar tunings here are strange and overdubbed enough to create a wall of white noise. It's more interesting than enjoyable. The next two tracks are acoustic mood piece, played possibly solo by Thom. The last track is an acoustic version of Creep played for a radio session in 1993. Though Thom goes off-key at points, it still makes for an easy listen, as well as providing an easier version of the song to play for budding guitarists. // 7

Overall Impression: My Iron Lung marks a transition from the generic alt-rock of Pablo Honey to the stadium rock of The Bends. This is an essential addition to your collection if you're a Radiohead fan, but the full-length albums are recommended over this EP for casual listeners. // 8

More Radiohead reviews rating latest review
+ OK Computer 9.3 05/29/2012