OK Computer Review

radiohead: OK Computer
Released: May 21, 1997
Genre: Alternative Rock
Label: Parlophone, Capitol
The sound on this album is phenomenal. It has lots of straight up guitar rock, and some white noise violin screeches on climbing up the walls, everyone in the band is great.
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.3
 9.2
 9.3
OK Computer Reviewed by: bassplayer496, on august 14, 2006

Sound: The sound on this album is phenomenal. It has lots of straight up guitar rock, such as on paranoid android and airbag, and some white noise violin screeches on climbing up the walls, everyone in the band is great. Colin Greenwood's not an exceptional bass player, but he holds everything together very well. Thom Yorke has an amazing voice. The sound on this album was the first sign of what the sound would be like on the electronica album "Kid A." // 1

Lyrics: Thom Yorke is a brilliant lyricist. The lyrics go along so well with the music, and Thom has an amazing high voice. The lyrics can go from very sad, such as in "No surprises" (a job that slowly kills you, bruises that won't heal) bitter and sarcastic in "Paranoid Android" (off with his head man, why don't you remember my name? I guess you do). To very scary in "Climbing Up The Walls" (either way you turn, I'll be there, Open up your skull, I'll be there, climbing up the walls). There is no low point on the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Airbag - a great way to kick off the album. A great song. 02. Paranoid Android - over six minutes long, and absaloutely amazing. Brilliant lyrics, brilliant music. I love all the musical changes in this song. 03. Subterranean Homesick Alian - my least favorite song on the album, although still good and a fun listen. It just doesn't have the epic feel that the other songs have. But I love the intro and the chorus. 04. Exit Music (for a film) - one of Radiohead's saddest songs, and also one of their best. I love the outro where Thom says "We hope that you choke, that you choke," over and over. Very sad. 05. Let Down - a song with very sad lyrics, but the music makes it seem very happy. A highlight of Radiohead's career. 06. Karma Police - an excellent song, also a very sarcastic song, my favorite part's the chorus. Great song. 07. Fitter Happier - not really a song you can rate, it's two minutes of a generic robot voice saying strange random things. It's very entertaing though, you just can't really rate it. 08. Electioneering - a very good song with strange guitar sound, I don't have a lot to say about this one, but it's very good. 09. Climbing Up The Walls - I love this song! And it scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it! It has very scary noises and lyrics. I'm pretty sure this is the only song that's ever scared me! One of my favorite radiohead songs. Great. 10. No Surprises - this is perhaps the best song on the album, an incredibly sad song. I love the line "bring down the government, they don't, they don't speak for us" And the chorus "With no alarms and no surprises. I also love the guitar and the xylaphone. 11. Lucky - a great underrated song. This song should be more famous than it is. About a guy who's lucky I guess. I love the chorus. 12. The Tourist - I'm pretty sure this was written by guitarist Johnny Greenwood. A very good song. A lot of people say this is there favorite Radiohead song. I don't agree with that totally, but it is very good. I don't mean to just slap a ten on every section, this album deserves it! This is probably my favorite album, except for maybe london calling by the clash. It is so worth the money! And if I lost this, I'd buy it again in a heart beat! // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: SethMegadefan, on january 11, 2005

Sound: To call Radiohead musical geniuses would probably be the biggest understatement in the history of music. There never has been and probably never will be another band that can touch all that Radiohead can touch, and the height of their greatness really shines on their third studio album, "OK Computer". This is one of the few albums, if there are any others, that's so good it hurts. It is also probably the only album ever that doesn't get old regardless of how many times you listen to it. Each song is completely different than the next, and the only thing that's the same about every single song is that they're all awesome. I don't know how they did it, but Radiohead released what is probably the most perfect album since Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon". Each song takes you on a different adventure, paints a different picture, sets a different mood. Where as most albums rely on one sole sound or basic formula, "OK Computer" combines all that Radiohead can possibly muster and puts pretty much every feeling imaginable into each song. For example: 01. Exit Music (For A Film) - is one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard, yet it is still absolutely flawless. The song keeps building and building until the very end, where Thom Yorke closes with "We hope that you choke, that you choke" over and over. Few songs are as depressing as this, but none can match the greatness of the song. 02. Let Down - has a very sad concept, and probably could have been just as depressing as "Exit Music (For A Film)", but the way Radiohead delivers the song makes it one of the happiest songs ever made. Though the song's concept is about being let down, left out and ignored, you feel a strong sense of confidence and self-satisfaction after the song is over. I don't know how they did it, but they did. 03. Climbing Up The Walls - opens with some really creepy sounds, followed by a weird bass line with some sort of scary effect to it, along with a low tom being hit. Then Thom Yorke's voice comes in, and there's some effect to it that just makes you feel scared, as if Thom Yorke is personally talking to you and is coming after you. The chorus, "Either way you turn, I'll be there, open up your skull, I'll be there, climbing up the walls", really adds to the enourmous wave of terror that seems to slip over you while you listen to the song. It really does feel like Thom Yorke is the one who's climbing up your walls in your house, and that makes the song even scarier. The effects in the song are scary enough, but add the psychological terror of the lyrics on top of it and this song, although it may not sound like it at first, is one of the scariest songs ever written. 04. No Surprises - sounds a lot like a lullabye, and that's pretty much what it is. The warm guitars and warm lyrics take you away to this bright fantasy world with open fields and the sun shining, and I wouldn't be surprised if this song becomes the new lullabye. I can't really describe how warm you fell when you listen to this song, but it's such an amazing and uplifting feeling. Radiohead certainly uses a lot of different effects throughout the album, and you think that they're going to overdo them but each effect is just as important as the next, and there really isn't one effect I could do without. Whether it's the creepy sounds throughout "Climbing Up The Walls" or the wierd effects throughout "Airbag", each sound effect has its place and deserves it. // 10

Lyrics: As well as the guitars, the lyrics really paint a picture for you and you get a really good feel from the lyrics. I can't believe how well-written this album is; hats off to Thom Yorke. I've already mentioned "Climbing Up The Walls", and those lyrics are really psychologically creepy. I would like to talk about "Paranoid Android", because this is just a great song. This song is more or less just a story, only transferred into a sweet song. The lyrics in the song are pretty fantastic, and I love the way the song has so many different elements combined. The song starts off with a clean riff and this odd guitar effect here and there that sets the mood. Thom Yorke comes in with lyrics that ultimately tell you a story, and it's one of those stories that isn't boring. A little bit later the song goes into this other clean riff that sounds more badass than Black Sabbath's "Black Sabbath". It's a clean riff, but it kicks so much ass that it doesn't even matter. "You don't remember, you don't remember, why don't you remember my name? Off with his head, man, off with his head, man, why don't you remember my name? I guess he does" is a great part in the song, because you have this clean guitar riff along with this really strange guitar effect that gives you the impression that the song is going to go somewhere; you just don't know where. But all of a sudden, when Thom Yorke hits "You Don't Remember", the electric guitar comes in with a powerful chord that will startle you every time you listen to the song. From there, a powerful guitar solo comes in with that classic Radiohead screeching high sound, and only Radiohead can pull of this type of soloing. Then, just when you think the song is over, it goes into this other part with what sounds like twenty Thom Yorkes singing backup in the background, and then Thom Yorke comes in with one set of vocals, and over the twenty-one Thom Yorkes comes a twenty-second Thom Yorke with yet another set of vocals. All in all, this sounds like a completely different song, but then it goes back into that badass guitar riff again and the song finishes up after the second screeching solo. All in all, "Paranoid Android" is more or less a work of art. It's like the Mona Lisa of music, and no other song even comes close. // 10

Overall Impression: Without a doubt this is Radiohead's best album. I won't even hesitate to say that. I love how Radiohead took all of these different song elements, molded them together, gave them a little Radiohead spice, and made this work of modern art. All the different feelings you get from all the songs is just fantastic; I still can't get over how Radiohead had this many great ideas. It's simply the most stunning album ever. I certainly hope nobobdy steals this from me or you, because everybody should have a copy of "OK Computer" by now, so there's no reason to be stealing somebody else's. Beethoven had his 5th and his 9th, and Radiohead had "OK Computer", and I think that's as fair a comparison as there's ever going to be. // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2005

Sound: Voted the best album of all time and the album that made Radiohead's 4th album, Kid A, a big hit as well. Ok Computer is a mixture of different feelings blended into an image that sets itself for Ok Computer and Radiohead flawlessly. A lot of people will say that Radiohead are depressing (and maybe they are sometimes) but those people couldn't have listened hard enough to Thom Yorke's lyrics to see what he was really singing about. The most memorable song on Ok Computer is 'No Surprises'. You don't have to be a die-hard Radiohead fan to like this song with Ed O'Brien's chiming guitar playing, Jonny Greenwoods xylophone and Thom's (quite frankly) beautiful vocals. Another song to listen to is Jonny Greenwood's 'The Tourist', which emphasizes Thom's vocal abilities, provides a good and mellow rythm and still maintains Radiohead's image. Without Ok Computer, the jump from The Bends to Kid A would've been a little weird but Ok Computer marked a turning point in Radiohead's lives and shot them up into Britain's rock premier and scoring them an army of fans. Radiohead started out as any other band but grew into their own unique area of music and inspired others such as Muse and Chris Martin to form Coldplay and many others. They've even appeared on hit cartoon South Park. With a 7th album on the way, Radiohead's career is far from over. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics used throughout Ok Computer are still a part of Thom Yorke's essence and pure musical genious and really bring out his song writing skills into the open for all to see and enjoy. His lyrics are original and memorable just like all lyrics should be and can be somewhat puzzling at times as to what he's trying to get across to the listener but are still great to listen to even if you don't have a clue what he means. Some recommended songs you should listen to are No Surprises, Paranoid Android, Karma Police and The Tourist (my favourite song). Two of Radiohead's songs from the Ok Computer era are featured on the movie William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet; Exit Music (for a film) and Talk Show Host. All of the songs on Ok Computer provide a great lsitening experience to whoever is within earshot. // 10

Overall Impression: What can I hate about Ok Computer? It's a bold and brilliant album that hosts a great collection of songs that exceeds the band themselves and was what shot them to popularity. This is the album that will seal them a place in the greatest bands of all time as well as already being named as the best album of all time. // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2003

Sound: This was in many people's opinion (and mine) one of the greatest records of our generation. Radiohead's 3rd album takes you on a trip, by grabbing you by the neak and dragging you backwards. With a rock and indie foundation, radiohead bulid on this, with layer apon layer of perfect music. It makes you angry (electionerring) sad (exit music) happy (let down) scared (climbing up the walls) and at times shocked (paranoid android). // 10

Lyrics: reading the lyrics to this album without knowning what sarcasim is, would make you think lead Thom Yorke was insane. But the lyrics are so powerfull. "Off with his head man, why don't you remember my name?" "Karma Police arrest this man" "I trust I can rely on your vote" "we hope that you choke" all echo with Thoms perfect (and high) voice, which really translate his hate, fear and anger so well. These can be taken in a right or wrong way, even the oposite to Thom's opinion, but thats the true beauty of it all. // 10

Overall Impression: No other band comes close to Radiohead (muse try and fail.) From "Lucky" to "No surprises" and "karma police" to "airbag", this album will take over your life. On a downer fitter happier is a steven hakeing (spelt wrong? i dunno) type song with his voice effect on vocals thatll have you reaching for skip. Be warned it is very weird at times and can furrow your brow. But it is 100% golden. Even the art work is inspiring. Never has or will there be a band like Radiohead. Hail to the thief! // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 22, 2004

Sound: This is one of the most musically diverse albums of all time. Sometimes happy, sometimes sad. Sometimes acoustic, sometimes electric and heavily distorted. Whatever the sound is, it sounds like the band clearly put alot of time into each and every song. The epic opener "Airbag" has clear guitar riffs, amazing drums and clear and sometimes awkwardly timed basslines. I sometimes wonder how long it would have taken radiohead to come up with such and amazing song, and then record all the tracks needed to make the song sound as wonderful as it does. The subtleties in each track show the pure effort of each member of the band. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in each song suit each song well. Whether it is the epic story telling of "Paranoid Android" or the uplifting fairy tale of "No Suprises", the lyrics never cease to impress me. Thom Yorke is an amazing songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best album, in my opinion realeased in the 90's. My favourite songs from this album are "Airbag", "Electioneering", and "The Tourist". I love this album because it seems so thoughful while maintaining a steady stream of beautiful music. If it were stolen I would buy another copy of it even though I have all the songs on my computer. I would buy it just to give the wonderful people of radiohead the 60 cents or what ever they get from me buying their cd. Oh well. piece mah homedawgs. // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: aMeE_lOiS, on march 17, 2005

Sound: Radiohead deliver the experience of acoustic and electric guitar, falsetto vocals and electric sounds all into one powerful masterpiece. In 1996 Radiohead were touring then recorded OK Computer which came out in 1997, and the clash of a hybrid sound and exceptional songwriting proved to be successful. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics have a certain mysticism about them, whle some of their other lyrics just make you laugh. Thom Yorke pulls off impressive falsetto and when his unique voice twists with the rest of the band the impact just hits you. // 8

Overall Impression: Some people compare Radiohead and the Muse but I'd have to say if you listen properly there are a lot of differences as well as similarities. Personally I prefer Electioneering because of the enegry in the song is just so uplifting, and Climbing Up The Walls is just as impressive. If it were stolen I'd beat up the thief and I'd buy it again! I really love the uniqueness about Radiohead and thats what I think makes their fans gravitate towards them. // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: benjidude945, on april 17, 2007

Sound: The sound of humanity being crushed by technology. That's what this is. No it's not some big war where machines enslave mankind and we're doomed forever. It's where we enslave ourselves to technology and isolate ourselves from everyone. We become more bitter. We destroy each other spirits with rudeness. And it's something that no law on capitol hill can change. // 10

Lyrics: The Bends and this album duke it out for the my favorite Radiohead album with Kid A and Hail to the Thief trailing behind. Amazing lyrics abound. You cannot deny that this is just simply a much deeper album that deals with much deeper topics like isolation and the downfall of modern culture. More than revolutionary and ground-breaking, this album is about humans and their good and bad sides. It's about religion, politics, faith, God, and whole entire world. The final lyrics of The Tourist of "hey man, slow down, cool off" will really speak to anyone who bothers to pay attention to the album's themes. // 10

Overall Impression: It boils down to this: buy this album right now! You'll see why it's so widely praised and valued among Radiohead fans and music-lovers alike. More than a rock album. A message from the troubled souls that are Radiohead about what humanity was, is, and will be. // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 17, 2004

Sound: I give this album the only 5 I'll probably ever give. For the moment being anyway. It's not hard to see that today's music fan, today's young music lover starving for knowledge would likely pass up such late 90's nostalgic gems like The Pixie's Doolittle, or Bjork's Post, or this album for instance. But upon repeated listen, even the most cynical music fan would probably agree on Ok Computer being a perfect album, though they'd never admit it forehand: It's just the feeling, the vibe, there likely to recieve upon that first spin. Go ahead and look. There's not a single song on this album that even sounds remotely similar to the last one. From the distorted power chords in "Airbag" to the folk-ish stylings and storytellings of "Paranoid Android" to the beautiful lullaby, straight from a fairy tale ditty that is "No Surprises." Every song here paints a different story. Ok Computer is best described as a collection of 12 stories, from 12 different poles on Earth. While no song is better than the last, there are some exceptional ones. The acoustic goodness that kicks off "Paranoid Android" stays with you until the squealing white-spire electric leads that wake your ass up midway, the comforts you from what you just heard by introducing an acoustic track more intriguing than the first, like some kind of folk tale from a foreign country, right before becoming scaringly grimy and urban. Never has there ever been a song that has crammed 4 styles so effectively in the space of 6 minutes. Never. Ok Computer is remarkable for the fact that it introduces songs that you never forget, like "Karma Police," which sounds like a robot beating the hell out of a grand piano, while Thom Yorke tries to foil the arguing by coo-ing them to sleep. And the R.E.M. clash of "Electioneering" is just pure rocking without cause, care, or intent. "Climbing Up The Walls" includes violin chords that have never been heard in modern music. Usually soothing and classical, the violin tracks here screech in a way they should never be screeched, while Yorke's vocals-from-a-tin-can whelp adds an uncommon fear of listening to this song alone. In the dark. Laced with effects that pierce the heart, it's hard to distinguish the guitar over the machines, because the first produces sounds remeniscent of the latter, to where the lines are blurred. This is one album that will never be recreated on MTV2's Album Covers, because only Radiohead themselves have the access to the beatiful, ingenius sounds that show what happens when you explore for your sound, or sometimes create it with whatever the hell is lying around. // 10

Lyrics: Although all 12 songs here are different in sound, scope and production, they all share a common theme. Alienation. The common lifestyle of the happy life, the wonderful job, and the beatiful family. The wizard behind the curtain of Oz. The all too real place that middle-class cictizens fear, but know is always a possibility. Laced with lyrics about advertising, politics, corrupted systems, computers, alienation, payback, and extra terrestrials, Ok Computer never seems like a concept album, but it is. "Exit Music (For A Film)" is quite possibly the most lonely song ever written. You just get that image of a naked man, sitting in the snow, in pitch dark with his acoustic guitar, singing himself into insanity. "Let Down" sounds happy enough to almost seem like a revelation. Like Radiohead have realized the life worth living. But alas, it was just a dream. The lyrics are monotanous, and Yorke's vocals strain every, last, syllablle and word, until you feel them as much as he wants you to. // 10

Overall Impression: Released in 1997, it's almost strange to understand just how ahead of it's time this album was. Who besides Radiohead were releasing albums of this eerie, haunting stature, and who even does today? They changed from the beautiful pop songwriting of "The Bends" into what seems like a guilty pleasure, and an act of obsession. They weren't worried about writing "rock" songs, and the world has become a better place for it. It's hard to picture a world without Radiohead. Well, at least that's how it goes in my Matrix... // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: sd500, on january 22, 2007

Sound: From the moment the opening riff of Airbag is let loose on your senses to the final and defining chime of the The Tourist, it becomes clear that Ok Computer is something very special. Mixing a landscape of different sounds from song to song and at points changing the entire direction of the sound during a song, Radiohead's "Difficult Album" serves as the decisive breath of fresh air in '90s music, seizing those who looked for the next Achting Baby or Nevermind, In 1997 a new sense of musical direction was formed. It becomes clear as soon as Paranoid Android kicks in that this isn't The Bends, the format to the song isnt a simple intro, verse then chorus etc but instead it pulls you in every direction besides backwards, at times making you feel ever note pass through your body then captavating your soul as the multi layered voice's of Thom Yorke make you feel like your being haunted until the song ultimatly comes crashing to an end only to be succeeded by the dark yet warming introduction to Subterrenean Homesick Alien. There is no clear point you can mark on Ok Computer to be able to say there's it's peak, that would be too insulting to the album, to not listen to the whole thing and let the sound take over you, as the album brings you to the chasm's of Exit Music(For A Film) and Climbing Up The Walls to the felling of rebirth that is the conclusion of No Surprises, it becomes obvious that this is a landmark record. // 10

Lyrics: Ok Computer seemed to have marked a very distinct change in the style of Thom Yorke's lyrics even more so than the lyrical transition of Pablo Honey to The Bends, here we are being shown an alternative reality through the words in the music, a world that seems to be falling apart at the helms due to the individuals inside it e.g. the saviour of the universe in Airbag, the suicidal man who seems to have unwillingly become institutionalised inside society in No Surprises and well of course, The Tourist in The Tourist. You can't simply think that you can listen to this album and get away with some sense of meaning towards it, it's like a good film with a twist, with every time that you watch it the events or clues that lead to the twist or in this case to the understandiong of the album and it's songs become more and more apparent each time that you listen to it. By far the most recognisable and memorable set of lyrics on the album has to be the most difficult song to listen to and therefore understand, this being Fitter Happier. From the viewpoint of the mechanised voice we are being told the ideal way that the people who watch over us would prefer us to live our lives, the way in which it would seem society would deem a "normal" human being to live e.g. "A patient better driver, sleeping well, no paranoia", however towards the end even the authorative voice in question speaks the truth showing us that we need to live our lives as we see fit and not through the ideas of others. // 9

Overall Impression: Perhaps the only other album from the nineties that Ok Computer can be compared to is Nevermind, both identifiably unique in their own ways but still they seem to share some aspects. For instance it is clear that Nevermind changed the face of music forever with everyone trying to emulate the famous Smells Like Teen Spirit guitar riff but in the case of Ok Computer even the record company did'nt identify any kind of commercial benefit from the finished album or in Phil Selway's words "They didn't hear anything on OK Computer that sounded even remotely like a single, let alone like 'Creep'" but still Radiohead chose Paranoid Android as not only 'a' single but as the introductory single from the album, this goes to show to an extent what Radiohead were talking about Ok Computer that in most cases no matter how good it seems commercial benefit is never a substitute for your personal self, Paranoid Android earned Radiohead their biggest UK chart placement to date. In my opinion the most impressive song from the album is definetely No Surprises, the main reason for this is that if you listen to the album as a whole you hear that their are conflicting textures in the songs that sometomes appear straight after the song before e.g. the way in which Exit Music(For A Film) builds up into this great sound that you can't help but feel as if it has been imprinted upon your soul and then as it ends a new song, Let Down, moves into position and takes you by the hand, only with No Surprises it comes straight after Climbing Up The Walls, the firat song that Radiohead credited as "scary", and instead of taking you by the hand like Let Down does it offers you the chance, one last chance, to go on a three minute journey and see the world from the eyes of the individual in the song, the instantly recognisable guitar riff seems to float around you with the soft spoken glockenspiel accompanying you throughout the song. Truly Ok Computer is one of the only albums that can be said is the greatest of all time, maybe anohter Ok Computer will come alaong in a few years and people will use this as a landmark to that in the way that people used Dark Side Of The Moon with this, but this album will never fade away, this one stays. // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: Amalgam, on august 17, 2007

Sound: If you were to listen to Radiohead's previous album, "The Bends" and then immediately pop OK Computer in, you just might get a shock from the complete change in sound. OK Computer is a brooding, powerful, pessimistically optimistic and amazingly cohesive. Radiohead's most powerful work (to me at least), this album has a electronic feel (though nowhere near as much as Kid A or Amnesiac), focuses on solid drum beats, rocking bass and well placed guitar. On this album Radiohead goes for an ambient sound, drawing comparisons to Pink Floyd undoubtedly. The sound is impeccable. However, fans of The Bends might find trouble with the transition. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are amazingly well written, although perhaps a bit incomprehensible at times. One thing people should realize is that this album is very sarcastic, and the lyrics prove it. Electioneering is probably the best example, with the infamous phrase "I trust I can rely on your votes." Yorke's vocals are the perfect fit to the album, creepily haunting and beautiful. Though not displaying as much emotion as on The Bends, Yorke definitely means what he says, and shows it in the singing. // 9

Overall Impression: At first, I was almost afraid to listen to it again. I didn't enjoy it the first time, for reasons undefined. But, the second listen was like a revelation. Everything seemed to just fall into place and I heard OK Computer's majesty in all it's glory. The album will take a while to get used to, but once you understand it it is sure to become a classic in your collection. My favorite songs are Exit Music (for a film), Karma Police, and Electioneering. If I ever lost this album (which I did recently) I would go out and buy it again (which I also did) in a heartbeat. OK Computer is sure to remain Radiohead's ultimate triumph, a modern classic. // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: emidog, on june 14, 2008

Sound: The sounds on this album are like nothing that has been heard before. The CD begins with an amazing beginning with Airbag.The song starts with a simple guitar part but it sounds out of this world. It is then followed by my fav. song of all time Paranoid Android which has not a dull moment in it. The tracks just keep pumping out as you go through the entire CD. All sounds incredible included the weird moment of Fitter Happier. // 10

Lyrics: The Lyrics in any Radiohead CD are usually hard to understand due to Thom Yorke's insane vocals and accent. But that doesn't stop them from being amazing once again. in the lyrics for Paranoid Android, Karma Police and No Surprises, they all deal with cool topics. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this CD is the Best Radiohead album to date. Until they make something beyond the Stratosphere this album to me sets the Bar for all others to bow down to. The key songs to focuse on are Airbag, Paranoid Android, Subterranean Homesick Alien, Karma Police, Electioneering, No Surprises, and Lucky. Long list but that's how many are just incredible. // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: thewho65, on july 03, 2009

Sound: Radiohead came into critical and commercial acclaim when they released The Bends in 1995. They didn't think they could be any bigger when they released OK Computer on an unsuspecting public in 1997. They were wrong. Since then it has been frequently hailed as the one of the best, if not the greatest album of the 90's. Though Radiohead went on to experiment deeper in genre-blending, trying everything from jazz to electronica to delta blues, this album is pure guitar rock, kicking off with the opening track "Airbag." From there the album veers off from somber epics (Paranoid Android, Exit Music) to melancholic pop (Let Down, No Surprises) and everything in between. However, there are some experiments like "Fitter Happier," which is probably the closest thing to a confession from a machine, and "Climbing Up The Walls." // 7

Lyrics: Thom Yorke's voice is a bit more muddled, more cryptic than on The Bends, but the vocals aren't nearly as drowned out as Kid A. Frequent themes of alienation and isolation have never been more lovable than when Yorke's sings them. He often writes about humanity's place with technology and how it responds to us. Even politics make their way onto the album on "Electioneering." The line "Riot shields/Voodoo economics" holds up to present conditions quite well. // 9

Overall Impression: I really didn't know why OK Computer was so lauded by critics and or why reviews were so unanimous until I listened to the album straight through. The songs in this album are almost track listed perfectly along side my own feelings about society and technology. This was the very first record that really was pure "angst", more so than the blues, which is often frustrated but vain in it's voice. // 10

OK Computer Reviewed by: Jon Ellison, on may 29, 2012

Sound: The instrumentalists sound like they are concentrating. No mistakes made. The reception on all the songs are not as bad as Oasis' "Cigarettes & Alcohol" (which includes a lot of hissing). The guitar melodies do sound rather boring and very depressing, which is not relaxing enough for a listener to relate to. // 7

Lyrics: Thom Yorke is not exactly Freddie Mercury. His voice does not fit in too well with the distorted rock guitars. He sounds like he is whining too much which is almost as bad as Fred Durst and Johnny Rotten. Still his lyrics cannot avoid laughs. "Airbag" - Thom sounds too much like he is struggling to do something in particular as he hits the chorus. Too much breathing in as if he is trying to swallow a fish bone. "Paranoid Android" - How can anybody take the opening line "Please could you stop the noise, I'm trying to get some rest" seriously? If this song is based on Marvin from "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy", what do those lyrics have to do with him? Thom needs to focus rather than rabbit on about different subjects. The last verse sounds more like somebody has been fired from some sort of job. "Karma Police" - rather a funny song about Thom getting his own back on a friend who has been put in jail. The first few lines are too much like "Stop You Robbers" from "Joseph & The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat". "Fitter Happier" - the highlight of the album! It makes you think Thom sings like a robot, with a funny voice and comedic lyrics based on the fuss about some girl. "The Tourist" - 'Hey man, slow down'. In my opinion, those lyrics ought to be associated with a faster tune. // 5

Overall Impression: "OK Computer" seems to be much better than the albums Oasis released. The instruments seem to stay in rhythm. It has better reception. But Thom Yorke's voice and his ability to sing kind of ruin the album. The album is stuffed with dismal and dull songs, but smooth electronic sounds, which should keep the audience happy. But hey, it is "OK Computer" after all. Fitter Happier remains the highlight of this album and is probably the reason why this album is called "Computer". // 5

More Radiohead reviews rating latest review
+ The King Of Limbs 8.4 03/19/2012