The Battle Of Los Angeles Review

artist: rage against the machine date: 02/08/2011 category: compact discs
rage against the machine: The Battle Of Los Angeles
Released: Nov 2, 1999
Genre: Rock
Tones: Hostile, Angry, Bitter, Cathartic, Rebellious, Rousing, Fiery, Intense, Raucous
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Rap-Metal
 Lyrics: 9.2
 9.6
 9.4
 9.7
The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: duncang, on september 07, 2005

Sound: After the dissapointment of Evil Empire, the world expected Rage to totally flop and burn away like all the other bands. Idiots. Listen to the intro of Testify and be proved wrong. Tom Morello is the most talented guitarist of all time, when he plays, it isnt his actual playing, if you make him play the hardest Jimi Hendrix solo with clean guitar, he would probably mess up. No, it's all about the effects. The laughing guitar, the swipes and wipes, the octave jumpers, but at its heart, it is just the riff. I have not listened to one single Rage riff and not loved it instantly, it's just so catchy and pure. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are deep and attacking. Suprisingly, there is a song which isnt about politics at all! Not very Rage, but still very good lyrics, the song is Born Of A Broken Man, and it is one of the most straight-rock Rage songs. I've always looked up to Zack de la Rocha, because he has more bravery than any other vocalist out there, he can storm into the rock scene, performing the one thing pure rock fans hate the most, rap. Good on him. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. Testify - this is what I talk about when I say catchy riffs. Best bit: breakdown 10/10. 02. Guerilla Radio - the big single, raring to go, and it explodes immediately, bringing the whole world in to listen. Best bit: trumpet - like guitar solo 10/10. 03. Calm Like A Bomb - the most powerful song lyrically (excluding the "All Hell Can't Stop Us Now lyric in Guerilla Radio) and pretty damn close musically too. Best bit: pre-chorus 10/10. 04. Mic Check - the closest thing to hip-hop ever to come from a metal band. Great vocals too. Best bit: rapping 9/10. 05. Sleep Now In The Fire - pretty much Testify, but less of a catchy riff, a bit of a filler, but still bloody good. Best bit: solo 8/10. 06. Born Of A Broken Man - deep and dark, the chorus doesn't look back. Best bit: verse 9/10. 07. Born As Ghosts - very strange this one, a hip-hop verse with a great rock chorus, very weird indeed, but still not awful. Best bit: chorus 8/10. 08. Maria - another hip-hop verse, and still very catchy, but it does make you wait for the almighty riff to come along. Best bit: riff 10/10. 09. Voice Of The Voiceless - short and sweet. The verse guitar is mindblowing, he's playing a melody with effects! Best bit: intro to riff bridge 10/10. 10. New Millenium Homes - this riff is rock music gold, you can't go wrong with something like that. Another great song with interesting drums from Brad Wilk. Best bit: solo 10/10. 11. Ashes In The Fall - odd effects and basslines all over the place here, very interesting song. Best bit: breakdown 10/10. 12. War Within A Breath - oh no, its over! Bloody album that doesn't go on forever! Best bit: final chorus 9/10. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2003

Sound: The sound of the band on this cd is great. Especially Tom Morello because this is his best work with the guitar. He makes the most unearthly sounds ever like on Born As Ghosts the weird Star Wars type robot sound he makes and on Mic Check the "laughing guitar" and the sound that I can only describe as aquatic but, the best guitar work is on Ashes In The Fall with weird beeping noises at the beginning and the great and extremely hard to duplicate work on the on the interlude. // 10

Lyrics: These are Zack's best and most powerful ever. I really liked Calm Like A Bomb because the best song lyrics wise and "the anti-myth rhythm rock shocker" is one of the coolest lines I have ever heard on a song. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Rage's best cd ever. I think all of the songs are great but, I think Ashes In The Fall is the best song on the cd. This cd is definitely worth buying and if there are any rage fans out there who haven't bought this cd yet their either crazy or their not rage fans at all. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: HENROID, on february 04, 2004

Sound: The sound that Rage delivers in the battle of los angeles is one that is very distinctive from what other bands are playing, all from the awesome sound affects to the great riffs. All of this is done by the ingenious guitar playing of Tom Morello, who combines the use of power chords and his equipment plugged to the guitar in order to create great hard rock music. One of the songs that portray this so very well is "Guerrilla Radio", from the creative solos to the riffs used in the intro and chorus. Oh, but Morello isn't the only one, Tim Commerford is able to play the bass in order to make it perfectly mix with the guitar and great drum playing by Brad Wilk. // 10

Lyrics: Zach de la Rocha is one of those song writers who writes lyrics that flow like poetry, but hits you hard with his political messages. I believe that that's what makes him such a great writer. He writes what he feels inside and puts it in incredibly detailed words and makes them flow sentence by sentence. One that is written so with such emotion is from Calm like a Bomb " Same bodies buried hungry but with different last names, These vultures rob everything leave nothing but chains." Not only is he a good writer, but also a very good vocalist (rapper) who freestyles form his heart. // 10

Overall Impression: I believe that what is great is that Rage does not compare with other bands because there aren't any that play such great hard rap rock music with important political messages. This is why Rage has been and will probably always be one of my favorite bands, and this album is no different. If you don't have this album, go buy it now, and if you do have it, but someone else doesn't go buy it for them. This is how good this album is. Whether you're politically active like the band or only like the music, you must admit that Rage has succeded once again. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: ANewFoundPride, on march 29, 2004

Sound: Tom Morello is awesome! You can't really compare him to Led Zepplin or Jimmi Hendrix, because his solos and style is completely different. His style is going all over the guitar with crazy slides and basically making his guitar sound like a wide variety of different instruments. At times, I even doubted that it was a guitar playing and not turntables or a keyboard or something, but if you buy this cd you will see on the cd that it cleary states that all sounds are made by guitars. Its something you have to hear to believe. // 10

Lyrics: Zack de la Rocha writes powerful lyrics in all of the tracks on this cd. Some people might find that he shouts rather than sings. I (being a huge Rage fan), find that he "preaches" his lyrics rather than mindless shouting. He has his own special way of doing the vocals just as Tom has his own style of the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Awesome sound, Awesome lyrics, this album is their best yet. I find this to be much much better than their previous albums, Rage Against The Machine (1992), and Evil Empire (1996), and even better than their later 2000 release, Renegades of Funk. If you are a rage fan, or have heard about them from a friend, or are interested in them, buy this cd. And what it all comes down to is just plain good. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: dabonehead182, on july 01, 2004

Sound: Rage Against The Machine have always delivered in sound. Tom Morello is a good guitar player. A lot of the effects he uses on the guitar works for a lot of the songs. The sound is always hard hitting making you want to bang your head. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are what make Rage Against The Machine different from every other band. They aren't afraid to sing about issues going on in the world. The lyrics have political meaning in some of the songs if you listen carefully. Zack De La Rocha raps them well. His voice is like a cry to be heard. Both the lyrics and Zach are worth the listen. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this album over their self titled debut. Tom Morello plays great and Zach De La Rocha sounds awesome. The best songs on this albulm are all of them in fact. The albulm is one that deserves to be listened to all the way. If your into political stuff or are pissed at what the world is doing then listen to The Battle of Los Angeles. It's one of the best cds I've ever bought. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: Nirvana07, on july 07, 2004

Sound: I'm not a fan of the whole rap rock music thing. But in this case, I will make a exception. RATM did pull of alot of songs that get you into it, whether you are a fan or not, and that takes talent. Plus they are songs that make you think and not just because of the lyrics. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics of there songs is what made me a fan of them. They are very political and very deep. From songs like "Calm Like A Bomb", "Sleep Now In The Fire", and of course "Guerilla Radio", they make the point that the most important thing you need in a song is great, powerful, and meaningful lyrics. These guy knew that and took it to heart. // 10

Overall Impression: If you want a meaningful band who is trying to just speak to truth with music instead of trying to make a buck, then you should go get this CD. No matter what type of music fan you are, I guarantee you will enjoy it. They are a "cut the bull s--t" band, and it shows in this CD. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 14, 2004

Sound: In this album you can tell that Rage have experimented with some synthetic noises. But I bet most of them are from Tom Morello, who can make amazing noises with his guitar that sounds like those of a DJ. There is one song which is more hip hop, 'Mic Check' but it still sounds just like a Rage against the machine song, they can combine hard rock and rap very well. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on all Rage albums have inspired me, Zach (ZDLR) always sings about politics and issues in the world apart from on the song 'Born Of A Broken Man.' The lyrics which stand out most to me are the ones in 'Ashes In The Fall' which is an absolutely amazing song. "A mass of tears, transformed to stones now sharpened in the slings." ZDLR is the part of Rage Against The Machine that is rap, but he fits it in so well with Tom morello's hard rock riffs. He still adds in the occasional 'uh! ' or 'yeeeeaah! ' unlike in the first album with more 'Ugh!' Great singer, great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is another masterpeice for Rage Against The Machine. Some of the songs that stand out the most are Guerilla Radio, Sleep Now In The Fire and, to me, Maria. Even though they never play Maria live, the other 2 songs are regular on thier live setlist. All the songs on this album are 100% perfect. I love the solos, I love the riffs and I love the lyrics. I would definatly buy this again if it were stolen. I'd be abit pissed off, but id be happy for the guy cos I know he likes Rage Against The Machine and thats a good thing! This album definatly rocks, if you have the first Rage album but not this get it. Or get it anyway. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: Stealthbass, on november 10, 2005

Sound: The sound is beautiful. This CD is hard rock. The music is well blended. Mixes of bass, guitar solos. Great original sound. They have the coolest pedal sounds that are so original and great sounding. This music truly captures your inner-soul. Nice drums. They are new and not annoying and repeating. They make a hard rock beautiful sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't as good. But they are great. The singer has an original voice. His voice is unique. He doesn't have a melodic melody sound. But it is very energetic and sounds pretty good with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: This album is way above any other. Some of the most impressive songs are: Calm As A Bomb, Voice Of The Voiceless, Testify, and Ashes In Fall. I love the great melody of original music. Great sound. There is nothing that you can hate about this album. Please go get this if you don't have it. If it were stolen/lost I would buy it back. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: fabs1925, on january 04, 2006

Sound: RATM's twangy, hollow guitar sound makes them instantly identifiable to anyone familiar with the band. Tom Morello manages to create some pretty insane sounds on his guitars, mainly because he creates his own pedals. Some examples of his unique sounds come on Maria and Ashes in the Fall. By the way, have you ever listened to the end of Guerrilla Radio and heard a soft song playing in the background? That's actually a Korean radio station that Tom's custom distortion pedal was picking up. RATM tried to cut the track several times, but eventually just decided to leave the Korean station go on in the background. This album showcases the musical ability of Tom Morello in particular and RATM's unique sound. // 10

Lyrics: Zach de la Rocha again showcases his unique vocal abilities. His ability to make his screams seem musical, similar to Cobain's knack for musical screams, provides an element of individuality to the band if you didn't get it from the twangy guitars. The only knock on the lyrics in my opinion is on a few songs in particular Mic Check, the lyrics are really nonsensical. However, when there are great riffs in the background, it lessens the negative effect of these bad lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Personally, this is my favorite RATM album. However, The Battle of Los Angeles and their s/t albums both have about equal recognition as RATM's best album. Guerrilla Radio, Calm Like a Bomb, Sleep Now in the Fire, Born of a Broken Man, and Ashes in the Fall are my favorite songs from this CD. While I love the music, sometimes I dislike the political nature of RATM. However, as long as the music is rockin' I would definitely look past differing political views in favor of the music. If you are a Rage fan and do not have this CD, first throw a brick at your face and then go out and buy this CD immediately! // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: BassPlayer500, on january 26, 2007

Sound: Rage Against The Machine is an amazing band. They mix rap and heavy metal better than any other band. "The Battle Of Los Angeles" is a great album whether you like rap or heavy metal. The guitar riffs and solos are pretty amazing. The guitarist, Tom Morello, uses a lot of distortion and wah effects, his guitar also has a whammy switch. My favorite guitar riff is the "Sleep Now In The Fire" riff. My favorite guitar solo is the solo in "Testify". Tim Commerford is a really good bassist, "Calm Like A Bomb" has a really cool solo bass intro. Tim also uses effects in some of these songs like "Mic Check" and "Born As Ghosts". Brad Wilk is a great drummer, "Guerrilla Radio" and "Ashes In The Fall" have really good drum beats. This is a really heavy album, except for the song "Mic Check". // 10

Lyrics: Zack's lyrics are so amazing. All of these songs are political, there all about things like war and government 'n stuff. He is a powerful singer, he sings with a rap-like style, but he doesn't sound like a rapper, hard to explain. Listen to this album for yourself and then you'll see what I mean. He is also a very good screamer. // 10

Overall Impression: No matter what style you are into, rap or heavy metal, "The Battle Of Los Angeles" is an excellent album. It is probably my favorite album from Rage Against The Machine. My favorite songs are "Calm Like A Bomb", "New Millenium Homes", and "Ashes In The Fall". If this album were stolen/lost I would buy it again. Trust me, just get this CD, it's good stuff! // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: DVT, on may 07, 2007

Sound: This album is is one of the best sounding albums Rage made. The band is amazing. Tom Morello has some of the craziest sounding effects anyones ever heard from any record by any band, and it's freaking awesome sounding. The rhythm section is amazing, Tim Commerford and Brad Wilk hold their own very well and Tim has some amazing bass lines that complement the guitar and vocals amazingly well. Listen to the bass intro to Calm Like a Bomb and say that Tim isn't amazing. Amazing sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics address what all RATM lyrics address, The scum in the White House and how they screwed up America. Zack de la Rocha's vocals are amazing as usual, he raps through this Metal record better than most rappers do on rap records. The lyrics are violent and call for a revolution, and the vocals represent them very well. No tradition metal vocalist could put these word through with as much emotions and power as well as Zack. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this RATM album is my favorite tied with Rage Against the Machine. The vocal, lyrics, and instrumentalist are all top notch. Ever member is amazing at what they do. This was sadly the last RATM album of original material. I stand that the world needs Rage back. This album shows how revolutionary they were, and how good they were through all their career they were, up to the last. Amazing record! // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: tynman_19, on september 07, 2007

Sound: RATM is came back to do it one more time with another awesome album. The music is the classic Rage style with a funk/rock/rap sound. Tom Morello is doing what he does best by making some of the most shocking sound coming out of a guitar. Brad Wilk is holding down the drums, while Y.tim.K (Tim Commerford) is keeping that bass line tight. This album has won a grammy and was best of 1999 and I would personally have to say that this is the best album that RATM has realesed in their 15 year history. // 10

Lyrics: Zack De La Rocha is one of the most unique song-writers that I've ever seen in my lifetime. There is a very political message about the entire album, as in most of the Rage Against The Machine songs. I think that De La Rocha's lyrics compliments the overall sound from Tim Commerford very well. De La Rocha was originally a rapper, which can be heard in his style, but now he is a huge political figure outside of the music industry. // 9

Overall Impression: I really like the fact that there is a very angry feel to some of the songs, like Voice of the Voicless or Calm like a Bomb. If you really want to hear some of Morello's guitar stylings, you should hear Guerrilla Radio and Sleep now in the Fire. If like any type of funk, rock, or great solos you definately need to get this album. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: TJM2482, on january 23, 2008

Sound: Rage at heart is one of the first commercially popular/mainstream bands to mix rock and rap. The fluid riffs of Tom Morello and the aggressive vocals of Zach De La Rocha come together over a bass/drum combo of Timmy C and Brad Wilk to create a pretty interesting and progressive sound. I like the sound personally, it's a groovy sound that'll get your foot tapping, plus the vocals of De La Rocha are sweet, if you're into the whole pissed off rapping thing. It's really a sound of it's own, I haven't heard another band that sounds like them. As I said, most people I know are neutral or like them, but there's always some people that are turned off, mainly due to the vocals. I'll give it a 9, mainly because of that. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on the album are pretty aggressive and energetic. Really angry/excited, they're a pretty political band, they're not scared to let you know how they feel. Zach's voice isn't Robert Plant style, you wont be hearing much in terms of soarings yells. He sounds good though, really good match for the music. I'll dock it one point though, since he tends to get too "thuggish" in a song or two, or his voice gets really gets so harsh to the point where you don't feel like listening to it anymore. I would give it 9.5 if I could, since it's not a big deal by any means. // 9

Overall Impression: This is another album where the vocals and musical parts of a band or album are near perfect, but the overall album is damn good. In my opinion it's their best album, slightly better than their self-titled. I love the groovy riffage and strange effects of Tom Morello, and the exciting vocals of Zach De La Rocha. Pardon me if you were looking for an in-depth opinion on the drums or bass, since I mainly listen to the vocals and guitar work (after all, I am a guitarist). It's pretty hard to pick one stand-out song, since half of them are good, and the other half are awesome. Can't really go wrong with this record, I definitely recommend it to pretty much anyone. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: PsychoWolfD, on october 13, 2004

Sound: In this album, the guitar technique is very well performed, and has plenty of catchier riffs in my opinion. The solos don't sound the way a guitar normally would, and that's Tom Morello's signature style. I found interest in RATM when I heard "Guerilla Radio" on radio (get it?) On that song, when Morello plays the solo, it sounds like it was a horn or some other blowing instrument he was playing. Very unique. Bass and drums were pretty cool too, a couple of RATM songs have cool bass intros in them. I liked the drums on "Mic Check", which was the closest thing that resembled to hip-hop that I can actually tolerate. The guitar sounded like turntables or some DJ stuff or digital effects, so it was weird as it was cool. The riffs and solo to "Calm Like A Bomb" was catchy as ever. // 8

Lyrics: Zack De La Rocha has still more of his rap n' stuff but that was okay in this case. I actually thought how he performed his vocals in "Testify" were brilliant. The lyrics to "Maria" was pretty meaningful, too. One other side I respect of the band. I personally don't like "Sleep Now in the Fire", though, because it sounded too much like "Testify", both vocal and some rhythm. // 8

Overall Impression: Great album. While the self-titled debut was heavier and angrier, this album had more guitar skills and talent expressed, I believe. Good tracks are "Testify", "Guerilla Radio", "Calm Like A Bomb", "Mic Check", and "Maria". Like I said, "Sleep Now In The Fire" sounded too much like "Testify" and I don't like it, but I hear a lot of people do, so you'd have to be the judge of that song after you listen to it". Yes this is a great album worth getting, my personal favorite of the RATM albums. Good thing I saved this album in mp3s in my PC, so if it got stolen or damaged, I won't have a problem. I wouldn't let it be stolen anyway. Its too great an album. You get it too. You'll find something you like. // 10

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: LinoleumDino, on september 26, 2005

Sound: As per usual, the sound on this album is great. If you look on the back of the jewel case it says all sounds created by vocals, drums, and guitar, so all that sound came without a keyboard or synthisizer of any sort and Soul Power did not dissapoint. With a range from inspiring funk to just plain rebellious rock n' roll, this albums sound is absolutely amazing. But, however great an album it is, RATM seems to fall into a pattern. A pattern of good music, yes, but none the less I would like to see a bit more variety. // 8

Lyrics: Zach de la Rocha, the lyrical master and king of rhyme, wrote the inspiring and rebellious lyrics we all know and love. While this particular style doesn't take much vocal skill, it's the words themselves that count here. But, once again, Rage is falling into a pattern, one I would've loved to see them break before they split up. As much as I look up to and admire Zachs work, a band cant just be straight up rebellion all the time. // 8

Overall Impression: My favorite song on this album would have to be either "Sleep Now In The Fire" or "Born Of A Broken Man." While "Sleep" has the speed and agression thats expected and loved, "Born" is just so powerful. Overall its a great album and if I lost mine or it was stolen, you can bet your life that I'll have a new copy within a week. To all Rage fans I strongly suggest this album, but if you are a fan chances are you already have it. To those who are new to rage, at least download it, you'll most likely love it to death. // 9

The Battle Of Los Angeles Reviewed by: Nirvanafan60, on february 08, 2011

Sound: Rage Against The Machine's third studio album. This was the album that changed the style of Rage forever, They took a more softer approach to this some people go as far as calling it techno metal but songs like born of a broken man reminded fans that they are a metal band. The whole album was the same thing for me I really didn't enjoy this as much as the previous two it didn't capture me. My second least favourite album next to Renegades. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics were the same old rebellious spirit and were fantastic and sung perfectly by Zach but the music really didn't match the spirit, for me this album was almost pushed to be made. Zach is still a brilliant singer. Songs like vice of the voiceless and new millennium homes are good lyric wise but I don't know lacking something. // 6

Overall Impression: This album didn't do it for me it wasn't as intense and felt pushed by the label although some great songs have come out of it such as Born of a broken man and Born as ghost. I love it because it is made by Rage Against The Machine I hate it for lacking intensity. I would buy it again because I love Rage Against The Machine but it wouldn't a run down to the store moment if I lost it. // 7

More Rage Against The Machine reviews rating latest review