The Hunter's Lullaby Review

artist: raine maida date: 11/19/2007 category: compact discs
raine maida: The Hunter's Lullaby
Release Date: Nov 13, 2007
Genres: Rock
Every instrument used on the disc is acoustic, not electric, resulting in a lyrically noisy but sonically subdued disc.
 8.5
 8.3
 8.6
review (1) 12 comments vote for this album:
The Hunter's Lullaby Reviewed by: Deepkanwal, on november 19, 2007

Sound: The Hunter's Lullaby is the first solo album released by Raine Maida, vocalist of the Canadian rock band, Our Lady Peace. The album is extremely different from what Raine did with Our Lady Peace as with The Hunter's Lullaby, you get a much rawer, hip-hop and folk sound. The album starts out with Careful What You Wish For which features an amazing melody and beat. Most of the songs (Rat Race, Confessional) have a strong beat, and very raw and acoustic sound where as others (Earthless, China Doll) are focused more minimal and focussed on Raine's voice. // 7

Lyrics: It's almost as if Raine kept all the good lyrics for himself for the past few years. The lyrics in The Hunter's Lullaby are much more thought provoking than what was seen on recent Our Lady Peace albums. Most of the songs focus on political and world issues and Raine communicates them in a creative way. The majority of the songs are sung with a rap/hip-hop style that contains a more melodic component in the chorus. It works perfectly with the lyrics and shows another side of Raine's singing. // 10

Overall Impression: The Hunter's Lullaby is a great album by one of the best Canadian singers. As a whole, the album is very solid and all the songs fit flawlessly. I found that the most impressive songs on the album are Sex Love and Honey, The Less I Know and Rat Race as they feature a great beat and sound with meaningful lyrics. All in all, Raine Maida has revealed a side of him not seen on any Our Lady Peace record but more importantly created an amazing album with The Hunter's Lullaby. // 8

More Raine Maida reviews rating latest review