We All Get Lighter Review

8.7
 8.8
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
We All Get Lighter Reviewed by: ZR_MUSIQUE_, on march 28, 2013

Sound: Raine really does a phenomenal job at capturing the emotion within each song. The music sets the mood perfectly and it really captures the listeners attention. It's all very acoustic and instrumental, just the raw instruments creating tension, emotion, and attention. Nothing is very predictable, but much of the same style is used throughout every song. Sometimes it's easy to get one song confused with the next. Overall, the music is something you don't really find in modern day music. Very raw and natural sounds and instruments. The music is more beautiful than anything else. As stated earlier, it really sets the mood and gives each song a ton of emotion. // 8

Lyrics: Don't come into this album expecting to hear lyrics that belong in an Our Lady Peace song. When Maida goes solo, he absolutely detaches himself from Our Lady Peace. Had it not been for his extremley distinguishable voice, I'm not sure anyone would even be able to recognize he is from Our Lady Peace. The lyrics are very poetic, very emotional. They absolutely fit right in with the mood set by the music, and I think Maida really relates to the every day man with his lyrics. One thing that he does great throughout the album; he really uses his falsetto to it's fullest potential. He uses falsetto in nearly every song on the album, and you can virtually feel his emotions pouring into your body. He really does a terrific job transferring and interpreting feeling throughout the entire album. Excellent job overall on the singing and the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: Very well done album. In comparison to "The Hunter's Lullaby", I believe the album is a lot more catchy, a lot more musical, and a lot more emotional. Raine really knows how to get his point across in each song, and puts everything he's got into it. The best songs on the album are probably "Not Done Yet", "How To Kill A Man", and "A Drink Of You". This songs by far have the most emotion, and the most range in terms of Maida's voice. "Not Done Yet" really tugs at the heart strings; everything about it makes you just want to tear up. Really love the emotion coming from both the music and singing. I think there should be a little more variety in terms of style throughout the album, but it doesn't really make it any less meaningful. Definitely one worth checking out!

// 9