Made In Germany 1995-2011 Review

rammstein: Made In Germany 1995-2011
Released: Dec 2, 2011
Genre: Industrial Metal
Label: Universal
Made in Germany 19952011" is a greatest hits album released by the German band Rammstein. It contains 15 previously released tracks, as well as one new track, "Mein Land". All of the older tracks have been remastered for the release.
 8.2
 9.2
 7.2
Made In Germany 1995-2011 Reviewed by: the_messenger66, on march 14, 2012

Sound: Yeah, woo! Rammstein! Having gotten that out of the way, yes, this is a "Best Of" album. So, unless you're new to Rammstein, you wouldn't even consider buying the regular edition they have there right now, and can skip down a bit to the next paragraph. If you are new to Rammstein, then Congratulations! You should by all the albums because there are a lot of good songs not on this CD ("Buck Dich", "Weisses Fleisch", "Reise, Reise", "Los", "Ich Tu Dir Weh", in my opinion) but if you're into dabbling and don't have that hardcore fan as a friend, then this CD isn't bad collection by any means. They've got the classics; i.e. "Du Hast", their most famous hit from their sophomore album, "Sehnsucht", might be what brought you to Rammstein in the first place, so you won't be disappointed with really any of the other songs. This CD is loud, crunching, definitely a head banger. The sextet are been a sure fire combination and I think a solid band is marked by their lack of changes in the lineup. Their unique style of Industrial Metal (Neue Deutsche Hrte is also acceptable) along with Till's growling voice and Flake's complimenting keyboards has brought them world-wide fame. So if you want to listen to any of the songs on the album, then go youtube them and listen for yourself, since every single one of the songs (save "Mein Herz Brennt") has a respective music video. Aight, now. For the familiars, one of the selling points for me was the single "Mein Land" which is pretty much Rammstein being themselves. This song has a similar tone to "Leibe Ist Fur Alle Da", and can be viewed from the YouTube machine as well, so I will delve into that song any further. Because, in reality, I am not here to review the same songs others have already done, I'm here (besides stomaching the lactose I regret drinking by being distracted) to review the Remixes in the Disc Two of the special addition! Now, I am usually weary of buying remixes, since I personally find them boring if I'm not already in love with the song. But, I read somewhere that Rammstein handpicked them for the CD, I thought, "What the Hell, I trust them." Thankfully, I chose right. I was quite impressed with the remixes to say the least. They weren't pounding from start to finish like the original songs, but then where's the fun in that? Here we go: 01. "Du Riechst So Gut (Faith No More Remix)" - Best way to start off being over-theatrical. Brass section like keys over Till's voice singing the chorus and verse almost felt like a monologue. My only slight disappointment was that it ended basically at the climax, where I was hoping it would drop into something heavier. 02. "Du Hast (Jacob Hellner Remix)" - Had high hopes for this one. I suggest being in your car for this one, since when the roaring bass hits, it's a pretty cool experience. Hellner kept it Rammstein by using similar vocal as on the original, so it's still haunting. No guitars on this track however... 03. "Stripped (Johan Edlund Remix)" - Brings down the intensity from "Du Hast", to more of an electronic approach. Mostly drums and synth. The most interesting is the vocal manipulation (it sounds like a female with an underwater texture to it) during the Chorus. Very calming. 04. "Sonne (Clawfinger Remix)" - Rather a typical remix. The guitar parts have been changed as well as the drumming. The Chorus has more of a lift from the rest of the song, which is nice. 05. "Links 2 3 4 (WestBam Remix)" - Dancing seems to be this one's intent. WestBam look the main riff of the song, and layered it with a bunch of other parts and effects. Another one for the car. Though, I kept waiting for the vocals, and they never came... 06. "Mutter (Sono Remix)" - A grooving take on the ballad. Sono made it seem like Till's jumping, so one can feel obliged to dance. Has an underwater feel to it as well. Though it might feel lackluster after listening to "Links 2 3 4..." (has a little bit of a Nine Inch Nails feel to it at points). 07. "Feuer Frei! (Junkie XL Remix)" - Rather like "Sonne", most of the elements of the original are there. The high point for me is the machine gun like vocal's on "Bang!" It does feel like a dance remix. For strippers maybe. 08. "Mein Teil (Pet Shop Boys Remix)" - "Mein Teil" is one of my favorite Rammstein songs, so I was eager to listen to this one. They sped up the song to fit the tempo they wanted, but I'm not complaining; I like this song. Signature dance drumming, and the synthness fits well. Though I wish they still incorporated the screaming (at the from bridge in the original), but oh well. 09. "Amerika (Olsen Involtini Remix)" - This is a jab at American Paranoia to me. Here are a lot of non-American sounds in here, it reminds me of the old Black and White version of King Kong, which makes me think that these sounds are other countries as America perceives. The African Drums, acoustic guitars, and more eastern sounds makes it weirder than the original. That and the sampling of Bill Clinton... 10. "Ohne Dich (Laibach Remix)" - Laibach is considered the father of Rammstein, so I was interested how they were going to take the ballad. I'd listened to some Laibach before, so I was taken aback when a female (Mina Harker) began to sing at the beginning (my girlfriend, who loves this song, says, "what the f**k is this?" at this point, obviously wanting Till's voice). This goes on until the second verse, when the lead singer of Laibach, who voice is even lower than Till's (my girlfriend turns it off at that point, since she'd never heard Laibach before, saying, "nope, I can't listen to this!") begins to sing/talk the verse. Interestingly, he and Mina are singing the chorus, but he says the words, "Ohne mich" ("without me") while she sings "Ohne dich". Is this a nod to themselves? Maybe. Thought he does switch to ohne dich after a while. There are extra synth parts a piano, as well, which are a nice touch to the atmosphere. 11. "Keine Lust (Black Strobe Remix)" - Downright creepy is you ask me. The lower the pitch of Till's voice and multiplied it and added a rearing bass line after each verse. Creates a great atmosphere to dance to. 12. "Benzin (Meshuggah Remix)" - Really Heavy. They changed the guitar parts, which go pretty damn excellently Till's voice. I love the guitar tone on this one. They transferred the chorus to a breakdown, which is pretty bada-s if you ask me. Listen to this one loud. 13. "Rosenrot (Northern Lite Remix)" - It's bouncy, this one. Light, airy, and campy. I guess they made it sounds folk-like, but there's techno drums as well, so it's an unique texture. 14. "Pussy (Scooter Remix)" - Scooter does this cheesy little DJ monologue that people like, which turns me off a bit, but I still find this song pretty awesome. It's defiantly a club song, and I would dance to it (and I don't dance). The chorus has an excellent kick, which redeems my view of Scooter. 15. "Rammlied (Devin Townsend Remix)" - Not what I (nor anyone I know for that matter) was expecting that. Let's just say, if you take this song seriously, you'll probably hate it. I found it funny. Between the yodeling, banjo, farting, sex weirdness, meowing, you don't know whether to laugh or to facepalm. Townsend must've had fun with this one. 16. "Ich Tu Dir Weh (Fukkk Offf Remix)" - Killer bass line. Very grooving as well. Still pretty close to the original, Trying to think of something intelligent to say other than it's pretty cool, but that's about it. These remix people really like messing with Till's voice and the underwater texture don't they? 17. "Haifisch (Hurts Remix)" - Starting off with creepy a piano riff, which goes into a Jaws-like quality during the verse. They got rid of everything in this song from the original except Till's voice. They chorus is very epic and appealing to the ears. I would love to hear this one live. // 9

Lyrics: If you don't already know, Rammstein is known for their controversial lyrics. This CD still has the cannibalism, killing, sex, sinning, and defiance that one come to know as Rammstein. If you want to know the translation to ANY of their songs, go to http://en.affenknecht.com/lyrics/. For all your translating needs. (I am not a paid spokesperson for that site, I just don't speak German and find them very useful). There are very few changes (if any) changes to the lyrics in the Remixes, so there is not a lot for me to say here. // 8

Overall Impression: Honestly, I was glad to buy this album, and was thoroughly impressed with the remixes. My favorite remixes have to be (if a had to pick): "Mein Teil", "Benzin", and "Ich Tu Dir Weh". I did however, wish they put the song "Hallelujah" (from the "Resident Evil" Soundtrack) on there as well, since that's a pretty good Rammstein song as well, but what can you do. There IS a Super Deluxe edition for a rather large price ($1000 on Amazon are they insane?!?), containing 240 page booklet, with DVD is making all the music videos, clothes, and other goodies, but I'm an Art student, so I decided to buy two tickets to see them live instead (only $198 with tax). // 9

Made In Germany 1995-2011 Reviewed by: dr-g0nz0, on july 12, 2012

Sound: Rammstein are an amazing band. No doubt about it. 6 albums, each one very different from the last. A very dark, grim look about them, yet they don't take things seriously at all. What I'm trying to say is, there is a reason why they are so big. And this 'best of' is a footstone to look back and reflect on an amazing career that has lasted nearly two decades - and according to the band, will continue. I'm not one for buying 'best of' albums unless it is a band that has a serious discography and requires a small taste to see if I like the band, or I love the band that much and am abit of a completist to their back catalogue. The latter is the reason I bought this, because I just love the band. And the CD has a great selection of songs on it, with a fair balance of songs from each album released. With the recently released single "Mein Land" added to the CD as well. But the main reason I'm reviewing this album today isn't the CD, but the remix CD that comes with the 2-disc - onward - set. I'm the type of person that likes his songs, and respects them for how they were created, and remix albums don't go down great with me; just look at reanimation from Linkin Park and you'll see what I mean. But this CD is different: a compilation of talented artists take a track and put their own stamp on it. But the great thing about this remix is that while the artists have put their own thing onto the tracks, you can still distinguish that it is Rammstein. Just enough has been kept the same, to respect the song for what it was, yet, completely gain your interest but giving you a different take on it. Devin Townsend's - the Zappa of metal - mix is my favourite, just by how he manages to put his goofy humour into the song, but still makes you appreciate the changes he's made. // 10

Lyrics: Never looked into the lyrics, as A: the lyrics are always in German and B: I like the mystery behind it all. But vocals, to put bluntly, German is the language of Metal in my opinion. He has one of the most noticeable voices in the industry, but it works harmoniously with the music in the background. You can get a track that is so angry, but it's almost radio-friendly at the same time. // 10

Overall Impression: My recommendation is to get the two-disc. It's worth the extra couple of quid just to experience a great remix CD. And if you own all the albums anyway, it is a definite recommendation. The 'best of' on its own is great, but if, like me, you have listened to the albums so much that it can be a dab hard to pick it up and listen to it all the time, then you're best off just keeping the cash if your not willing to part the extra coin to get the two-disc. For those that have never listened to Rammstein - for shame! - then look no further. And experience a band that was and still is constantly one step ahead of the crowd in the metal scene. Let us all raise a glass and celebrate 17 years of some of the best industrial metal ever created, by one of the best bands around today. // 9

More Rammstein reviews rating latest review
+ Reise, Reise 9.5 03/16/2010