Reise, Reise Review

rammstein: Reise, Reise
Released: Nov 9, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Power Metal
The sound of Rammstein gets better as each album comes out, they add new elements to each album.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.5
 9.8
 9.2
Reise, Reise Reviewed by: Novaworld, on february 09, 2005

Sound: This is a typical Rammstein album. Combining classic sounds with pulsing heavy guitar that rocks the foundations of your house. The guitar sound phenominal and, when combined with the drums, synthesised sounds and lryics it sounds pure awesome! The whole album combines guitar and synthesized sounds. Unlike other nu-metal bands, they use their nationality to make them unique. The heavy guitar, synthesized sounds and the mix between German and English makes them completely unique (to the best of my knowledge) in this genre. // 10

Lyrics: I can't comment on 99% of the lyrics used by Rammstein because I cannot speak German. But the use of english in "Amerika" makes their lryics mostly unique. Not many bands can say that they sing in both English and in German, around 80% of "Amerika" is sung in german but the chorus, which is sung in english "We're all living in Amerika, Amerika is wunderbar..." makes them different. The notes and tones that lryics are sung in fit in with the heavy guitar that is used. // 8

Overall Impression: Compaired with other artists in this genre, e. g. Slipknot and Korn this album outclasses any albums that I have heard from ether of these bands. But however there are many awesome albums in this genre, like Toxicity, that are just as good as this album. And I'm sure that there are many better albums out there. In general, this album is a good as it is because of the use of language, guitar and synthersized sounds to make their songs. If I ever lost this album I would certinaly buy it again. I fully reccommend buying this albumand other Rammstein albums like "Mutter." // 10

Reise, Reise Reviewed by: SOADRox, on february 03, 2006

Sound: Rammstein's 2004 release of Reise, Reise was the high point of my 2004 year. This was shortly followed by the equally amazing Rosenrot. Rammstein is one of Germany's hardest working bands, and their music shows this. The album cover is inspired by a blackbox. The CD slip itself says "Flugrekorder, nicht offne." Which means "Flight recorder, do not open." // 10

Lyrics: 01. Reise, Reise (Arise, Arise) - Reise, Reise is the first song of this CD. Rammstein uses it's old meaning, which is "Arise, Arise." The more modern translation means "To voyage." Anyway, onto the song. The opening is a black-box recording from a plane crash in Japan. Which is then followed up my drums and what sounds like "Ho... hey... ho... hey." This song is about voyaging the seas. 02. Mein Teil (My Part) - this is one sick song. In Germany someone posted on a forum "Seeking a young 18-30 year old male willing to be slaughtered. The Master Butcher." He found someone... And before he killed him, the man requested his penis was cut off. Then the murder victim and the murderer ate it together. Sick, huh? 03. Dalai Lama - Till's voice is complimented by a lead bass (I play bass, I love lead bass). The name of the song comes from the fact that His Holiness The Dalai Lama is afraid to fly. So what's the song about? A plane crash! Really good vocals and an awesome chorus. 04. Keine Lust (Don't Feel Like It) - man, Doktor Flake Lorenz's keyboards rock in this! Till's voice is gruff! And the guitars rock! It's a trifecta from heaven! Kind of sexual lyrics, in a sense. But it doesn't matter, does it? It's Rammstein! 05. Los (Go/Less) - I take this as the forming of their band. "We were nameless, and without songs. A little songless, but we are not toneless. You do hear us." It's a real nice song, Till's voice rocks as usual. Pretty simple music, actually. But it's good. 06. Amerika (America) - rock on. This song is excellent! I don't know if it's "antiAmerican" or not but it kind of sounds that way. Rammstein is talking about how American culture is everywhere. "We're all living in America, Coca-Cola, wonderbra!" 07. Moskau (Moscow) - "This song is about the most beautiful city in the world. Moscow!" That's how the song opens. Very good. Till's voice is complimented by a Russian female's voice. A nice mix. 08. Morgenstern (Morning Star) - I like this song. Till's voice is unusually gruff at the beginning. But during the chorus it picks up and it operatic! It's unbelievable. It's actually pretty good. He's talking about an ugly girl, but at the end of the song he says "Now I see with my heart, She is beautiful." A nice message. 09. Stein Um Stein (Stone By Stone) - stalker-ish. Till is talking about walling someone in stone by stone. They will never be able to get out. They will be part of the foundation. "I will always be with you." 10. Ohne Dich (Without You) - a love song. A good love song. I really like it, Till's voice is soft, the music is soft. It's just really good. Every once in awhile a song comes along that leaves me wordless - this is one of those songs. 11. Amour (Love) - a song about love! A very true song also! "It drops softly like snow. First it gets hot, then cold, in the end it hurts." Very true. Till's voice is VERY deep on this track, and the music is very good. // 10

Overall Impression: This is Rammstein. The amazing Ramming-Stone. This is a buy, you have to buy it. Actually, why are you still reading? Go buy it! It's excellent, like all of Rammstein's CDs. I'd buy this CD if I lost it (which I almost did, and my heart dang near failed). I love the CD. There is nothing to hate here. This is one of their best CDs! // 10

Reise, Reise Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2004

Sound: I think that the sound of Rammstein gets better as each album comes out, they add new elements to each album. Till's vocals have seemed to improved. The guitar playing of Richard Z. and Paul Landers) is the same old powerful guitar it always was (which is a good thing.) Flake's keyboarding is only getting better, I really like it in "Amerika" and "Stein Um Stein" Christoph's drumming is still amazing. // 10

Lyrics: I can't comment much on the lyrics, but I've seen the English lyrics to "Mein Teil", "Amerika", and "Keine Lust" and they're all amazing. Till Lindemann still sounds like the same old Till with his powerful voice, which comes to play in the chorus of Mein Teil. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't think any bands right now in my books could come to par with Rammstein. All the songs are impressive, the only song I didn't like was "Amour", but it will probably grow on me. If it was stolen, I would get a new copy right away. // 10

Reise, Reise Reviewed by: Martin Messner, on january 12, 2010

Sound: Many people think of a brutal german band when they here Rammstein, especially if they only heard songs from "Herzeleid" and "Sehnsucht" (which are probably the most aggressive albums). With "Mutter" and "Reise, Reise" Rammstein proofed itself as a multifaceted band which impulsive songs and quiet romantic songs. At the beginning is the single "Reise, Reise". The choice of this song as a starter makes sense: First, the title is the same as the album title, and second, this song shows the new Rammstein style. Accordion and melancholy atmosphere at the beginning and in the end, and in between the typically Rammstein riffs. Songs like "Mein Teil", "Moskau" and "Amerika" are pretty known. These are from "Reise, Reise", too. Later the music gets more quiet, at least the intros like from "Stein um Stein" or "Amour". Actually "Ohne Dich" seems so odd that I first thought of anything else but Rammstein! The first romantic songs appear with "Ohne Dich" and "Amour". The topic of love is not mentioned in the first three albums so clearly. Flutes, more keyboard and an real "sing" voice are really refreshing after these aggressive songs. "Los" is maybe the one which is outstanding: we actually find an acoustic guitar on Drop C Tuning! Yes, an acoustic guitar. I like it so much and reminds me on Alexi Laiho playing acoustic guitar metal on the streets and gets caught by the police (youtube it!). Really awesome work. 9/10 because I personally don't like "Moskau" and "Mein Teil" too much. The sound of both is too loud compared to the other songs, when i drive around in my car listening to "Reise, Reise", all is fine. But the next song "Mein Teil" blasts my ears off! // 9

Lyrics: As you probably know, Rammstein sings most of their songs on german. The Lyrics are artistically, too. Sadness, cannibalism, americanisation, love (3 songs!) are the main topics of the album. "Los" takes another special part: we find lots of words belonging to los in it. "Los!" can mean "Go!", but appears in "gottlos" (godless) too. That's a nice idea of a song. "Moskau" compares Moscow to an old prostitute, who's ugly but popular. "Amour" compares the Love to an wild cruel animal. "Stein um Stein" describes how a girl cemented alive in the base of her own tomb. "Dalai Lama" is even a modern version of "Erlknig" by one of the most famous author Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Instead of an ill child riding on the horseback with his father, this song tells the story, where a child (probably the Dalai Lama) is sitting with his father in the plane caught by a strong storm. You expect the plane to fall and kill the child (as it is dead in "Erlknig", too), but instead the father hugs his son fearfully so strong, that the boy suffocates. Till Lindemann's father was author of fairy tales. I guess he learned a lot from him when I listen to that awesome lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: The music gets more quiet at the End. This could be a symbol for "Reise, Reise" (Voyage, voyage): The voyage, which started at the beginning, makes the band disappear and so the music gets more quiet. An other interpretation is that it shows simply the fear of changing things: the wish to finally go away at the beginning accompained by aggressive music, which shows the strong motivation and the fear of finally leaving at the end. In both cases we are talking about an epic album that must have a place in every CD box if you like Metal. Even for girls and guys who mainly don't like Metal some romantic songs fit perfectly to them. A great album- maybe on of the greatest by Rammstein. // 10

Reise, Reise Reviewed by: Reanitheory1, on march 16, 2010

Sound: Rammstein, the german industrial metal band, created this CD during 2003 and early 2004 in Malaga, Spain. This CD continues the bands previous work on mutter almost perfectly, but, I'd like to point out (to me) it is the first album of (as I call it) the bands mainstream era, with slightly more "pop"-y sounding songs compared to stuff from earlier CD's, but that, I mean, the album sounds more like stuff you would usually find playing on the radio more frequently...not that there's anything wrong with that, I still love the CD and it's currently my favorite Rammstein CD. Aside from what I've written above, this CD still sticks to the old Rammstein way, to singing in german (aside from parts of "Moskau" and "Amerika"). From the CD onwards, the band started adding in lyrics from languages other than german, like Moskau, Amerika and, very briefly, Mein Teil. The songs pan across multiple styles, from the party sounding atmosphere of Moskau to to the power ballad that is ohne Dich. It should also be noted that a section on Stein Um Stein sounds EXTREMELY like the bridge for Rosenrot, there is also a sample used is both songs aswell. // 9

Lyrics: This is the part that mainly explains the "mainstream era" I talked about earlier, the lyrics for this CD appear a lot more refined (not sure whether that's the right word), as in previous CD's, there are songs with lyrics that include incest (Spiel Mit Mir) , Hard sex (Rein, Raus), Rape (Weisses Fleisch), necrophilia (Heirate mich)..., and on this CD, there are hardly any traces of these things (aside from small references from time to time, but not whole songs about them). The song list for this disc is as follows: 01. Reise, Reise (Arise, Arise): I beleive the lyrics rcanabalism eference to a mutiny of a ship out at sea, but don't hold me to that. 02. Mein Teil (My Part): this is the only song that is about a taboo like subject I was talking about earlier, the Armin Meiwes cannibalism case in 2001 to be exact. 03. Dalai Lama (Dalai Lama): I beleive this song is about a plane crash, I haven't listen to this song enough times to figure it out, it's kinda like the black sheep song to me, the only song I don't like on the album) 04. Keine Lust (No Desire): this song is about the band being too successful for their own good, as I see it, as they can't be bothered to do anything (as One of the lines say "I don't feel like chewing anything because I don't feel like digesting it"). The video also shows a VERY good description of what the songs about, with the band all fat... with no desire to exercise it off. 05. Los (-less): this song does not mean the word "less", but actually the prefix "-less", due to this, it contains many plays on words. It is possible that it explains the experience of Rammstein as a musical group, but with the word play, it could be anything. 06. Amerika (America): this song is mainly about the dominance the US has over the rest of the world in ways of culture and how the entire world is persuaded in to doing things the same (like how you usually see 10 burger kings in the same city ;)). The video is also a good example of this, showing many places from a round the world, with what the US has done (africans watching a TV, monks eating fast food, a japanese biker dressed like "The Fonz"...). This song also has the first english lyrics to appear on a song by Rammstein (that's not a hidden track, like stripped, or altered version , like Du Hast and Engel) 07. Moskau (Moscow): for me, one of the best songs of the album. The song refers to the Russian capital of Moscow and features two perspectives on the city: its beauty and culture, and the undercurrents of corruption and prostitution., it is more of a part driven song, and features lyrics other than german (like Pussy from liebe Ist Fur Alle Da or Te Quiero puta from Rosenrot). 08. Morgenstern (Morning Star): Another one of my favorite songs from this CD, it is about a girl who is so ugly that she hides from the daylight so as not to scare it away, and at night she pleads with the morning star to make her beautiful... I ain't kidding. 09. Stein Um Stein (Stone By Stone): yet again, another song that is one my favorite list for this album, it is about a man building house with no doors, windows, fences, gardens... to entomb his victim alive, out of love, I think. There is a nice little play on words in the song, right before the solo Wenn ich sie in dein Leibholz ramm-Stein um Stein, due to the german grammar and conjugation rules, the verb ramm, meaning to ram must be placed at the end of the sentence. Thus, this creates ramm-Stein, wordplay alluding to the name of the band. 10. Ohne Dich (Without you): the power ballad of the CD, and it's a good one. Lyric-wise, it basically follows around the title "without you", about not being with the one you love. 11. Amour (Amour): final song, and is also a Ballad similar to the previous The song talks about love and the pain that goes with it. The song compares love to a wild animal that looks forward to catch and keep people with its long teeth and arms. It also talks about the subtle nature of love (lsst sich fallen weich wie schnee- it falls like soft snow) but also how it often ends ( am ende tut es weh- at the ends it hurts). Tills voice compliments the music style extremely well, with his growly sounding voice, even for the ballads it fits very well. Lyrics may have been held back a bit, compared to previous albums, but it still makes to a good album, not perfect though, as some of this taboo subjects fitted Rammstein very well. // 8

Overall Impression: Honestly, In my opinion, this is probably one of Rammsteins strongest albums, even though it felt a bit held back in the lyrics department. Definite buy for anyone who likes metal with a side of experimental-ness to it. Highlights of the album are definitely Moskau, Morgenstern and Stein Um Stein. I loved the album mainly due to it being Rammstein (so this review will be biased), only down side was the lyrics, and lack of those good old subjects from previous CDs. // 9

Reise, Reise Reviewed by: MaxLees666, on september 29, 2004

Sound: The album sounds amazing. I've listened to every song many times, and I can't stop. The guitar is heavy in places but can also be quite soft. Either way, it goes exceptionally well with Till's amazing voice. As usual, Christoph makes playing the drums sound easy, as he effortlessly does more and more complex and mind-blowing drum riffs. Flake seems to have improved quite a lot since 'Mutter', or at least he is doing a lot more noticeable work. I couldn't wait for the album to come out, and when I'm at school I can't wait to get back home to hear it again! Who have we left out? Oliver. It wouldn't be complete without his amazing bass skills. This album is just as good as any other Rammstein albums, if not even better. // 10

Lyrics: Obviously, I can't understand the lyrics, as they're German. I can understand some, but not all. One thing I do know is that they work. I've always been a fan of Till Lindemann's amazing vocals, and he sings even better in this latest album. He uses deep, booming, heavy vocals mixed with soft quiet singing, which really works. I would say that Till is one of the best singers I've ever heard, probably THE best. // 10

Overall Impression: Rammstein have always been one of my favourite bands, and the release of 'Reise Reise' has made me like them more. No other bands can compare to them, they are 100% unique, and amazingly good musicians and singers. I really couldn't pick out any favourite songs from the CD, as they're all equally great. Maybe one of the things I could do without are the female lyrics in 'Moskau'. To me, they sound too much like they shoudl be on the Eurovision Song Contest, and sure the concert is fun to watch, but you wouldn't exactly call it great music would you? If someone stole this or I lost it, I would buy it again. If I had no more money, I'd do whatever I could to get it back. Overall: I love this album, and this band. // 10

Reise, Reise Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 01, 2004

Sound: I must admit the first time I heard the album I was a little amazed by the softness of some songs. But that was only the first time, after listening to it again and again. I can only say it is the best album they have made so far. November I'm gonna see them live here in the Netherlands. Get goosebumps just thinking about it. Till seems to be daring to sing more with every album his voice makes the hole thing sound awesome. // 10

Lyrics: Since I am from the Netherlands and we have German on highschool I do understand the lyrics they are as always excellent. Not afraid to sing about some topics other artist wouldn't dare singing about. Like a magician conjuring up a formula they seem to do the same with words. Thats what makes them even more unique. // 10

Overall Impression: It is what it is, there is no way you can compare Rammstein with any other band they have their own sound. The band keeps maturing with every album. // 10

Reise, Reise Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2004

Sound: Reise, Reise is nothing short of an absolute masterpiece. Rammsteins sound has taken the next step UP the ladder. Incorporating new instruments, like the harmonica, and exploring new techniques and ways to go about things has added to the whole experience. The opening Reise, Reise has a melodic richness about it thats in a way saddening, yet empowering. Mein Teil, an instant classic, a Rammstein song that everyone will love. Dalai Lama is one of the Rammstein songs driven by Christoph on the drums. When the guitars come in here though, it has Rammstein written all over it. Unmistakable. Keine Lust is a song that has a more 'developed' sound to it but still is Rammstein. Los is so awesome that I have to listen to it at least twice in a row everytime I hear it. An acoustic guitar for Rammstein? Of course! Richard or Paul, who ever is the one playing it has taken a simple guitar riff and permanently etched it in my mind. Amerika is getting overplayed. It still is a totally kick ass song, but I've got to admit its one of my least favorite songs on the album. But to have such an awesome song as one of the least favorites only says that the album is great! Moskau, holy crap! What a song! The mix of German/Russian is perfect. The guitar is so so so 'love-hate'. It reminds me of hope in a communist Russia. This song is one of my favorites on the whole album! Moskau, raz dva tri! Morgenstern has a choir in it. A little bit risky, but the risk has paid off. This song is undoubtably good, but I caught myself thinking, I would have ended it here. Oh theres more, OK. It's kinda like that. Stein um Stein has confirmd for me that Till Lindemann is the best singer in the world. He sets the emotion for this song, and even though I can't completely understand the lyrics, I can tell what the point of the song is from Till's voice and the guitars, and Flake on keyboards. Ohne Dich is a soft song. It reminds me some what of Seemann, it has that rolling melody to it that makes you sit back and say 'Whoa!'. Plus, Olli backs Till saying 'Ohne Dich', his first time singing on a song. Amour, my favorite song on the whole album. Phenominal, this is the song that makes me appreciate the bands three year break. This song I can see being heard in movies all over, on commercials, all over the place. It is such a powerful song, it is just perfection! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of course are in Deutsch, with some Russian, and some English. Till has proved his excellency at taking the responsibility at vocals and going beyond whats required. The lyrics are still of the Rammstein humor thats caused people to squirm. But without question, it adds that little punch to the perfect song and makes it unforgetable. I know how to play guitar, only because the guitar is such a big part of Rammstein songs. Now, I'm learning German, just because the lyrics are so powerful in a language I dont understand, I want to feel what its like to actually understand them. I can't imagine what it'd be like. The lyrics are still fitting in flawlessly with the other instruments. The Russian woman in Moskau is a little treat I want to thank Rammstein for. Lyrics: just perfect! Flawless! Awesome! // 10

Overall Impression: Reise, Reise is now my favorite album, knocking Mutter down to #2. It has been arranged so that it can be listened to over and over and over again, with out having to skip any songs, or without feeling let down. Every song has made me say this is so cool! The album is just perfect. I don't know how many times I can say this, but its just awesome. I definitly recommend it to everyone. This is the best album ever, not only for Rammstein, but for any band. Rammstein has again shown that they are musical geniuses. Just straight up perfect! // 10

Reise, Reise Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 04, 2004

Sound: The sound of Reise Reise is more raw sounding than the predecessor Mutter. Though the strings are present there is greater emphasis on the guitar riffs which seem to be more present then ever creating a heavy sounding almost nu-metal feel to the album. Some critics have labelled it in the now seemingly overcrowded goth metal genre something which I don't really see but overall the sound is well polished to an extent where every instrument is heard accordingly and in time and rhythm. // 10

Lyrics: As various members of Rammstein have commented it is this album where Till really shines! Not only has he explored different techniques (a raised high distorted voice on Mein Teil) He has also had to adapt his voice to new styles such as down tuned guitars and an acoustic number in los. However he adapts well considering the deep rusk voice. The lyrics composed see Rammstein taking a normal approach with dark, romantic lyrics being chosen as well as the normal controversial lyrics as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Rammstein have progressed with each album adopting new styles to perfect a sound and this is a fighting comeback for a band that were always going to struggle to beat the incredible album of Mutter. But they have adapted and changed and though they can't beat Mutter they have just about matched it. But only just! For fans who adored Mutter this album can really be seen as a hit or miss record due to the expectations. For fans who adore Rammstein and the overall Rammstein sound its great to see this dark and often misunderstood band return. // 10

Reise, Reise Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 05, 2007

Sound: First of all, this review is more than likely going to be quite biased, I love Rammstein. They are hands down my favorite band. That ou of the way, this album is arguably Rammstein's greatest achievment. If you look at their past album's (Herzeleid, Mutter, Sehnsucht) they have very heavy, industrial-ish sound. Reise, Reise is one step towards "maturity" for them, the music is more balanced, flows a lot better, and overall is the most powerful and inspiring. If you listen to the songs Reise, Reise; Los; and Amour, you'll know what I'm getting at. The only songs I don't love with all my heart are Morgenstern, Stein Um Stein, and Ohne Dich (however depending on my mood, they can be the best songs on the album). They might not be as heavy as past songs, but they certainly have more power. The sound of this album is more moving than any other by Rammstein. // 10

Lyrics: First, many people choose not to listen to Rammstein simply because a majority of the songs are in German. This shouldn't be what is happening, Till's voice on this album is greatly improved from older albums. The transition from Herzeleid/Sehnsucht to Mutter is nothign compared to Mutter to Reise, Reise. Till enounciates much more clearly, and the way he rolls some words off his tongue during the songs is brutally amazing. The only thing I can say about the lyrics, is that the message in each song is so fun to figure out, translate the lyrics (there are sites that help) and interpret them to your own life, I find that every Rammstein song can be applied to real life in some way. Awesome. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, compared to all the other albums, is probably the best. Not even thinking about Rosenrot, this one takes the cake. Even if some days you can't listen to anything but old Rammstein songs, I always come back to Reise, Reise in the end. It is my alltime favorite Rammstein CD, and if you have never bought a Rammstein CD before, I recommend this CD, or Mutter. It gives a taste of every side of Rammstein, heavy, slow and soft, everything. Buy this CD. The most impressive song on this album, is definatly Reise, Reise. It start off slow and builds up to a magnificent ending. If someone stole this CD from me, I would buy it, and then go buy 20 more. It's that good. Don't beleive me? Go buy it yourself. // 10

More Rammstein reviews rating latest review
+ Made In Germany 1995-2011 8.2 07/12/2012