Ramones Mania Review

ramones: Ramones Mania
Released: May 31, 1988
Genre: Punk Rock
Label: Sire
Number Of Tracks: 30 (2CD)
Get the individual albums, but if, in the deepest part of your soul, you must have a Ramones greatest hits album, this is definitely not half bad.
 8.9
 9.7
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this album:
Ramones Mania Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on october 03, 2013

Sound: The Ramones were the original New York punk rockers, with the sound that would define the genre for pretty much eternity. Three chords and three minute songs. "Ramones Mania" is a compilation disc of their "greatest hits," if you can even call them that - no Ramones record went gold until this one. Of course, being that the songs are as short as they are, a lot of songs can fit on one album and "Ramones Mania" is a good example of that - thirty songs on one CD. Keep in mind though, this is not European Punk Rock. New York Punk Rock is closer to what you would call New Wave music, but at the same time, it's still definitely Punk. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics to most Ramones songs, or at least, the songs featured on this album, move somewhere between standard punk rock lyrics, the kind anyone who listens to the genre would be expecting and Spinal Tap-worthy goofiness. That's not to say any of the lyrics are distinctly bad, or that any of the songs are stupid, I'm just stating a rather obvious fact. The actual sound of the guitar/bass/drums manages to fit well with about any line Joey Ramone could possibly say, which is a sign of the times - it's really hard for bands to be so harmonically synchronized nowadays, in my opinion. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a nice compilation. There's a ton of songs on here, as I said earlier and that's a good thing. The bad thing is, there's a ton of songs on here. I like it when greatest hits albums have lots of songs, but this is just a little bit over the line of being too much to handle. I mean, I could understand if it was a career-spanning disc, however, this is all material from the first five years. Still, there's absolutely no denying the Ramones could beat the tar out of any "Pop Punk" band currently on the airwaves. So, in conclusion, get the individual albums, but if, in the deepest part of your soul, you must have a Ramones greatest hits album, this is definitely not half bad. // 9

More Ramones reviews rating latest review
+ The Ramones 9.5 11/15/2012