Rocket To Russia Review

ramones: Rocket To Russia
Release Date: Nov 1977
Label: Sire
Genres: Punk, New York Punk, American Punk
Rocket to Russia boasts a cleaner production than its predecessors, which only gives the Ramones' music more force.
 9.2
 8.9
 9.5
Rocket To Russia Reviewed by: kbass9267, on december 23, 2005

Sound: "Rocket To Russia" is the Ramones' second album, and definitely one of their best. In my opinion, it's punk rock at its finest. This album includes classics like "Rockaway Beach," "Cretin Hop," "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker" and more. The trademark roaring guitar, fast drumbeats, and complimentary bass lines are all jammed into 2-minute punk anthems. Though it is exciting, this album can get a little boring if you listen to it constantly. Though this is true, this album does not take two or three listens to enjoy. You are immediately hooked after the first song. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are that same classic Ramones sound. Probably the simplest lyrics you could ever imagine, but still great. I don't think its gets much simpler than the lyrics in "I Don't Care." And who can forget that unique voice of Joey Ramone? Hey, he may not be the most exciting, but he can deliver his lyrics effectively. Whenever I pop "Rocket To Russia" in my stereo, I feel the need to shout or sing along with the lyrics. // 9

Overall Impression: If you are a fan of classic punk rock, this is right on the money. This album was worth whatever I spent on it, no question. When I bought the CD, it also came with five bonus tracks, which just added to the thrill of the album. The worst thing about this album, in my opinion, was having to spend money on it! If you are a Ramones fan, or just enjoy punk rock in general, this album is a must have. // 9

Rocket To Russia Reviewed by: kattaway96, on july 17, 2008

Sound: The sound on this album, similar to the first Ramones album is almost completely power chords. The bass plays the root note of the power chords as the Ramones did on previous albums. On this album they seemed to be experementing more with what they can do, rather than just playing the same power chord progression 100 times, but it still has the distinct sound that the ramones have. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrics have never really been a strong point for the Ramones (or any other punk band for that matter), but while the lyrics are simple they somehow don't suck. Joey Ramone is one of the most skilled punk singers out there but it is still punk, and punk musicians aren't very skilled. // 7

Overall Impression: This is in my opinion the best Ramones album ever. It is definitly in the top 5 of all albums ever made. Some of my favorite songs from this album are "I don't Care", "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker", and "We're A happy Family". I like this whole album. My only complaint was "Here Today Gone Tomorrow", which was an alright song musically, but being by the Ramones and being on this album, it made them seem like they were trying to be something that they weren't. If this album were stolen I would definitely by another one. And if I found the guy who took it I would beat the living crap out of him. // 9

More Ramones reviews rating latest review
+ Ramones Mania 8.9 10/03/2013