The Ramones Review

Released: May 1976
Label: Sire
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk, New York Punk, American Punk
The Ramones is all about speed, hooks, stupidity, and simplicity.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.6
 9.2
 9.9
The Ramones Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 13, 2005

Sound: This is the Ramones' debut album, released in 1976. This was, according to Joe Strummer, the album that inspired the entire '70s UK punk scene including guys like Sex Pistols, The Clash, etc. Sound wise, very hard-hitting. Varied, from the driving drums on "53rd And 3rd", to the fantastic punk harmony on "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue," to the calm, melodious "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend." The best type of Ramones music, and an essential buy for every Ramones fan. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are good. It's a mixture of Tommy's work (Blitzkrieg Bop etc) and - RIP - Dee Dee's (I don't wanna walk around with you). If it's songwriting you're after, get "End Of The Century" (1980) instead, but this is by far the better album in terms of it being really what the early Ramones were about. The verses tend to be very similar, and include a lot of punk harmonies (this is not ABBA-style harmony if you haven't heard the Ramones before). // 8

Overall Impression: My favourite Ramones album. Whether you prefer this or Sex Pistols is up to you - I strongly recommend you pick up both this and a copy of "Never Mind The Bollocks" for an intro to '70s punk. Most famous song on this album is possibly "Blitzkrieg Bop," but my top three are "I Don't Wanna Go Down To the Basement," "53rd And 3rd" and "Judy Is A Punk." The best thing about it is its sheer rawness, because it epitomises Ramones punk in every way. Maybe its flaw is that it doesnt bring in such a wide audience. If you like punk, buy it now if not sooner, otherwise, think twice. Also, as with all early Ramones, don't buy this if a great solo makes a great song to you. This isn't because the solos are awful. Its because there are no solos. The musicianship is, as with the majority of punk, 'minimal'. But it's brilliant fun, and a must-buy for any Ramones fan. If I lost this album - I don't want to think about it. // 10

The Ramones Reviewed by: lionelllama, on september 11, 2006

Sound: This is the Ramones' first album, which debuted in 1979. This was the first album and it inspired other punk groups to form like the Sex Pistols. Although the lyrics might be repetative and the guitar simple it is still aweswome music and very catchy. They music also range between sort of soft music like "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" to fast paced songs like "Blitzkrieg Bop". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album always repeat but are very good. Sometimes they are the same things over and over again such as "I Don't Wanna Be Learned/I Don't Wanna Be Tamed"(expanded version). They also tell stuff about their everyday lives like "Beat on the Brat" which is written by Joey and is about rich kids where they live. Although many people don't like Joey's voice, I think that it's good, unique and fits the songs (although sometimes completeley incoherent). I couldn't picture the Ramones without Joey's voice. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably my favorite Ramones album, although I haven't heard all of them, The Ramones are unlike any other band I know. The fact that their songs are simplistic but still catchy and hard rockin'. My favorite songs are "I Don't Wanna Go Down To The Basement", "Beat On The Brat" and of course "Blitzkrieg Bop". I love every bit of this album and if I would ever lose it or it gets stolen I would defineately buy another one, no matter what cost. // 10

The Ramones Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Sound: If there was an Old Testament of Punk Rock, this would be the first book. The Ramones' self-titled album, released in 1974, was a first not only for the band, but music as a whole. Emerging from the early 70's NYC Punk Scene, the band and this album set the precedent for Punk Rock and the countless genres that spawned from it. If you are looking for anything other than true, orthodox Punk, then stay far away from this CD. Johnny does not wail away on some overdone guitar solo; you will find nothing but barre chords here. Joey doesn't sing in good pitch; you could almost laugh at him. Dee Dee doesn't let the bass fade into the background; in fact, he drives every song forward. Tommy doesn't seem to know any other drum beat other than endless quarters; but that doesn't matter. None of the failings of the individuals matter, because when they come together, it's punk at its best. However the bass, guitar, vocals, and drums are poorly mixed. The bass dominates the sound far too much, and the voice of Joey has been doubled over for some reason. But again, that really doesn't matter because this is Punk, and Punk relies on imperfection. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics of the Ramones, especially on this album, and nothing to be impressed with. Even for a Punk Rock band, the tunes are repetitive and unimaginative. Each song only has three to five lines and a chorus; even after repeating the words three or four times, few songs go over the two minute mark. However, again, simplicity is beauty in Punk, and so many great one-liners of the Ramones can be found on this album: "Hey ho-let's go!", "Beat on the brat with a baseball bat", "I wanna be your boyfriend", "Now I wanna sniff some glue", "I don't wanna go down to the basement", "I'm a shock trooper in a stupor, yes I am." In addition, the lyrics and the music mix very well together; they go hand in hand, in fact: you can't have one without the other. So all in all, despite poor singing and repetitive lyrics, there is still something to be admired here. // 8

Overall Impression: Again, this album is the Bible of Punk. If you like Punk Rock, you must get this. Everyone has been influenced by this album and the band, from Green Day to Slayer to Billy Joel. If they like it, I think you will too. Some of the best Ramones songs are on this album: the immortal anthem "Blitzkrieg Bop", teen angst ballad "Now I wanna sniff some glue", and even a brush of historical perspective in "Today Your Love, Tomorrow the World." If you are looking for anything other than Punk Rock, you will not find it here. Otherwise, I can't think of a reason not to buy this album. // 10

More Ramones reviews rating latest review
+ Ramones Mania 8.9 10/03/2013