Indestructable Review

artist: rancid date: 03/05/2007 category: compact discs
rancid: Indestructable
Released: Aug 19, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Rebellious, Aggressive, Rowdy, Brash, Rousing, Fiery, Boisterous, Raucous
Styles: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop, Ska-Punk
 Lyrics: 8.3
 7.7
 8.3
Indestructable Reviewed by: rancidrocker, on january 05, 2005

Sound: This sound is softer than Rancid's other stuff but still oh-so sweet. They seem to have added alot more smooth ska to a punk sound making many songs an easy listen for everyone. Then there are other songs like the title track, "Sprit Of '87" and "Django" than have that edgier, Rancid-ish (new word) sound. I can't condenm this sound because it shows that Rancid can write awesome undground punk style songs on their other albums and then radio friendly pop-punk on the fliped side. They truly are just a bunch of extreamly talented guys who love playing high energy music. // 10

Lyrics: There really arn't any innovations lyric wise on this album because Rancid has alway written good lyrics. Although they do brush on some new topics on "Fall Back Down" which is about Tim Armstrongs divorce from Brody Dale (The Distillers)and "Tropical London" also has to do with Brody. And "Otherside" which is about Lars Fredriksen's brother's death. "Spirt Of '87" reminds me alot of "Journy To The End" and yet not quite. They manage to make song that are about relitivly the same thing sound like two different subjects. Alot of people don't like Tim's voice but I really love his east bay axcent. Lars vocals give it an edgy sound also. Plus they trade off vocal parts so effortlessly you'd think it was the same guy singing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is well worth the money. Buy it people! Rancid shows how much of a virity they have in their music. If it was lost or stolen I would most diffently buy it again. // 10

Indestructable Reviewed by: pocallaghan2002, on july 15, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is kind of like Rancid trying to go mainstream, and it pisses me off. This is a poppier Rancid than before, and it doesn't sit well. The instrumentals are great as usual, especially the bass playing by Matt Freeman, who is a genious (listen to "Maxwell Murder" from "And Out Come The Wolves" to see what I mean). However, the songwriting is not as good. It just feels forced. // 4

Lyrics: The lyrics are okay, but not the Rancid I like. the only song that remotely resembles anything that they have done in the past is "Red Hot Moon." Tim's delivery is the same as always. The magnificent slurred vocals that make Rancid so special. However, this is the only saving grace. THis was a dissapointment. // 6

Overall Impression: This album did not impress me at all. I'm just glad that I heard "...And Out Come The Wolves" first, or I probably would never have listened to Rancid. This was a misstep for one of punk's greatest bands. I really wanted to like this album, but it just wasn't happening. The only decent songs are "Fall Back Down" (because of the bassline) and "Red Hot Moon." If it were stolen, I would not buy it again. A dissapointment. It does have it's moments, but they are few. Too few to call this a good album. // 4

Indestructable Reviewed by: ryanL91, on may 29, 2006

Sound: This CD has changed Rancid's sound once again from the previous albums Rancid and Lets Go. Indestructible resembles And Out Come The Wolves in terms of sound, and is poppier than other albums. I dont believe that it was their intention to create a more mainstream sound. Although some songs in the album have much more strength and anger compared to other albums. Tims guitar has a great sound and the solo in David Courtney is great. // 8

Lyrics: Rancid once again delivers great lyrics, and this time the lyrics talk more about their childhood, and go deeper than most other albums. Also, the lyrics in some songs have been heavily inspired by hip hop or rap, seen in the song "Memphis". // 10

Overall Impression: This album is in my opinion one of Rancid's best, but it still does not compare to And Out Come The Wolves. I think that has been incredibly underrated, probably partly because of the mainstream success of Fall Back Down. One of the standout tracks on this cd would be Otherside. It is a tribute to Lars' brother Robert, and the conflicting voices of Lars and Tim make this one of the best songs on the cd. Another great song on the cd is Memphis, it is very catchy and has one of the best chorus' written. The best song on this album though, would have to be Red Hot Moon. About a smart girl that didn't have anywhere to belong, this is an amazing song. // 8

Indestructable Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 27, 2003

Sound: Rancid have experimented with many different sounds over the years but this album has a softer punk sense about it, opening with title track 'Indestructable' immediatley breaking into single 'Fall Back down' and then blending into ska set 'Redhot moon'this album fires you up staright away but the stand out punk tracks on this album are 'Travis Brickle' and the amazing 'Spirit 0f 87' which are true Rancid punk songs. 'Indestructable' also includes one of the only rancid love songs which explores Tim's feelings about losing brody 'Tropical London' is the song that makes you want to listen to this album again and again. // 8

Lyrics: This album is the usually Punx, Skins and roots lyrics that tell stories about some boy who wears black coats and white shoes. But there is actually some true feeling, meaningful lyrics on this album on tracks such as 'Tropical london', 'Indestructable' and 'Otherside'. // 6

Overall Impression: It's been 3 years since Rancid 99 was released and it's nice to see they've moved on but there still writing story songs about people they've met on tour and how they became Rancid. I don't know, I guess it's just them. But as a punk band they'll always rule. Punk album of the year (Because of the sound). // 8

Indestructable Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 23, 2004

Sound: Rancid utilizes a wide range of sound on Indestructible, from the ska-tinted Red Hot Moon to the pure distorted force of the title track. Carrying the torch from some of The Clash's most anthemic music, Rancid uses the classic 'melody punk' style in many of the songs. Start Now is the best song on the album, and is absolutely anthemic. Arrested In Shanghai is by no means the best track, but has a definite 'groove' to it. Sound gets an overall 8/10. // 8

Lyrics: Quoting Rancid frontman Tim Armstrong: "The record deals with the human sprit." Indeed it does. The lyrics are at their best in Arrested In Shanghai and Start Now, with the former being about the massacre in Tian An Men Square, and Start Now defying the gathering Bush/Cheny apocalypse. In the single for the CD, "Fall Back Down", Tim talks about his divorce, and how he feels really screwed up, but his friends can help him back up again. It's basically about the power of friends. Otherside is the most emotional song on the CD, being about the death of Lars Fredrickson's brother Robert. The lyrics are well chosen and often catchy, and make the CD worth listening to. // 8

Overall Impression: In comparison to Rancid's other opus, 1995's ...And Out Come the Wolves, Indestructible is not as good. However, it is a good album, and could be categorized as not Hardcore Punk, but as almost-pop-punk. The sound has been softened since Wolves, but is still good. The best songs are "Red Hot Moon", "Start Now", "Fall Back Down" and "Indestructible". Basically, the first 5 tracks are the best. The others are okay, but not super-duper. If you are a fan of Rancid, buy this CD. If not, try it at a listening post and see what you think. // 8

Indestructable Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 16, 2004

Sound: As I write this review I am listening to the album and it's absolutely delightful. The sound is classic Rancid, but you can tell the band has grown, lyrically and musically. The arrangements are more complex and the attitude is totally in your face, even on the more emotional songs there is still a take no prisioners attitude. A lot of organ and keyboard is used on this album and it is well played. It give the album a real soulful feel. The sounds on this album range from the straight up punk of "Out of Control" to "Arrested in Shanghai" which sounds like a combination of Bob Dylan and London Calling-era Clash, to the psychobilly influnced Django and the raw emotion of the album's closing track Otherside, which is the only song that has ever seriously brought a tear to my eye... There are hints of Metal in Travis Bickle and classic Rancid Ska in Red Hot Moon. Overall this is a very diverse album without sounding like a clusterfuck. Sound gets a 5. // 10

Lyrics: One song that stands out lyrically would be Ivory Coast. They send chills down my spine. The first line "For 24 hours on the Ivory Coast, they relieve soldiers from their posts, dedicate champagne for a toast they pay duties to the country's host". Simple yet eloquent. "In a civil war, there's no civil rights". Maybe it's just me, but lines like this should not go without honorable mention. They're simple, yet great. Which is what punk music is about. Other standout songs are Arrested in Shanghai describing the events in the Tianamen Square (spelling error?) and Otherside which was written for Lars's dead brother. Memphis is a song about being on the road and everything about it reminds me of early rock 'n roll and gospel. The lyrics are almost spritual "By the time I made it to New Orleans, it must've been half past three, by the time we made it to Memphis we were crazy, tonight you're a blanket and you're gonna keep us warm, tonight protect us from the storm." There are the typical Rancid songs about people they meet and how the became the band they are today, but even those are well written. Rancid still sound like they are trying to be The Clash, but they pull it off with diginty not sounding too much like a copycat band. Lyrically they have grown. // 8

Overall Impression: The album as whole is great. One of their better albums, however it takes a repeated listen to discover its greatness and you have to look past the fact that it is their most comerical album to date. Many people say they sold out, but they have mearly grown and gone in the right direction without straying too far from their roots. Rancid are the best punk band around today. There is no denying that. Standout tracks on Indestructable- Django Arrested in Shanghai Stand Your Ground Otherside Ivory Coast Memphis One of their best. Although I was always a fan of Rancid's more hardcore sound of Rancid 2000 and Let's Go, this album has a permanent place in my CD player. They lyrics on this album are some of their best. Go out and buy this album if you haven't already. There's something for everybody. It appeals to hardcore punks, pop-punkers, emo kids, and everybody in between. You will not be dissapointed. This band can do no wrong. // 10

Indestructable Reviewed by: TSF_Dalton, on march 05, 2007

Sound: This album is amazing. Rancid is my favorite band. So I'm naturally going to have something good to say about it. The Style is completly unique! And the driving bass lines of Matt Freeman stand strong, and are up to par with the rest of their albums. The Tracks such as Born Frustrated, and David Courtney prove the bass skill of Matt. The Guitar is flat out crunchy, and goes great with the albums messages and stories. The drums, Brett Reed, no longer with the band unfortunatly, are still good as ever, as proven on their other albums, Brett doesn't show to much flash with his kit, although he is extreamly skilled in the art of drumming. The snare sound he uses is completly amazing, with a tight thump on the bass drum. The drums are a big part of Rancids sound. With The Exellent Guitar riffs, amazing bass lines, and kick ass drum kicks, this albums sound is over the top incredible. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are heartfelt, and deep. The track Otherside, is about Lars' brother Robert dying, and about how much they all loved him, and how much he loved Rancid. The lyric sheet is extreamly good, while in some messy handwriting, each song has the meaning and inspiration written above it. The lyrics hype me up, and get me ready to tear down the walls, hit the party, or just chill out in my room with my head phones on, thinking about stuff. This album is good for just about any mood. it's a "Sit down, and listen to it all the way through" album. If you want to pick up a Rancid album, and never heard them before, pick this one up first, and give it try. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is one of the best I've listened to, while the main-stream audience may not enjoy the raw, thriving spirit of punk music, it's deffinetly an album to go down in history. (like toothpaste) But anyway, the only flaw with this album, is the close mindedness of most music listeners. They say, "The singer sucks" but, it's not about huge voice sounds, or holding a note for 30 seconds, it's what the singer is saying, and I love what Tim is sayin! What I love about this album is the diversity of the songs, and sounds. The songs take ska, reggae, and punk, and through em in a blender, and pour em out in one big smoothie that's easy listening. If this album was lost, or stolen from me, I would go out and buy another one. it's like losing your Bible! The most impressive songs on the album would probably be "Fall back Down", "Otherside", and "Start Now". Fall back Down is about how Lars', Matt, and Brett stood by Tim when his girl left him in the middle of the recording of the album. Otherside is about Lars' dead brother, Robert, and other side is about working stuff out, or as they say, "A passive look at things." This album, is a masterpiece, and I hope to see many more like them in the future. // 10

More Rancid reviews rating latest review
+ Rancid [2000] 9.1 08/02/2010