Rancid Review

artist: rancid date: 09/26/2006 category: compact discs
rancid: Rancid
Released: May 10, 1993
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Third Wave Ska, Revival, Ska-Punk, Punk-Pop
This album rips through 15 tracks of high-energy punk that's accompanied by heavy bass leads and Armstrong's permanently slurred vocals.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.4
 9.5
 9.3
Rancid Reviewed by: tardis, on november 09, 2004

Sound: If I am not mistaken this is Rancid's first album. Before they were blessed with Lars Frederickson and before they were cursed by the new pop/punk sounds they were forced to resort to. No that is not harsh, this is Rancid's if not best then one of the best albums. 1993, with songs like Adina, Rats in the hallway and rejected... it makes you scream, it makes you sing, it makes you cry and it makes you go aw. The sound couldn't be better, Tim Armsttong headban banging his guitar, but it is the bass lines and hooks that really get you, Matt Freeman is a genious, his basslines flawless, his backing vocals average, but thats what they have Tim for. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are masterpeices. Listen to them in "Adina", "Rats In The Hallway" and "Holiday Sunrise" and you'll understand where I coming from. I think (personally) it's because rancid were so fresh back then, they had a clear mind full of ideas, and eyes that had seen alot. They know what theyre talking about in this album, it shines through them. // 10

Overall Impression: This and "let's go" blew me out of my mind. Simply perfection, what more can I say? If you want to try some songs the most immpressive are Holiday Sunrise, Another Night, Rejected, Hyena well they're all good. The only thing I can hate about it just might be the vocals, not the strongest in the world but nothing to complain about really. Everything about this album is perfect, flawless. Delivered with speed and at least we know that back then punk wasnt fully dead. Yes, I would miss this album alot if it were to get stolen, I would buy 2 copies and hide one under my bed incase the bastard who stole it came back. // 10

Rancid Reviewed by: Dookie92, on september 26, 2006

Sound: This is a great CD. Rancid is probably one of the least known of the punk revival bands from the early nineties(the other punk revival bands were Green Day and the Offspring). They have much more of an original punk sound. They sound a lot like Minor Threat and you can tell Minor Threat must have influenced them. The music is very fast(just like Minor Threat). The guitar isn't the most skillful, but that is what made Punk Punk. I also loved how you could really hear the bass. // 9

Lyrics: The singer has a voice that is really fast and hard to understand (just like Minor Threat). Many professional singers or singing instructors would probably think this is a horrible voice, but I love it. I think punk was always different than what is considered proper. I'm not quite sure about the lyrics. They are really hard to understand and I'm not sure what the meaning is. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, I think Rancid is the most punk group of the nineties. Animosity and It's quite alright are my two favorite songs from the album. I love the voice and the bass. There really isn't anuthing I hate about it. I would replace it if it was stolen or broken. // 9

More Rancid reviews rating latest review
+ ...Honor Is All We Know 7.2 10/28/2014