Rancid [2000] Review

artist: rancid date: 08/02/2010 category: compact discs
rancid: Rancid [2000]
Release Date: Aug 1, 2000
Label: Epitaph
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk Revival, Third Wave Ska Revival, Ska-Punk, Punk-Pop
If you're looking for artistic subtlety, go back to the catalog; if all you need is a half-hour of undiluted adrenaline, you've come to the right place.
 Lyrics: 7.8
 9.1
 8.9
 9.3
Rancid [2000] Reviewed by: radioplay, on june 17, 2006

Sound: Rancid [2000] is definitely my favorite Rancid album. My favorite album in general. Rancid [2000] was the first release after their influence-laced Life Wont Wait. They went back to their punk roots for this album, and as far as the punk goes, it's their loudest, fastest album. And it sounds great. // 10

Lyrics: Rancid has never been real good at writing lyrics, but some of the songs are fairly good lyricwise. Probably the best is 'Rattlesnake'. The song is about another musician. I don't know who it is, but Lars Fredrickson is angry. // 8

Overall Impression: This is my favorite album from any artist. Some of the best songs are Disgruntled, Dead Bodies, Rattlesnake, Young Al Capone, Blackhawk Down, and the best is Axiom. Axiom has a bass guitar solo very similiar to Maxwell Murder. The worst song is definitely Rigged On A Fix. The vocals are annoying and the lyrics pointless. But it is the only bad song on the album. I would buy another copy if it were stolen. Definitely. // 10

Rancid [2000] Reviewed by: bernie93, on june 05, 2007

Sound: Rancid turned a corner in making this album. There is no ska whatsoever, the album is mostly short, fast songs with dazzling drum beats such as "disgruntled". This really works for the album, however I reckon if they did any more records similar to this one, it may sound the same. Matt Freeman (bass) doesn't fail to impress either with him showcasing his skills in songs like "Axiom", "Not To Forget" and "Young Al Capone". The record contains a lot of good FX such as the wah-wah in "Let Me Go", the helicopter sound in "Black Hawk Down" and the spanish background voice in "Radio Havana" which adds to the songs overall enjoyment. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics probably aren't the most fantastic you would hear around, but you don't expect them to be great in an album like this. But the lyrics and singing really suit the songs the play, they add to the Punk feeling of the record. Lars was born for the role for punk singer, he can really shout with a good sound and depth, and it doesn't overpower the rest of the instruments playing in the music. // 7

Overall Impression: It is hard to compare this with another Rancid album because this one is so unique. But I must say it would be one of my favourites in that it is unlike anything they've done in Rancid. Some of the songs in my opinion drone a bit. But having 22 songs on an album, such as Rancid does, your bound to have a few bad songs from an audience's point of view. If I had this record stolen and had no way of getting the songs back, I would buy the album again. It definatly is a keeper. // 9

Rancid [2000] Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album isn't like any other Rancid album, the sound is amazing. I've been listening to Rancid for almost 12 years, and this album is off the wall punk. With a straight forward assault of ear shattering riffs that would send any metal head running. This is an album for any punk fan. Their sound is off the wall in this album, Matt Freemans basslines are an extreme driving force behind Rancid sound. And Brett Reed shows a lot of flash and skill with his kit on this album. Disgruntled shows much "pinash" in the solo department. The sound if a brutal blitzkreig! // 9

Lyrics: Every Rancid fan can tell you that Tim isn't much of a singer. But he went straight out with this album, with less melody based vocals, and a lot more shouting, witch gives a great punk feeling to the album. The lyrics are good, some of the best songs lyric wise would be "Let Me Go" and "Disgruntled". If you want beautiful vocals in the perfect key, then this album isn't for you. But if you like real punk, this ones for you. // 8

Overall Impression: To be honest, I really do like this album, it screams punk rock with Tim, Lars, Brett, and Matt at the front. The live it, they look it, and on this album they sound like it. It's a great album. Punk rockers everywhere will not be disapointed with this one. Fans of The Casualties and The Unseen, will fall in love with this album. If your in the mood for a good riot, give this album a spin, and destroy something! // 10

Rancid [2000] Reviewed by: squierbassist, on august 02, 2010

Sound: This album is hardcore punk rock all the way through. There is no variety, all of the songs are really fast and short. If you just want to listen to songs like "Ruby Soho" or "Fall Back Down", then this album probably isn't for you. The bass is amazing, it can be heard throughout the whole album, and Matt Freeman plays all over the fretboard of his bass. There is also plenty of squealing guitar riffs and pounding drums. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics probably aren't the most important part of this album. It's really hard to understand what they are saying most of time. Tim, Matt, and Lars all sing on this album. I think the vocals are perfect for this style of music. Sometimes people complain about Tim's voice because he slurs the lyrics and he has that weird accent, but I love it because it's punk music and it's not supposed to sound clean. A lot of people also complain about Matt's voice. I love Matt's deep, gritty vocals. He sounds different than Tim and Lars and I think he should sing more. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album if you want straight-up hardcore punk and don't care too much about the lyrics. It's different than there other albums because there aren't really any stand out songs on this one. I like to just let this album run without skipping over songs because all the songs flow right into each other. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again because I'm a big Rancid fan and I love all of there albums. // 9

More Rancid reviews rating latest review
+ ...Honor Is All We Know 7.2 10/28/2014