The True Speed Of Steel Review

9.9
 9.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
The True Speed Of Steel Reviewed by: chip8088, on march 01, 2011

Sound: I saw this band at my local crappy venue and was utterly blown away by Razormaze. At first glance I was just shocked into seeing a thrash band with such classic roots, but after buying their album The True Speed of Steel and listening to it over and over and over (and over) I found a lot more then just another new thrash band. While it's true that their overall sound is deeply influenced by classic thrash such as Exodus and Megadeth, their sound brings a lot more to the table then some of the other newer thrash bands I've seen out there. Guitarist/Vocalist Alex Citrone has a unique yet somehow classic vocal style for the most part, however, he'll bring out a small taste of death metal every know and then. Along with guitarist David Carlino, who brings a more technical aspect to the band with interesting riffs and sweep picking solos. Sam Nevin's bass and occasional back up vocals along with drummer Nick Lazzaro who pounds out classic thrashy drum beats that gives this band the classic 80s thrash feel. While this is their first album, and the recording mix leaves a bit to be desired, I found that I couldn't put this album down for at least a month and a half after buying it. // 10

Lyrics: The vocals are classic and awesome. There's not really another easy way to describe them apart from the word awesome. Citrone brings the wonderful thrash vocals that one would relate to a young Hetfiled/Mustaine hybrid (if I had to describe it), yet he's also been known to break out with falsetto wails and death metal screams on occasion. Then bassist Sam Nevin on tracks Slave to the Maze and Lobotomized brings out a low, gruff, barking vocal style not unlike Crossover Thrash bands. And behind all of these vocal styles are the barking gang vocals that every thrash fan loves. The lyrics are standard for any thrash band. From the violent Annihilator to the epic story of a gunslinger in Desperado. I didn't find anything particularly deep and insightful in their lyrics, but I wasn't looking for anything deep and insightful. I was marveling at the invention of the word Slaughterotica while enjoying the falsettos that came with the song. And even when I saw them for the first time they had me singing along with Slave to the Maze. The lyrics aren't particularly special in terms of meaning and depth, but they're catchy and fun, and that's good enough for me! // 9

Overall Impression: The True Speed of Steel was Razormaze's first official release with Hold True Records. Since then they have released another EP which only improves on their sound, style, and recording production. There were only two songs on this album that didn't instantly cause me to start head-banging violently and laughing in sheer delight, and they grew on me quickly. From the instrumental intro track Dawn of the Shred, to their personal epic anthem Slave to the Maze, this album is thrash gold. If the recording production was a bit tighter I would have nothing bad to say about this album, but they made up for that with their follow up EP Miseries. Razormaze as a band continues to impress me at how they're still only signed to a minor indie label. They've played shows with Municipal Waste, Destruction, and Death Angel, and that's only in the past few months. This whole review may sound like a bumbling fan boy, but I wasn't lying when I told the guys in Razormaze that thier 8 dollar show at my local club was the best thrash show I had seen since I saw Megadeth for the first time. It isn't often that I find an album that I want to listen to repeatedly and exclusively for as long as I listened to The True Speed of Steel. // 10

More Razormaze reviews rating latest review
+ Miseries 9.9 03/03/2011