Reckless Love - Cool Edition Review

Label: Mercury
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Reckless Love - Cool Edition Reviewed by: pepsilawson, on may 27, 2011

Sound: Finland's Reckless Love are comprised of Pepe, Jalle Verne, Hessu Maxx and one time Crashdiet singer Olli Herman (Twisted). Now anyone familiar with Crashdiet will be in for a shock when they hear Olli. Both bands coated in glam but from different sides of the same family, so be warned if your expecting dirty, sleazy glam you may be a bit off the mark. You can sense tastes of Guns N Roses bringing a slight sleaze to the table however it has a strong pop infusion from bands such as Bon Jovi and a lyrical flair similar to Van Halen and Believe me if you see them you will understand the Van Halen comparison. Now when you mix all of that and put it into a band you get their very own brand of merry metal which aims at bringing rock back to a happier time and by judging from this album, they might just do it. // 9

Lyrics: Reckless Loves lyrics are by no means complex but they don't pretend to be anything that they aren't, they're their own brand of merry metal and it bleeds fun from all aspects. The melody and hooks combined with easy sing along chorus's create anthems that seem to be too wasted on a relatively unheard of release. Olli's vocals are far superior and fitting to their songs than he was with Crashdiet. Its almost as if they're to different vocalists, On first hearing it I was worried to how his vocals would stand up live after hearing very unflattering recordings of him but after seeing the album performed live twice its easy to see that this style suits him a lot better. Notable stand out songs for lyrics are the lead single Beautiful Bomb (you can't go wrong with A Capella), Back To Paradise (I dare you to not sing along on the chorus) and the second single Romance that shows signs of Bon Jovi and both show Olli in extremely good light. // 8

Overall Impression: I have had multiple friends compare it to a serious Steel Panther which is true in points as it is a re telling of Hair Metal in the current day. But Reckless Love bring a slight modern twist but just a touch of it. It will also be compared to Crashdiets- Unattractive Revolution solely because of Olli's previously work and I must say I prefer Reckless Love as they are more fun and easy to listen to. I would highly recommend buying the Cool Edition as I own both and its nice to have the couple of bonus tracks such as the dance remix of Back To Paradise and acoustic mix's of Sex and Back to Paradise and a stellar cover of Def Leppard's Hysteria. All in all I would highly recommend them and I tip them for big things in the future. // 10

More Reckless Love reviews rating latest review