Innocence & Instinct Review

red: Innocence &  Instinct
Released: Feb 10, 2009
Genre: Alternative Metal, Christian Metal, Hard Rock, Nu Metal
Label: Sony BMG, Essential Records
Innocence & Instinct is the second full-length studio album from American Christian rock band Red. This album was released on February 10, 2009.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 8.3
 9.6
Innocence & Instinct Reviewed by: bcwfootball54, on february 18, 2009

Sound: Red is a rock band that combines hard, deep rifts with peaceful piano and stringed instruments. Red has a sound unlike any other band. No matter what anyone says they are one of a kind with how they incorporate the violin, piano, vocals and guitars into their music. There first 2 songs have that Hard sound with the classic Red screams that many will enjoy. The next few songs are softer with great lyrics greats guitar riffs and even better orchestra sounds. The overall quality of the sound is great you can hear all of the little violin parts the little picking the piano all clearly. Overall this is a great sounding album. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album sound great but personally they are harder to put together and find out what they are trying to get across in some songs. Other songs it's quiet obvious to what they are saying. And knowing that they are Christians the lyrics are very inspiring. Barne, the lead singer has a great voice. Overall the lyrics are good and are unlike many other bands. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this album is very good. I bought the extended version of the disc and I highly suggest getting it over the regular version. The songs that stand out the most to me where Shadows, Mystery of You, and Forever (Bonus Track). But honestly there isn't one song on the CD that I disliked. The intro track is a little bit weird I really want to know what the meaning behind it is. But this is a great CD. If I lost or stole this CD I would buy it again for sure. // 10

Innocence & Instinct Reviewed by: ThisIsExile666, on february 17, 2009

Sound: The Christian alternative rock band RED has one of the most unique sounds in the Religious music scene, their debut 'End Of Silence' was full of beautiful lyrics, catchy riffs, and songs that you could listen to forever. In their newest release 'Innocence and Instinct' they have improved in some areas, yet became a bit more generic. The lyrics are subtly religious, thus not overwhelming you with their beliefs. Some songs on the album sound a bit alike, and aren't as memorable as previous hits like 'Breathe Into Me' and 'Hide'. This is a very good album all the same. They still have the familiar and awesome violin parts, some OK riffs, and decent drumming. They're are no solos as usual but it is made up for the brilliant vocals. Definitely worth the purchase. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are predictably about God and faith, overall they fit well in with the instrumental sound. Some memorable songs are 'Shadows' and 'Death Of Me'. Which can touch your heart with beauty, yet not blatantly attempt to convert you. They're is even some screaming added this time, which isn't great but wouldn't be out of place in a Screamo album. Being a Christian, thinking about the lyrical themes and message really enlightened me emotionally and religiously. Whether you are a Christian or not, you'll be sure to enjoy the vocals nonetheless. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this album has many ups and downs. Some songs hook you right away and others just bore you. The band has improved since the last album, but this one is not quite as memorable as the latter. If you're new to the band, pick it up, if you're already a fan, pick it up as well, if you can ignore some minor flaws and changes. // 7

Innocence & Instinct Reviewed by: Plattypus, on february 17, 2009

Sound: When you think of Red as a band you think grunge guitars, emotional lyrics and ambient backing piano phrasings. Red's highly successful prior album 'End of Silence' created a huge following for the band. After listening to Red's previous album literally to death I was excited to hear that they had produced and created a new album. The new album is entitled 'Innocence & Instinct'. Red have often been likened to such bands as Linkin Park and this new album has really shown their own sound and style, separating themselves from mainstream sounds. Red can usually be characterised as being in the genres of ambient rock and heavy rock. Fans of Red's heavier side, with heavy fat metal-driven guitars will certaintly not be dissapointed. Innocence & Instinct use these chunky, aggressive sounding guitars in practically all of their songs in the new album. Two prominent songs which make good use of this are 'Fight Inside' and 'Death of me'. The backing orchestral sounds (violins and such) are much more prominent in the album and have been brought to the surface in many songs. That said, I found that the guitars were often misplaced in some songs which needed more of an orchestral/ ambient sound. But I guess that this just goes to show how they are changing their style. I feel that Red have a somewhat lopsided album - focusing on their heavier side. For this reason I believe they may lose a few of their fans who enjoyed and appreciated their ambient music. // 7

Lyrics: Since Red's 2007 trailer crash which left their then-drummer injured, the band commented on how fortunate they were to be alive. The lyrics are very much indicative of how the band live for every moment and how they attribute their album to a higher power. Often the lead singer, Michael Barnes, has created similar stylings to Stephen Christian from Anberlin (Listen to 'Mystery of You'). However, Barnes voice is still highly unique and his scream has become more urgent and upfront. The music is very much expressive of the things Barnes and the band are going through and what their hearts and minds are continually feeling. Innocence & Instinct is definately a personal album for both the band and the listener. Barne's emormous range in his voice is probably the main reason Red have done so well. His voice is haunting, relaxing, aggressive and expressive all at the same time which shows the extent of his talent. Many metal and post-grunge bands lyrics are lacking in dynamics, however Barne's intelligence and vivid wordings certainly come out in Innocence & Instinct. // 9

Overall Impression: My favourite songs in the new album are 'Fight Inside', 'Take it All Away' and 'Start Again'. I love the fact that Innocence & Instinct has Red's sound, voicings and new style. What I didn't like was that I felt the X-Factor from 'End of Silence' was somehow lost in the transition between albums. Maybe it is just because it would be hard to top such songs 'Already Over', 'Breathe Into Me' and 'Hide'. In my opinion End of Silence was the better album and had more range than Innocence & Instint. Some of the songs on the new album seem like they have just been thrown in as 'fillers' to get their 10 songs on the album. However, Innocence & Instinct is definately worth checking out. It may at first be quite different to their previous album but continue to listen to it and it will grow on you. I highly recommend that you listen to it before you buy it. That said, this album is definately more good than bad. // 8

More Red reviews rating latest review
+ Release The Panic: Recalibrated 7.4 05/19/2014