Release The Panic Review

red: Release The Panic
Released: Feb 4, 2013
Genre: Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal, Hard Rock
Label: Essential, Sony
"Release The Panic" is a pretty decent album from a great band, which shows RED moving into expansive territory by experimenting with melodic pop metal.
 Lyrics: 6.3
 6.5
 5.8
 7.1
Release The Panic Reviewed by: UG Team, on february 06, 2013

Sound: RED are a renowned Christian heavy metal and alternative rock band, who first emerged from Nashville back in 2006 with the release of their debut album, "End Of Silence". Their signature style of crunching hard rock that's proudly showcased throughout such songs as "Breathe Into Me" and "Not Alone" immediately appealed to headbanging music fans across the nation and overseas, and quickly gathered the band a hefty following. Now, fans everywhere will have another reason to head back out to the local music store, as RED have just released a brand new studio album, "Release The Panic", that boasts a quality unlike anything that band has previously pushed out to date. Unlike their first two records, "Release The Panic" doesn't bear a consistent, raging attitude, but instead features a nearly 50/50 mix of head pounding screamers and radio friendly pop metal tunes. Some of the best examples off the disc would have to be the post-grunge "Damage" and the title track, which are built around a galloping guitar riff and ferocious vocals. Just as soon as you get caught in the raging metal beat, the disc suddenly shifts into such commercial sounding songs as "Hold Me Now", which although don't hurt the ears it admittedly makes easily listening to entire album from start to finish a little difficult. // 7

Lyrics: Lead vocalist Michael Barnes has a very versatile singing voice. He can handle seemingly any musical genre, which works to his advantage in "Release The Panic". He can easily transition from a comforting natural tone to emitting enraging roars, while at the appropriate moments adding just enough emotion to help it compliment the song perfectly, without showing off too much. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, "Release The Panic" is a pretty decent album from a great heavy metal band, which shows RED moving into expansive territory by experimenting with melodic pop metal. While the album might not flow as well as a full balls out screamer outing, it's still in all rights a great album that any established fan should easily be able to enjoy. Out of all the new tracks, I have to say that the ones that stand out the most are "Damage", "Hold Me Now", and "So Far Away".

// 8

- Lou Vickers (c) 2013

Release The Panic Reviewed by: macjeff26, on february 20, 2013

Sound: I have been a fan of the band RED since hearing them for the first time back in 2006. Since then, I have enjoyed every album RED have made. RED's new album "Release The Panic" breaks that trend. Prior to this new release, RED have been very consistent in their sound, melodies and musicianship. It was only a matter of time before they tried something new. RED have always incorporated industrial elements to their music, which I believe mesh very well behind the crushing guitar, drums and soaring melodies. "Release The Panic" plays opposite to that, the guitars take a back seat to a techno feel that will leave you scratching you're head. It works well in a few songs, but you will find yourself waiting for that awesome riff or melody that stays with you for days, It just doesn't show up on this album. On the ballad side, the new sound seems to work much better. I would argue that the lighter tracks are the better songs on "Release The Panic". // 5

Lyrics: Michael Barnes is an exceptional vocalist. The energy and emotion he brings to this band is irreplaceable. That element is captured on this new record, Unfortunately, not enough. The songs "Glass House" and "Hold Me Now" deliver top notch vocal performances that would fit right in on any of the bands previous work. The main problem on "Release The Panic" is that the majority of the melodies and lyrics are forgetful. Aside from a few songs, they just don't grab hold of you like expected on a RED album. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, "Release The Panic" is Disappointing. Let me just say I am not one against bands evolving sounds or trying new ideas. For the most part it keeps things fresh and exciting, but "Release The Panic" is missing the powerhouse tracks and heavy staple songs that has crafted this bands sound for the past seven years. The songs replacing them seem second rate and are B-side material. To end on a positive note, its not all bad. There is some good material here, especially if you are a longtime RED fan like myself:

• "Perfect Life"
  • "Glass House"
  • "Hold Me Now" // 5

Release The Panic Reviewed by: runningblind20, on june 17, 2013

Sound: Let's face it, this album just feels lazy. Red tours non-stop, with something like 300+ shows a year, and this album is the result of that tour schedule. In the first song, "Release the Panic," it starts out with a bit of promise, with the drums and bass taking a lead, which sounds like it would be a great and new thing for Red, but this quickly gets annoying and old. Where Red's guitars once sounded sharp, crisp, up front, and slaughtered your ears with glorious riffs, the guitars in this album take a backseat... And then the bass takes a backseat too. It would be nice to say that the drums carry this album, but for about 90% of the songs the beat is essentially "boom-pop-boom-pop-boom-pop," bass-snare-bass-snare. Imagine the drums from the song "Who We Are" on the previous album, just the drums in the verse, and then copy and paste that into nearly all of the songs on this album. The effect is that most songs on this album feel like they were written SOLELY for the intention of being played on the radio, for bringing people who had never heard Red before. You can't blame them for wanting new fans, but you can certainly blame them for alienating the old ones. Soundwise, this album isn't just a step back or away from what Red is known for, it is miles in the opposite direction. Drums: disappointing, repetitive, simplistic for the most part. Bass: needs to be louder, more aggressive. It would be nice if it sounded more like the bass of Chevelle on "This Type of Thinking" or "Vena Sera," but it does not aspire to more than following the guitar. Guitar: generic, fuzzy, unimportant. No real catchy riffs, save maybe the acoustic guitar in "Hold Me Now," which is a nice change of pace. You won't hear any "Feed the Machine" or "Out From Under" riffs here, and even the more catchy riffs taste bitter before long. Other: the piano, when it shows up, is nice. Red should use more piano, period. Strings? What strings? They show up in maybe two songs, and whereas in all 3 previous albums the strings were played by real people, these strings are programmed. Red has gone the way of Breaking Benjamin, in that the string placement in songs seems more like an afterthought to make a track into a ballad. Howard Benson, known for his work with Thousand Foot Krutch, Creed, Three Days Grace, P.O.D., Papa Roach, Skillet, and Daughtry, produced this album, the first album not produced by Rob Graves for Red. Notice anything about that list of bands? Most of them have a poppy, not nu-metal, sound. While Howard can't be blamed for the material Red wrote for this album, he can be blamed for making it sound the way it does. While the riffs from previous albums have nice low string stabs or an interesting chord progression, most of this album feels full of simple chords. Sound gets a 4 because, though I hate to admit it, even on a bad day Red's music is still better than most things you hear on the radio. // 4

Lyrics: None of these lyrics REALLY struck me, not like the songs from the past 3 albums did. I'm becoming less impressed with Michael Barnes' writing ability, simply because the formula is trite. Ever since Linkin Park came out, this genre of music has loved to use the words "this," "you," "it," etc, to describe the subject in its songs. This can work sometimes, because you obviously want to make sure your audience can fill in their own subjects. Leave it ambiguous, and people will fill it with whatever means something to them. However, Barnes is capable of writing truly inspiring music, yet he sticks to the formula. He doesn't aspire to anything greater or more important in this album, or even anything different than what has been written before. It feels like he has nothing new to write about. Good metal comes from dark places, even if the band is labeled "Christian" (see bands like Oh Sleeper or August Burns Red, or even just listen to Red's previous songs "Take It All Away" and "Feed the Machine" for reference). The lyrics on this album are creative in a way, but the subjects seem to be all too familiar, like we're seeing songs that talk about the same subjects with different words. Having said that, Barnes singing has never been better. His screams are harder, his growling is lower, his highs are crisper and higher, his falsetto has more vibrato. This guy can SING. Regardless of what I have felt about each album as it comes out, Barnes has only gotten more skilled in his singing ability. This was probably the only new AND fresh thing worth mentioning on this album. // 7

Overall Impression: Sadly, amazing singing cannot save an entire album. It's difficult to describe the entire album by comparing it to past songs they have written, because their past songs, however similar, still feel better than these. Previous songs like "Overtake You" or "The Outside" are essentially what you find filling this album, except now they don't sound new or very good. This album feels far too much like a Skillet album or Thousand Foot Krutch. This is not to say that Skillet or TFK are bad bands, but the thing that has made Red so amazing is that they are NOT like any other band and they carved their own niche in the industry. No other band made it work quite like Red, but this album has brought them into the territory that far too many bands settle in. While the singing is more metal than ever, the guitars, drums, and bass just don't support the vocalizations they accompany, so the effect is flawed at best, and becomes something you've heard just a little too much before. An intense touring schedule, great success (and therefore little hardship or inspiring events to write about), the lack of Jasen Rauch's touch, and the new producer combine to make an album that is a pothole in the otherwise incredible road that Red has traveled. While the lack of strings in most songs on this album is the most noticeable, and therefore the most likely, reason to feel this album has gone downhill, the fact is that in most of the songs on this album, strings would feel contrived and forced. These songs would not mesh well with an orchestra, and the songs that would mesh well already have strings. Red didn't just decide after writing these songs that strings wouldn't work with them; they decided to focus on writing music with no intention of using strings altogether. It seems that Red did not really aspire to anything greater than what they have already done. Red is not known for putting in "filler" tracks; in all 3 previous albums, each song has held its own as a fantastic track. Yet this feels like a filler ALBUM, something that was released only to hold us over until Red comes up with something great again. Frankly, I am insulted by that, but I also hope it is true, and that the Red I love is not gone for good. I bought the deluxe version, and I would say that was the only saving grace of this album. The remixes, as well as the song "Love Will Leave a Mark," are probably the best, or the least terrible, tracks on this record. Red should do a "Reanimation" Linkin Park-esque album with dubstep remixes of their previous material, because the remix to "Death of Me" is amazing. I don't feel that this album needed to be "heavier," as in more downtuned; this album really just needs to feel more REAL, less radio friendly, to have subject matter and lyrics that have more bite and substance to them. I had read that Red had been hanging out with Brian Welch more, and that made me hope they would write something in the vein of Korn. It seems they rubbed off on him more than he did them. I finished this album and was unchanged and unaffected by what I had listened to, which is a first in my history with Red. If you want to hear what Red should be right now, look for the little known title track of the previous album, "Until We Have Faces." This song represents everything Red was and should have moved towards. I had hoped this bonus track would be a taste of what was to come, but in reality it was a wave goodbye to the Red we loved. If you like TFK or Skillet, or don't know Red very well at all, you might enjoy this album. If you are a big fan of Red, like myself, and have loved their past material, prepare to be disappointed. // 4

Release The Panic Reviewed by: zillaman, on april 16, 2013

Sound: The music in this album is split evenly between distortion on the electric guitar, and heavy drums. Tracks like "Perfect Life" and "Same Disease" have heavy guitar riffs with not a whole ton of variety. Most of the variety in the songs in this album come from the vocals, not the instruments. "Die For You" has one of the more constructed guitar riffs in the album, however, the song is not that great itself. The album cover "Release The Panic" starts out with a snare solo, and then rings with a beautiful scream by the vocalist, along with a simple yet cool guitar riff. However, after the intro, the song loses it's hold on your attention, as the lyrics repeat themselves several times over, and the vocal range is not that impressive. Overall the sound is good, but too simple for this talented of a rock band. The expectations were not met in this album. // 5

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are similar to the music, good but not great and simple. Some of the songs definitely seem as though there was more work put into some of the songs and not others. "Release The Panic", the album cover, has very few lyrics for a cover song. It repeats itself many times, and just turns into a head-banging contest, between the band and you banging your head into a wall. "Same Disease" is relatively good, making the point come across with some good vocals and guitar, however, the lyrics are still simple too predictable. In most of the songs in the album, you can predict the words that will come next, which is not good songwriting. "Glass House" has a lot of vocal emotion, giving the song a somber feel. I really thought the vocalist did well with this song, however I still felt like I was listening to a amateur rock band with a good studio. The sound quality was good, but the song and lyric quality was relatively low. // 5

Overall Impression: When compared to bands like Skillet or Flyleaf, I really don't think RED stands a chance. They are a talented bunch, but they really didn't fulfill their potential with this album. My favorite songs in the album are "Perfect Life" and "Same Disease", however, they still aren't high on my list of rock songs to listen to. I can't wait for RED to come out with another album to see if they change anything in their songwriting. I would like something more like their "End Of Silence" or "Until We Have Faces" albums. I feel like there was more variety in those albums, and the overall sound was better. // 6

More Red reviews rating latest review
    + Release The Panic: Recalibrated 7.4 05/19/2014