Freaky Styley Review

red hot chili peppers: Freaky Styley
Release Date: 1985
Label: EMI
Genres: Funk Metal, College Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock
Freaky Styley is the quirkiest, loosest, and most playful album in their long and winding catalog.
 8.4
 8.8
Freaky Styley Reviewed by: fleabass, on june 01, 2006

Sound: This is the Red Hot Chili Peppers second album, after the largely poor show of their self titled album. The Chilis did not see eye to eye with producer Andy Gill on the first album, and so recruited legendary member of P Funk George Clinton. In the early days, the chili peppers were primarily a funk band with a punk rock influence. Clinton's influence clearly shows on this record. There are many strong tracks here, I think that Freaky Styley is quite underrated by fans, as it often falls into the shadow of Mothers Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik. All the songs on here are original except for the meters "Africa" (changed to "Hollywood") and Sly and the family Stone's "If you want me to stay". Both are incredibly funky pieces of work, with George Clinton guest singing in "Hollywood. For Anthony Kiedis, the job of singing "If you want me to stay" presented a great challenge, as Sly Stone was one of the most complicated vocal arrangers to date. However he pulls it off in style. Other tracks really pull together like "Blackeyed Blonde" where Flea's use of mute notes and slapping really adds a percussive element to the already incredibly tight groove. The Brothers Cup" also is a personal favourite as are "Nevermind" "Catholic School Girls Rule" "Sex Rap" and the two covers I have already mentioned. // 10

Lyrics: In the early days, the Chili's lifestyle was a lot more drug and sex orientated, and consequently this shows in Anthony's lyrics. His lyrics on this record are mainly to do with sex, drugs or gratuitous self promotion as on "Nevermind". His lyrics are more observational than they have been on more recent chili pepper albums when he seems to be more introspective. As yet, Anthony still hadn't properly found his voice and was largely rapping at this point. // 7

Overall Impression: Hillel Slovak was missing on the Chilli Pepper's debut album, and his input was sorely missed. His guitar parts in this are nothing short of extraordinary. Though he normally cuts short on solos and leads, his rhythm work is astounding, melding the slinky grooves of funk guitar with the mayhem of punk rock. Flea does likewise with his bass, changing from smooth funk grooves to hard-core complicated slapping riffs. Anthony's loud rantings fit in well with the band, and Cliff Martinez's solid and occasionally avant-garde rhythms give the band a rock solid foundation. // 8

Freaky Styley Reviewed by: Footzyrama, on october 05, 2007

Sound: This will not be an album to everyone's taste. It is quite different to Red Hot Chili Peppers of new. There is a lot of Emphasis on the bass, as you would expect in any album involving Micheal Balzary. This intwined with some, sometimes simplistic and at other times riddled with effects guitar riffs this makes a very enjoyable album. This is when some would say Anthony Kiedis' vocals were not "very strong". However there very different from older Chili Albums and I think work well with the music. This album is an early example of the red hot chili peppers however the recording is still very well done in my opinion. Without a lot wrong at all. If you enjoy the first track "jungle man" you will most likely be entertained through-out the album. // 9

Lyrics: Anthony Kiedis' Vocal talent has certainly progressed over the years. And if you listen to this album and then a later album like stadium arcadium you may say they were a lot weaker without as much power behind them. However he does have a very strange style. A kind of Rap/sing medley. And in this album it works. The lyrics may be viewed by others as a very poor attempt. But I personally like them. They fit well with the music and are very different, very unlikely anyone else would put on them paper. // 9

Overall Impression: For some reason I love this album. As I do with a lot of other Red Hot Chili album's. I am officially hooked on them and although I may not listen to this album as much as others I do often find myself with a longing to go back to Red Hot Chili's roots. I love the style of writting this band has/had. Songs like "Yertle The Turtle" and "Nevermind" in my opinion make it worth the investment. If this album was stolen or lost I'd buy it again, without hesitation. // 10

More Red Hot Chili Peppers reviews rating latest review