Greatest Hits Review

7.8
 9.2
 6.3
Greatest Hits Reviewed by: Cobain-iac_90, on november 10, 2005

Sound: The Red Hot Chili Peppers have probably become one of the most influential bands for the last decade or so, and this CD shows you how they've done it. John Frusciante is a wonderful guitarist with a gift for creating catchy hooks and riffs, I mean, just look at "Californication" and "Under The Bridge." If you can't recognize those songs right off the bat, then you must have been living under a rock for the last couple of years. And I cannot heap enough praise onto their bassist, Flea. He brings a certain rock/funk/punk style up to the table, and it's just amazing. He creates wonderful basslines that compliment John's style perfectly, but neither one ever outshines the other. Now that's teamwork. And Anthony Keidis has a very distinct vocal tone, one that you could recognize in a second. Now, even though John isn't a huge shredder or a jazz fusion maestro, doesn't mean that his playing sucks. I've definitely taken a liking to his laid back style of playing, and that my friends is just as good as running a chromatic scale in under 20 seconds. Overall, great stuff. // 9

Lyrics: I believe that the lyrics fit the music perfectly, although at times it's a little hard to totally comprehend them. But when you start off with a classic like "Under The Bridge," Anthony's story about where he used to get high, and move into the funky stuff like "Give It Away" and "Suck My Kiss," it's hard not to want to get up and dance to some of these. Then you hit some of their slower, more mellow songs, like "Scar Tissue," "Soul To Squeeze" (previously only found on the "Coneheads" soundtrack) and "Otherside," which show the more versatile styles of all the musicians. And the one song on there that definitely took me by surprise was the song "Road Trippin'" which has sort of a '60s vibe, where all the musicians would just gather for a jam, and create something much like this. Laid back, deep, and most of all fun. And as I did say earlier, Anthony has a magnificent voice, one which has given birth to many a different artist. Good lyrics makes a catchy song even better, I've always said. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to some of my other albums, this is one you'd never expect me to listen to. But the attitude, the mood, the warmth that the Chilis create is just unbelievable. They make you wanna dance, then they make you wanna slow down to mull over some things. They're just so versatile and diverse, just as their audiences are. I cannot say that there was one song on this album that I skip whenever I play it(except for when time is of the essence, that is) because they all seem to move fluidly into the next. I loved that this collected some of their best radio hits, but I was a little shocked to see some material missing from the CD, such as "Aeroplane," "The Zephyr Song" and "Around The World." But of course, I did buy the DVD/CD package, so the music videos and documentary more than made up for that. This CD (and/or DVD package) was well worth my money. I cannot imagine not owning this, or even not having heard one song of it. If I lost this, I would start a full scale search trying to find it. Comb the desert, burn down the forests (although that would piss the band off) do anything in my power to find it. And if by any chance some idiot decides to steal it, he will more than likely wind up in intensive care for messing with my Chilli-Willies. To get more bang for your buck folks, get this album. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: disturbd, on november 08, 2004

Sound: My story is similar to one of the ones above. I was at a friends house, and he had "Under The Bridge" playing. At the time, I had never heard the song, and didnt know who sung it. Asked him what band it was and he told me. After I heard, I could point out at least 10-15 songs I had heard in the last week or so. That brings me to one great point of this album, and of the band as a whole. The music is so unique, the second you hear something by them, you immediately know who it is simply because of the style. Any band that can do that has a unique enough sound to do that would have to one in a million, and this just happens to be that one. // 10

Lyrics: First of all, everyone knows that their lyrics tend to not make sense, but in my opinion, it doesnt have to make a story to be a good song, the lyrics just have to work together, and they do fine with the majority of all the rhcp songs. One of the definite highlights is "Under The Bridge". This is one of the few songs that actually tells a story. Anthony Kiedis' singing skills are good, but are mixed during live performances. // 10

Overall Impression: This really doesn't compare to any artists since its a very unique style of music that is pretty much known only to them. The song highlights are "Californication", "Suck My Kiss", "By The Way", "Under The Bridge", "Fortune Faded", "Higher Ground", "Give It Away". All the songs are excellent choices for a greatest hits album, and while half the album may be a little much for listing the song highlights, I'm just split because the album is so good. If it was lost/stolen I would definitely buy it again without another thought. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: mrnep, on june 27, 2005

Sound: Probably, show the variety that RHCP can play. From the hip-hop style Give It Away to the sweet Scar Tissue, it's got everything. Makes a good compilation of greatest hits with various tracks throught their career. The bass of Flea is amazing in some songs and the drumming is unique. Not the type of hard drumming like typical rock acts but drumming in a certain rhythm. Backed up by a versatile vocalist, makes a good album. // 10

Lyrics: Use of explicit language doesn't make a song catchy. So, sometimes RHCP missout on the lrics. Songs like Suck My Kiss have amazing music but no lyrical background. But, still their words have good substance. // 6

Overall Impression: Amazing album! For, a newcomer there is nothing like buying this. // 8

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 19, 2003

Sound: A great mix of all the best rap, funk be-bop tracks. Great track. I'm very disappointed that the oldest track is 1989. I would have loved some early stuff as I loved Jackie and Hillel. As many reviews have said "what it says on the tin" which is not entirely true but still good. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics, as expected - it's the "greatest" hits after all. Anthony Kiedis's singing excelss as usual and the two new tracks are amazing, though others don't seem to think so. // 10

Overall Impression: Having comapred with other greatest hits it truely kicks serious ass. John Frusciante, Micheal 'Flea' balzary and Chad Smith, with tracks also including Areoplane and Dave Navarron once again blew my mind and it just proves just because most members are in their 40's they haven't lost it. It's worth buying even if you have previos albums containing the tracks as their are two new tracks the rock as does the rest of the album in only a way in which the Chili peppers know how. I love the sound that seems to only come from hte Chili's, Antony has a one and only kind of voice and Flea is the greatest bassist I have ever heard. enhaced by Chad's supureb drums and John and Dave exellent guitar skills. Though i would have liked to have heard more Jackie and Hille, though for that you just buy Out in LA. The Chili's kick ass as they hve always done nd like a good wine seem to get better with age. (Though I don't like wine os like a good bitter.) // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: flip, on november 25, 2003

Sound: The sound in thisalbum is awesome. And even still that word is and understatement of powerful sounds that accompany the whole albums package. From powerful notes and chords in songs like suck my kiss and higher ground to more soft and mesmerizing tunes like by the way, californication and scar tissue. This album embodies a perfect harmony between many contrasts that the chili peppers have. The hard and the soft. the light and the heavy etc. Every song has its place on the album and appears where its needed. Even Fortune Faded, their new single fits into this album in such away that it perfectly completes their summary of the last 14 or so years of thier history. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics are heartfelt and meaningful. All though that some songs may need a listen over or two in order to appreciate the meaning, i.e californication which at some points in the song is not clearly audible, let alone what they're trying to say is the only downfall. Anthony Keidus is a powerful singer with full emotions clearly noticable when he sings. And he needs to be to with such hard ships the chili peppers have faced over the years. Its a prerequisite for him. The lyrics are overall, nearly flawless and go perfectly to each song. // 8

Overall Impression: This is by far one of the greatest chili peppers albums around. A perfect blend of old and new, anybody curious in the chili peppers should pick this one up for starters. As for the hardcore fans, this is a must own. One drag is you don't hear there very early stuff, but that's really OK. Songs that stand out on this album are Fortune Faded, Save the Population, Otherside, Universally Speaking, and my personal favourite, Higher Ground. Those songs alone would make an awesome album. Should this album break or get lost, I'd be buying it again the next day. These guys have been around for 20 years, and at there current rate, could go for anther 20 years. Awesome. Truly Awesome. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: TwO, on december 22, 2003

Sound: We all know how the Chilli Pepers found they are agruably the best and most popular band on earth at the moment and afetr 20 years its about time they brought out a greatest hit album. The best thing about this album is the that you get the in your face songs of the early Chilli peppers Give It away, Suck My Kiss, Higher Ground and the more mellow songs of todays Red Hot Chilli Peppers Scar Tissue, Universally Speaking, Fortune Faded and of course their most popular song Under The Bridge which is the song that really got them into the main stream. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are as always very good. Of course the pick of the bunch lyically has the be Under The Bridge this song retrives a faint, tattered glamour from the soul-rotting realities of drug addiction some of you may know that British girl pop group All Saints did a awful cover of this song Kiedis the chilli's vocalist later remarked 'It was comical, they were so pretty and clean, big smiles on their faces, it looked like they didn't knoe what they were singing about' which more than likly they didn't. Other lyically good songs are Californication the lyrics this song;s lyrics are laced with paranoia as 'Psychic spies form China/Try to steal your minds elation' which of course they will if your not careful! But their is also some good upbeat lyrics for example in Higher Ground 'Next thing I know/I left the pope with a sin'. // 10

Overall Impression: This is the best greatest hits album I've heard since Nirvana brought Theis out its excellent. Most impresive songs on the album are Under The Bridge, Scar Tissue, Higher Ground and look out for the new song Save The Population its great.The mix of the of retro and new Chilli Peppers stuff is what I love most about this album. This album is diffently one to add to your collection. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 02, 2004

Sound: This is the warner years greatest hits package with the exception of higher ground. The album shows how the band has matured over the years with all the heartache. It's filled with most of the ballads and has only one song from one hot minute (enter insult to fusciante fans here.) Thus the album is full of all the poppy stuff you hear on the radio. Why the hell did they change the chorus to Fortune Faded? // 8

Lyrics: Ballads usually contain the most touching lyrics, yet the Chili's come up with the goods in all their songs. // 10

Overall Impression: The songs chosen do make this the essential "hits package" but if you want to discover why they are the pioneers of rap/metal you should look up their old EMI albums or pick up what hits? // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: UtBDan, on september 27, 2004

Sound: The Red Hot Chili Peppers have one of the best and most distinctive sounds out there. This CD captivates it, for the most part, perfectly. Admitabbly, to be the greatest greatest hits out there it should've included more tracks before "Blood Sugar Sex Magik", but this was designed to be the Greatest Hits of their Warner years (with the exception of Higher Ground, their only mainstream hit before BSSM.) This is infact the best of the best. I dislike their 2 new songs on the album, but it doesn't matter. All the rest is orgasmic, and there's 6 minutes I don't really need at the end it's still beautiful. // 10

Lyrics: The Red Hot Chili Peppers have an interesting lyric style. If you're a fan, you're aware of this. The lyrics are always perfectly grooved with the music, but the lyrics aren't always legitimate or make much sense. With all the ballads, there are beautiful lyrics, with all the funky weirdness, there are funky weird lyrics. "Under The Bridge" is beautiful, "Give It away" is funky weird. Both are excellent. The band has vcariety with its lyrics, the CD shows it. Anthony Kiedis also has a fine voice, showing off his range on "Under The Bridge", his rolling of the tongue on "Give It away" (along with some of his not-really-heard-on-this-CD-because-it-was-their-old-school-days Rapping Ability). Overall, it's pretty damn great. // 10

Overall Impression: This is probably the best out of everything the Red Hot Chili Peppers released. It's better than any one of their albums, and I enjoy it a lot more than I do What hits? (What hits? is their first Greatest Hits CD, spanning the band's EMI years, for those of you who don't know.) Almost every song is beautiful, and except for the 2 new songs I can listen to every second and love it. The question comes down to this: Are you an avid Red Hot Chili Peppers fan or new to them? If you're new to them, this is a must have. But if you have every Red Hot Chili Peppers album, getting those 2 new songs won't complete your collection. The 2 new songs do not make this worth it if you have every other Red Hot Chili Pepper CD out there, but it includes one of their best songs that's not on any of the other RHCP CDs ("Soul to Squeeze"), so it might be worth it. If it got lost, I wouldn't buy it again, but that's because I have it on my PC and could burn it without the 2 songs I dislike replaced by some of the missing songs that belong here. I still really don't have any complaints with the CD. // 10

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: shoebox_of_lies, on february 21, 2006

Sound: The Chilis are one of the greatest rock bands around today, and even though I don't believe that they could put all their hits on one cd, this is pretty close. They are an original band, and they have a great sound, all talented musicians. It's a definet buy if you don't own any other RHCP CD, and want to get in to it. // 7

Lyrics: Andy's a great singer, he knows his voice and knows what to do with it. They have some of the most deep, profound lyrics, and sometimes they have some kinda frat-boy party words "Gonna get it got to give it to your moma." // 7

Overall Impression: It's a great CD, but there were no special features on the cd, like a video or something like that. I was a little disapointed it didn't have some hits like "Can't Stop," or "Zephyr Song," but it's still good. Great tracks include "Otherside," "By The Way," "Under The Bridge" and "Save The Population." I don't think I would buy it again, since half the tracks are from "Blood Sex Sugar Magic," but it would be worth borrowing off a friend. // 7

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: Godbe, on february 22, 2006

Sound: Well obviously because it's a Greatest Hits, it's the best collection of Chili tracks, and to be honest they are all fantastic in their own right. John has a really distinctive playing style and is by far one of my favourite guitarist. Flea is a fantastic bass player, and mixed with John's great playing, they have a really fun sound. If I hadn't listened to most of the tracks on here before I had it, I wouldn't know what to expect, becuase they're such a dynamic group and each song can be totally different from the last. // 9

Lyrics: Anthony isn't one of my favourite singers, but I think he's good anyway. The lyrics don't seem to make sense in some cases, but they blend that well with the music, that it doesn't bother me at all. // 8

Overall Impression: I don't really buy that much music, and this album was bought for me as a Christmas present. However I listen to a range of music, and I'm very fussy about songs, however RHCP are one of the only bands that I could listen to every song they've written, and enjoy it. I couldn't choose a favourite track from the album because I love their songs so much, but if I had to choose, I would say "Californication". It has really understandable lyrics, a fantastic sound and one of the best videos I've ever seen! One thing that greatly dissapointed me though, was that I bought the DVD/CD Version, so Classics like "Can't Stop" and "Aeroplane" I can't put on my computer! And more importantly my MP3 Player! But I can cope. If the album went missing, or was stolen I wouldn't replace it beacuse I have the album saved on my computer, but if that wasn't the case, I would definetly replace it, no questions asked. // 9

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: chris_4, on march 24, 2006

Sound: AS all there other albums I really liked the sound of this album thats probaly becasue its just there best songs but either way there sound is really good. One of my favourite part of songs is the solo and the Red Hot Chili Peppers have always been able to put together a good solo wether its guitar or base. I liked some of there base solos so much I started learning on my friends base guitar. // 9

Lyrics: For there lyrics there were good and once again that's probably because it's there greatest hits album. Although there rhymes are nnot always very complex there always good and that is why I like them. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression was very good except for one problem and this wasn't a small problem this was a pretty huge problem and that was that cant stop which is one of my favourite songs by them I don't know how they missed that but they did. If you agree wiht me that you where angry about the fact that they left that song out please email and we can share our anger and sadness. // 8

Greatest Hits Reviewed by: griffinsilver, on november 10, 2007

Sound: The finer points of the Red hot Chili Peppers guitar, bass, and drum skills are shown in this album without a doubt. Without either of those components could they have recorded such hits as Under The Bridge, Higher Ground, and Give It Away. Their sound is impeccable, and so is their playing. // 10

Lyrics: The Red Hot Chili Peppers have gotten along with the amazingly deep songwriting of lead singer, Anthony Kiedis. His lyrics are many to which people can remember and base real-life situations on.for example and excerpt from his Californication album, the song Californication. "Destruction leads to a very rough road. But it also breeds creation." And it is those type of lyrics which have burst them on the ballot for a chance to be indicted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. // 10

Overall Impression: The Red Hot Chili Peppers to me are the funkiest white boys in the business today. They have recorded modern hits such as Dani California, and Snow (Hey Oh), but they have been doing it for years. Which shows completely on this masterpiece collaboration. Even not on their latest album but the one before featured hits such as Can't Stop (which is stuck in my head as I am writing this) and the song By the Way, which is a perfect mix of hard funk and soft guitar riffs. You listen to songs like Higher Ground; where unbelievable bass lines by none other than the amazing Flea, are incorporated by the late great Hillel Slovak (RIP), and these are the tunes that have slowly blown them to the top of the music scene. Other softer song they have done with many very creative and soulful guitar riffs include Under the Bridge, The Zephyr Song, and Californication. they have been here for almosi 25 years and they're here to stay. // 10

More Red Hot Chili Peppers reviews rating latest review