One Hot Minute Review

Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Funk Metal
 Lyrics: 9.1
One Hot Minute Reviewed by: asmiff, on august 20, 2008

Sound: During the Japan leg of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' 1992 "BloodSugarSexMagik" tour, lead guitarist John Frusciante abrubtly left the band due to his discomfort with RHCP's skyrocketing popularity. This left the group without an integral piece of the puzzle, and they eventually replaced Frusciante with former Jane's Addiction six-stringer Dave Navarro. Navarro brings a whole new culture of sound to the Chili Peppers, which turns most fans away from the album. His arena rock style doesn't seem to fit well with the funk-on-steroids approach of bassist Michael "Flea" Balzary, although drummer Chad Smith puts forth one of this best efforts on the album. The Peppers obviously seem out of their element with Navarro instead of Frusciante, but despite the natural negative reaction fans will take, this group still puts together some decent sound for "One Hot Minute". // 7

Lyrics: At the time of the writing and recording for "One Hot Minute", frontman Anthony Kiedis was heavily addicted to drugs and slipping into depression, which shows in what is easily his darkest album lyrically. This album took longer to record and produce then any of the Red Hots' other efforts, in part because of the transition to Navarro, but also because Kiedis took extended vacations to his hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan, to ease his depressed state. Although the lyrics in "OHM" are very dark and depressing, some of Kiedis' most quotable lines come from the album, and he still shows great vocal skills, which seem to become better with every new album RHCP puts out. Flea also contributes his writing skills to a couple songs, and even sings on "Pea", a must-listen for any bassist out there. // 8

Overall Impression: "One Hot Minute" has widely been deemed a failure (despite reaching #4 on the U.S. charts), and when compared to the albums RHCP has put out since then it definitely seems like they don't reach their full potential in the follow-up to the critically-acclaimed "BloodSugarSexMagik". However, there are still some very good songs on this album, and if you are a fan of the Chili Peppers, you definitely need to take a listen. Even if you believe this album is a complete train wreck, it taught the band a lot and it gave them a chance to grow into the exceedingly wise and talented group that they are today. I do not think this album deserves to be passed over. It fills the void between "BSSM" and "Californication" with a different type of swagger, but swagger nonetheless. The top song off of this album is the radio gem "My Friends", which was the only "OHM" track to be included on their 2003 Greatest Hits CD. The rest of the songs are generally looked over, but "Aeroplane" sends RHCP back to their uber-funk roots and has very enjoyable sound and lyrics. "Shallow be thy Game" is a single that did not chart, but is the best from the batch of Navarro's arena-rock craziness. "Warped" is another of Navarro's eccentric roller coasters which includes odd echoing vocals from Kiedis. The title track is a fun listen but stretches over 6 minutes. Kiedis' sappy tribute to the late Kurt Cobain, "Tearjerker", is also a decent track. To get a feel for the overall sound and nature of the album, download the final song, "Transcending". // 8

One Hot Minute Reviewed by: con job, on june 29, 2007

Sound: I know this is fairly late review, considering how old this album is, but recently it has grown on me a lot, and I feel that this is ignored simply because John freakin Frusciante wasn't playing on it, which is extremely unfair. Because behind all the bad times the band were going through during the recording of this, is possibly the best Red Hot Chili Peppers album ever made. It's true there is a darker tone to it, and the listener is hit with this tone straight away. Anthony sings"My tendency for dependency is offending me" in the opening track Warped. However, seconds later the song explodes into dirty, uncharacteristically heavy funk metal. It can be noted a lot of these songs are heavier in nature to anything RHCP have come out with before. Songs like One Hot Minute and Shallow Be Thy Game, and even the outro the originally laid back Transcending, enter territory not familiar to RHCP, maybe only emulated before in Johnny Kick A Hole In The Sky from the album Mother's Milk. Dave Navarro on guitar does nothing spectacular in the way of soloing, and it can be argued that the wah pedal is utilised a bit too much. However, he shows his true guitaring ability in the slower songs My Friends and Tearjerker. This album is also arguably one of Flea's greatest displays of his talent. From the verse slap riff in Aeroplane to the solo in Coffee Shop, you cannot argue that you're listening to a genius at work. The sound on this album is a lot grittier and heavier than people may be used to, but in truth it is a standout album of the '90s. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics range from extremely dark, to the almost random lyrics the Chili's are known for. In Warped Kiedis sings "So much love/So rare to dare. Afraid of ever being there. Take me home, I need repair, Take me please to anywhere". This song is possibly thr darkest song on the album lyricwise, only rivalled by Deep Kick. However, on the other side of things, the lyrics are the norm that you would expect from an RHCP record. AK's pain about his reborn drug addiction is evident in some songs, and Tearjerker is about the death of Kurt Cobain, but otherwise lyrically it's your average funky Chili Pepper album. // 8

Overall Impression: Again, this album will be ignored because of the absence of John Frusciante, and fans that RHCP have picked up in recent years will possibly never even know of One Hot Minute's existence, because of the lack of songs played from it at concerts today. And it's a shame it will be overlooked, because here lies, in my opinion, one of the greatest, if not the best, RHCP records ever made. It has a perfect blend of funk metal, and the slower songs that the Chilis on occasion can do so well. Each song deserves it's place on that album, and there is not one song that I can say to be weak. If I was to criticise it, I would say that Dave overdoes it with the effects just a tad, and the solos aren't always what they could be. And sometimes the casual listener may feel it's sometimes a little to dark and heavy(not in a musical sense, but in sense of a mood). However, it is an exceptional record. It's the Chili's heaviest record, and is the dark horse of their collection. But if people would give it a chance, it's a gem of a record. // 9

One Hot Minute Reviewed by: bexinthematrix, on october 23, 2003

Sound: The sound of 'One Hot Minute' is a lot heavier compared to all the other Chili Pepper albums, this is mainly due to Dave Navarro on guitar, the album seems darker but at the same time energetic. The album still features more laid back tracks aswell such as the gorgeous 'Walkabout' and despondent 'My Friends' // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics reflect some of the lowest points in the history of the Peppers, especially in 'Deep Kick', but it also has lighter lyrics, such as in 'Walkabout', which I mentioned above, and the sexy tone of 'Falling into Grace'. // 10

Overall Impression: Although most people do not like this album (especially the Frusciante fans) I think it is one of the best albums the Chili Peppers have. I like the whole album and can't choose a favourite song. I have tried to find something I don't like about 'One Hot Minute' but in all honesty this is one album i cannot find fault with. I don't just recommend this for RHCP fans, but also those that would usually buy heavier music and still like a bit of that funk vibe. // 10

One Hot Minute Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2004

Sound: This is the most underrated album by the Chili's as it has recieved such bad press since the return of John Frusciante. It's heavy, funky, moving and I believe the guys have captured the overall vibe of what was happening just right. This was the first album I bought after I saw the aeroplane video and I love it! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics just show what problems the guys were going thru, the sad my friends, tearjerker which is a song about Kurt Cobain and the touching transcending a tribute to River Phoenix. Personally I believe the best lyrics come up at testing times. // 10

Overall Impression: The funky songs keep the flame of the old skool alive and the heavy songs blast you away! This is a great fusion of the RHCP and Jane's Addiction sounds. In my personal opinion if you don't like this album, you can't be much of a fan! // 10

One Hot Minute Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2004

Sound: I must start this review by telling you that I am a major John Frusciante fan - hell, I idolise the man and usually us Frusciante-heads tend to shun One Hot Minute because, well, he didn't play guitar on it. But, I decided to buy it, just to give the whole Dave Navarro-era Chili Peppers a try (I think any true fan should). I can't say that it's my favourite Chilis album (I can't help it, I'm biased, sue me) but there's nothing wrong with it at all. It's got a heavier, more mature sound due to the circumstances at the time they wrote and recorded it. Personally, I think it carves a nice little roadway to the outskirts of Californication territory I.e it is mature, but still keeps a funky vibe with some songs, like One Big Mob for instance. There are the heavier songs then like Deep Kick and My Friends. Pea is short and sweet and Aeroplane is quite laid back and mellow. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrically this album is brilliant. The lyrics highlight the feeling in the band at the time after what had happened. The songs with the heavier lyrics include Deep Kick and My Friends ("My friends are so distressed/And standing on the brink of emptiness"). Pea is about how being or feeling small isn't always a bad thing "Big and tough and macho you can kick my ass/So fucking what". Tearjkerker is written about Kurt Cobain. But also with these heavy lyrics come the lighter ones reminiscent of BloodSugrSexMagik "Back and forth my body's jerking/Will to thrill will not stop working" and "Another go in the parking lot/Frewak the cheek on your hotspot." I was very impressed by the maturity and truth of the lyrics on this album and Anthony's singing is beautiful. // 10

Overall Impression: It's not my personal favourite Chilis album as I said before, but it's definitely worth a listen. I was in a bit of a dilema when I bought it, wondering if I was betraying John or something (don't ask, I'm weird ok) but then I decided "Hey, you know, just give it a go ok, Anthony, Flea and Chad gave Dave Navarro a chance, so why can't I?" and that's my advice to any Chilis fans because you don't truly know a band if you don't listen to all their stuff from different times and different frames of mind and stuff. It's like you can't know the Chilis until you listen to the stuff they did with Hillel Slovak and Jack Irons, you know? Every musician that has contributed to this band has left their mark and it's only fair that you give them a try, yes even if you're a Frusciante-head like me. You won't be disappointed with One Hot Minute, it's not like it's a dreadful piece of work or anything, it's quite underrated actually. If this were stolen/lost I would buy it again. Stand out songs for me are: My Friends, Coffee Shop, Tearjerker, Pea and Aeroplane (that's my favourite from it). // 8

One Hot Minute Reviewed by: cradleoffilth, on november 22, 2004

Sound: One Hot Minute is a special CD for me. It was one of my first CD's. I buyed it in a second hand shop in Roeselare (Belgium) for a little price, but it was in good condition. The CD must be damaged of playing it so many times. The sound on the CD is really awesome and I like the way Chad Smith plays the drums. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are written on a special way and they not really have a subject, and that's very cool. If you look in that little book of the CD, you can see that the lyrics are drawed in Old English style fonts with drawings. "Think I'll Go On A Walkabout" is always in my head, because I love that song. // 10

Overall Impression: It compares with all of they're other albums, because they all are very awesome. Aeroplane, Shallow Be Thy Name, Walkabout and Coffee Shop are my favorite songs. It's the best album of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I have better CD's in my collection. If it were stolen or losted I would say: "Bwaaah, I will buy another one", I think so. No, I will really buy another one! // 6

One Hot Minute Reviewed by: Ucoldchili, on april 05, 2007

Sound: This album is very good, no one can deny that unless they are proclaiming how good the real chili's are. Honestly, I get pissed off with people bagging Navarro, the truth is, he is fantastic and the album is too. Sure he was not a true chili, and he did not take the whole thing very seriously, but that's the drugs talking. Anyway, don't listen to what the f--king critics say when they say it's crap, because it is very good. The truth is, good bands change, and the chili's have cahnged a lot. They've ranged through heavy, acoustic, funk, rock and all other strange aspects to stay fresh, and One Hot Minute is a perfect example of a change for the good. I write this proudly wearing my Red Hot Chili Peppers shirt, and telling whoever read this that this is a f--king good album. // 9

Lyrics: Most of these lyrics are in relevance to what is going on in Kiedis' life at the time, drugs and his friends' crisis. Frusciante is a human skeleton on the verge of death and Kiedis is shooting up after again, the truth is he is having a little bit of a shit time. In 'My Friends', he talks of his friends depressed and distressed, directed to John. Besides his addiction, Kiedis tries to show he doesn't want drugs with 'Aeroplane', "I like pleasure spiked with pain and music is my aeroplane" He's pretty much saying music is better than drugs. His singing is at a stage similar to that of Blood Sugar Sex. It is developing into something that is going to be one of the most infamous voices in the world with the realease of Californication, but for now he's rocking with Flea, Chad and Dave in the wonderful world of alternative music. // 8

Overall Impression: Compared to other albums, I would say that it is quite simply different. Most of the songs on it are very good, including the melodic "Aeroplane" and "My Friends" a dedication to Kiedis' suffering friends. Then there are the heavier songs which is what we all need to get from a chili album, like "One Hot Minute" and "One Big Mob". It has those essences of strange, alternative sounds that Dave brings in from Jane's Addiction, Flea just f--king owns the bass, Chad does what he does best, and Kiedis shows us a new Kiedis. It is true that there is something missing with John gone, but just enjoy this shot of Navarro and then John'l come back with Californication, okay? // 9

One Hot Minute Reviewed by: SameOld, on september 10, 2008

Sound: With the temporary departure of John Frusciante The Red Hot Chili Peppers continued valiantly, recruiting former Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro to play on their 1995 release One Hot Minute. Gone are the infectious, chirping funk numbers of Blood Sugar Sex Magik, and thrust staggeringly into the limelight are Navarro's crunching riffs, all of which groove rhythmically along with The Chili's usual rhythm section. It almost feels as if Navarro is reluctant to take hold and lead the song, when he does it turns out well enough, but nothing that comes close to surpassing Frusciante's genius licks on Blood Sugar Sex Magik. At his best Navarro delivers the goods, at his worst he copies John Frusciate's style blatantly. Flea seems to be pushed from his usual spot, his bass often audible, though completely overshadowed by Dave Navarro's hard rock riffs. Chad Smith, however, steps his game up, pounding like a madman throughout the blistering chant of 'Warped' notably. // 7

Lyrics: Anthony Kiedis, the happy, reformed addict we knew from Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik returns, with his drug habit in full effect. Allegedly he had a tooth pulled and had to be drugged, leading to relapse. His lyrics are tormented, even the most positive of them ending up as lamentations as demonstrated on 'Aeroplane'. He delves from death, to friends, to loss, to addiction and even to recalling his bizarre upbringing. It all leaves a sad hole in the pit of your gut, because the hole CD seems lyrically devoid of any happiness. But Kiedis is a skilled, and ever-improving lyricist, forming rhymes that any other man would struggle with, with ease. He also widens his vocal palette, shifting even farther from his rapping and singing almost exclusively on One Hot Minute, a feat he accomplishes with surprising grace. // 9

Overall Impression: A twisted snapshot of The Red Hot Chili Peppers in one of their darkest hours, regardless One Hot Minute is a listenable and fairly enjoyable album. Some songs could definitely have been cut, perhaps an indication of the hazy state of affairs they were mixed up in during recording. This is without a doubt The Chili's least inspired CD, and not recommended to a first time listener, however if you are a seasoned Chili's fan and haven't tuned into One Hot Minute you may as well give it a try, there are a handful of good tracks. 'Warped', 'My Friends', 'Shallow Be Thy Game' make up the most solid of the songs. // 7

More Red Hot Chili Peppers reviews rating latest review