Red Hot Chili Peppers Review

red hot chili peppers: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Release Date: 1984
Label: EMI
Genres: College Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock, Funk Metal
Even though their fusion of heavy guitars and slapping bass was audacious, their first effort didn't quite gel into a cohesive album.
 7.5
 6.8
 8.2
Red Hot Chili Peppers Reviewed by: fleaslapking:), on november 25, 2005

Sound: This is the first Red Hot Chili Peppers album, it can be argued that it might have lost some of its potential spirit and enthusiasm as it is not the origional 4 members (Hillel and Jack left to do another project, so Jack Sherman stood in for lead guitar and Cliff Martinez on drums). I have given it a 7 because it still is an excellent debut album by any standards and the funk/metal that the band had set out to do in the first place was achieved very well. The best somgs on the album are: True Men Don'k Kill Cyotes, Get Up And Jump And Out In LA. The disc includes some cool demo tracks like Get Up And Jump, and What It Is. They are both awesome! // 7

Lyrics: I don't think I can possibly go through this section without mentioning track 10, You Always Sing The Same. Basically, this song is Anthony singing "You always sing, You always sing the, You always sing the same" to a groovy tune in th background. Overall, the lyrics are not that bad, but I think Keidis develops very well in the up and coming years to become a great vocal tallent. // 7

Overall Impression: If I could compare this to any other Chili's album it would be the Uplift Mofo Party Plan simple because they both are the Peppers at there rawest and they are possibly the best two albums before Blood Sugar Sex Magik. // 8

Red Hot Chili Peppers Reviewed by: Bat Country 69, on july 10, 2008

Sound: Overall I thought the album's sound was ok. This is the album where's Flea's bass sounds the best, like in True Men Don't Kill Coyotes and Get Up and Jump. However, I thought the production was very poor. Anthony's singing was not very interesting to listen to in several songs. The production sounded dry and uninteresting. However, there are some bright spots. Their funk sound is clearly evident in the songs True Men, Get Up and Jump and Police Helicopter. Meanwhile, I thought the song Mommy Where's Daddy is just strange. Overall this album could have been great but the production ruined it. // 6

Lyrics: Overall I liked most of the lyrics. Get Up and Jump has lyrics that just make you want to jump around the whole room. He tries to write meaningful songs such as Green Heaven, What It Is and Out in L.A. However on a couple of songs, lyrics are repeated over and over, and he didn't seem to try to hard on You Always Sing the Same and Mommy Where's Daddy. // 7

Overall Impression: I have to say this is my least favorite Chili Peppers album, not because it's bad, but because the other albums are better. I like Mother's Milk and Freaky Styley better than this one. There are a couple of good songs but the others are a waste of time and space. I liked that they started their very first album off with a powerful funk sound. // 6

Red Hot Chili Peppers Reviewed by: sl!nky, on december 17, 2008

Sound: If you ever wanted a big indication of what Punk-Funk was, then, this is the perfect album. Problem is the album's production is pretty dull, most songs lose lot of rumble and power and are very 'tinny'. The playing is pretty fast and hyper, except for a few tracks, and most riffs and licks are mainly based on grooves and jams rather than melodies. Flea's bass style shines through on this album (especially on tracks like "Get Up And Jump" and the solo in "Out In L.A") and if anyone's interested in slapping and popping then this album is good for inspiration. // 6

Lyrics: The lyrics are pretty much what you'd expect and generally have a rhythmic effect than anything. Kiedis' rapping fits the music perfectly, emphasizing the fast grooves and improvisation. As for Kiedis' actual vocal skill, it can't really be measured seeing as he only really raps on the album, but the rapping is awesome, the words will make you dance, swear to God. // 7

Overall Impression: This album could probably be considered vintage seeing as most people don't even know of it's existence, but it was a pretty decent start for RHCP way back in 1984. True men Don't Kill Coyotes, Get Up And Jump and Out In L.A are definitely the highlights because they are trademark RHCP. The album is very manic and enjoyable but the poor production ruins certain songs. Also, it's a guarantee that you probably won't listen to this album in whole rather listen to one song and then switch to Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Compared to the later stuff, this album isn't as good but will hold it's own. In any case, it is a must have for any huge RHCP fan. // 7

More Red Hot Chili Peppers reviews rating latest review