The Uplift Mofo Party Plan Review

red hot chili peppers: The Uplift Mofo Party Plan
Released: 1987
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Funk Metal
Chili Peppers created most of the imperfections in their world.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 8.8
 9.2
The Uplift Mofo Party Plan Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 27, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is brilliantly unique. After two rather disappointing albums from the Chilis and a little upheaval in the band's formation (both Hillel Slovak and Jack Irons were contractually barred from playing on the self-titled debut album because they were signed to a different label with a different band and Jack did not come back for 'Freaky Styley') the original foursome - Anthony Kiedis, Flea, Hillel Slovak and Jack Irons - got together to record their first and, sadly, last album together. The result was this - a very impressive album indeed. It's probably the Chilis album with the heaviest funk sound to date. Hillel Slovak was an awesome guitarist, Jack a great drummer and of course Flea is probably the best bassist in the world! Any Chilis fan (or indeed anyone who wants to listen to something very different to anything) should have this album - it was the first truly satisfying album that the Chilis released. // 10

Lyrics: Anthony's erotomania had not yet reached fever pitch (it did that on BloodSugarSexMagik) but he never wastes any time in throwing in a comment or two about the physical act of love "My landlady, she lives three houses away/And she claims that she can hear my baby screaming to me 'F--k me Anthony, Oh Anthony!'" he sings on Special Secret Song Inside. But a lot of the songs on this album have a clear message. Fight Like A Brave tells us that we must unite and fight for our freedom ("Fight like a brave/Don't be a slave"). Me And My Friends gives us an insight to how Anthony felt about his three band mates. The lyrics are not the best the band has produced but where the lyrics don't do it, the music does. Anthony goes into full rap-rock mode on this album and his funky voice fits in well with the funky, testosterone fuelled songs. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is one of my favourite albums by the Chilis because it has that heavy funk vibe that they have since moulded to perfection. At the time of this album, the band were quite overshadowed by their own genitalia and this album did not hit the mainstream much, but that doesn't mean it's not good - it is extremely. For any Chilis fan, it is an essential because you get to hear quite a different sound to the band on this and also you get to hear the guitarist that inspired to oh-so-brilliant John Frusciante (*bows to John*). It is the only album where the four original founding members are together and it is an album no Chilis fan should be without. // 10

The Uplift Mofo Party Plan Reviewed by: GrowingOnMe, on december 06, 2004

Sound: The Red Hot Chili Peppers today are a group of 4 sometimes crazy, sometimes sensible men in their 30's and 40's. This is the Red Hot Chili Peppers of yesterday! Funk-rock/guitar-rap are the genres of this album. It was made in 1987 and was the only album to include all of the original 4 members. Out of the less famous first 4 albums, as the 3rd this one is definetly the highlight! // 10

Lyrics: Anthony throws some grat lyrics out here but also uses some terrible ones too. The song Love Trilogy shows this in it's last 2 lines. Anthony has to be pretty skillfull to handle some of the fast rap-style lyrics on here although some of them could have been written by the yet-to-be-born Clara Balzary (Flea's daughter). // 6

Overall Impression: This is my personal favourite album by my favourite band. So yes, nothing else compares to me. The most impressive songs are probably Organic Anti-Beat Box Band and Fight Like A Brave. I love the riffs and funky bass. The solos are cool. I'm not really a keen rap fan. Of course I would buy it again if it went missing. I need it to keep my RHCP back catalogue complete. Plus it's their best album! // 10

The Uplift Mofo Party Plan Reviewed by: con job, on november 24, 2006

Sound: The Uplift Mofo Party Plan is one of the finest albums, possibly best after Blood Sugar Sex Magik. It defines perfectly what the Chilis are all about(or were about). Amazing funk riffs, outstanding solos and some of the best bass lines Flea has ever written, only really bettered by the bass playing on Mother's Milk. And Kiedis gives, in my opinion, one of his best vocal performances of his career. The '80s was not a succesful decade for the Chili's, but it's hard to imagine why. Although they practically invented their own music and there was barely a market for it then, looking back it was their golden age. A lot of so-called Chili Pepper "fans" will not have heard of any album before Californication, and they all themselves fans. Most hardcore fans favourites are pre-One Hot Minute, and Uplift is one of the best. Hillel Slovak (R.I.P) is on fire on this album, as are Flea and Jack Irons. Hillel was unique in the way he effortlessly made his guitar scream and howl. As for Flea, the riff in "Walkin On Down The Road." The sound is a lot more polished than the first two albums, and is truly a work of art. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics aren't a masterpiece, I've heard better from Kiedis, but "Love Trilogy" is an absolute masterpiece in lyric writing. "Skinny Sweaty Man" and "Organic Anti-Beat Box Band" are also lyrical highlights. Kiedis was at a stge where girls and problems of life weren't his inspiration for songwriting. He basically writes about his friends and life in Hollywood. // 8

Overall Impression: This really is a terrific album. The sound is a lot heavier than Freaky Styley, and has everything the Chilis lack nowadays, which is power, attitude, and ultra funky songs. This is ranked second best Chili Pepper album on my list (B.S.S.M being no.1). The best songs are "Fight Like A Brave", "Funky Crime", "Skinny Sweaty Man", "Walkin' On Down The Road" and "Organic Anti-Beat Box Band". I strongly recommend this to anyone wanting something much more raw and funkier then their new stuff. Excellent album. Hillel Slovak R.I.P. // 10

The Uplift Mofo Party Plan Reviewed by: SameOld, on september 12, 2008

Sound: Crank up the bass, man! Chalk full of funk and layered with drums that bounce back and forth is The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, 3rd album of L.A. chief musical export, the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Flea dominates the sound, beating and whipping his popping bass into submission on every track, it's really not hard to see how the man often left the stage with bleeding fingers in the Chili's early days, because the Australian bassist sounds as if he's making hard love to the instrument on blistering numbers like 'Backwoods' and 'Special Secret Song Inside'. Hillel Slovak, the original Chili's guitarist, returns here in full force. Sadly The Uplift Mofo Party Plan would be the last CD before his unfortunate death, good for us that he leaves on such a high not. Slovak's guitar playing is very minimalistic, often tacking a backseat to the bass, but if you listen closely it's very easy to see why John Frusciante revered him. He plays in and out, throws fills, fits the mood and slams back and forth with simply delicious riffs that make your ears perk for every pluck and strum. Truly a great sendoff for a great guitar player. Jack Irons also deserves mention, the drummer is solid as ever here, throwing down heavy tracks, that, while not as complex or versatile as the material contributed by Chad Smith, provide a very similar backbone to the songs, allowing Flea and Slovak to dance around gleefully. // 9

Lyrics: Anthony Kiedis was still developing lyrically and vocally here, but of the 80s Chili's The Uplift Mofo Party Plan is probably his best vocal performance. Not that Mother's Milk is any worse, but it's production values severely bog down Kiedis' funky rapping verses. The Uplift Mofo Party Plan provides direct contrast, perfect mixing allows Kiedis to send soothing rhymes flowing across the airy rhythm of 'Behind The Sun' or chant ferociously about the body party he loves the most in 'Special Secret Song Inside'. His lyrics are fairly simple, and often juvenile, but he has an obvious skill, forming great rhymes and maintain a consistent rhythm throughout, he even raps 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' and pulls it off with ease. // 7

Overall Impression: Great place to start your Chili's experience. Not the most technical record, but that's not what you listen for - it's the energy, which is undeniable here. Everyone is having an awesome time, and it really shows. 'Fight Like A Brave', 'Backwoods', 'Organic Anti-Beat Box Band' and 'Special Secret Song Inside' are some of the best off the CD. A must buy for any Chili's fan. // 8

The Uplift Mofo Party Plan Reviewed by: fleabass, on july 05, 2006

Sound: This is the Red Hot Chili Peppers third album, following the funky George Clinton produced "Freaky Styley". After Freaky Styley, drummer Cliff Martinez was kicked from the band, and original drummer Jack Irons returned to the band. Now the band was back to its original line up with Anthony singing, Flea on bass, Hillel on guitar and Jack on drums. The Uplift Mofo Party Plan saw them move in a slightly more punk and rock direction, but still not losing the funky edge that made them different from other bands at this time. This album was produced by Michael Beinhorn. The album opener "Fight Like a Brave" is a brisk, moving rock anthem, with its slap bass breakdown and fiery guitar solo. On this album Hillel started to experiment with lead breaks a bit more than on Freaky Styley, and for those of you who believe that the guitar solo is an essential part of a song, this album will be to your liking. Standout songs are "Backwoods", "Me & my friends", "Love Trilogy", "Organic Anti Beat Box Band", and a personal favourite for me would be Anthony's ode to Hillel "Skinny Sweaty Man". Hillel's tone on this album stands out aswell. He is often using a valve type distortion that has just the right amount of gain to make all notes hearable, while still retaining its hard edge. Flea's bass playing is as always immaculate, and his slap pop playing is solid as usual. While Jack Irons did not have the ability to play the experimental avant-garde beats that Cliff played on Freaky Styley, he is more than a competent drummer, holding the band together as solid as a metronome. While Freaky Styley was a promising album, The Uplift Mofo Party Plan shows a band that are comfortable with each other and able to create muscular, driving songs. // 9

Lyrics: Anthony has again progressed with his lyrics on this album. On Fight Like a Brave he explores the idea not to be controlled by those in power. In Backwoods he explores the roots of rock and roll. He wrote No Chump Love Sucker for Hillel, as Hillel's girlfriend had left him for a guy with lots of money, and this song is a warning about the possessive, materialistic type of woman. Some have criticised the lyrics on "Love Trilogy", but personally I think they are great, mixing thoughts and feelings in a stream of wordology. Flea has said of it that if you want to listen to what lyrics should be; listen to "Love Trilogy", as it proves that something does not necessarily have to be perfect in order to be beautiful. Kiedis' voice hasn't really improved since the last album, as he was still a heavy user of drugs at this point. // 8

Overall Impression: I really like this album, and I think it should a promising streak of things to come. This was because the original line up who were comfortable with each other, so there was little tension in the studio or when writing songs. If it were stolen or lost I would definitely buy it again. We get a peek at what would have been if Hillel Slovak was still around today, as I think his guitar playing was about to make the leap from good to extraordinary. Sadly, he died shortly after the tour for this album, from a heroin overdose. It was a sad shame, as many people in the industry (Perry Farrell) respected him both as a guitar player and as a person. My dad was lucky enough to meet him (he works for EMI) and said he was full of life and charisma, and was a beautiful person. It was a sad loss to music. // 9

The Uplift Mofo Party Plan Reviewed by: Ucoldchili, on april 02, 2007

Sound: This is one of the greatest Chili's album there is. It's probabbly because it's the only album of their's with the 'traditional four' all of which are under the influence of drugs around this time, making it very interesting. Hilel Slovak would die shortly after the release of this, introducing the world to Chad Smith and John Frusciante. Thee overall sound of this album is a mixture between their roots, funk, and an introduction to a heavier rock addition (noticable in songs like Me And My Friends). This is also a very unique album as there is not another album of theirs sounding much like this at all. Overall I would say this is a fantastic album. // 10

Lyrics: At this stage of his career, Anthony's vocal skills are not completely developed, and his lyrics are out of control. But this fits well with what's going on with the Chili's at the time. Anthony boasts of his Sex in 'Party On Your Pussy', and gives a biography of the band in 'Anti-organic Beat Box Band'. Songs like 'Me and My Friends' are just the classic LA Rock kind of lyrics about getting laid wasted and making music all at once. Overall I think suitable voocal work by Anthony for the album. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a great album, particularly as there are very few albums like it in the world, and it is also one of the most unique Chili's albums. Hilel may be on the verge of death but his guitar work is still funky shit, and Jack's drumming is very supportive to the overall sound. Flea is, well, Flea, the best bassist in the world no doubt, and Anthony just has fun with his vocals and all together, you have a fantastic album. Good work guys! // 9

More Red Hot Chili Peppers reviews rating latest review