Cheer Up! Review

reel big fish: Cheer Up!
Released: Jul 2002
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop, Ska-Punk
True, it doesn't capture the zeitgeist like their debut, but there's more character here, and it's more consistent, too.
 Lyrics: 8.7
 9.4
 9.5
 9.3
Cheer Up! Reviewed by: Flowerpot, on may 22, 2004

Sound: Reel Big Fish are probably the most well known of all modern punk-ska bands, and they really have an excellent sound. Their latest album, Cheer Up, has more of a punk/emo sound to it than their earlier stuff, which may not appeal to the more hardcore ska fans. Having said this some of the really catchy and best songs are the emo ones, such as 'Where have you been?', 'Good Thing' and 'Drunk Again'. The ska ones are faster than ever and still have that unique Reel Big Fish sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are memorable and fun. They often rhyme and are quite funny in places, as well as sometimes reflective and profound. Aaron Barett, lead singer, carries all singing off very well, he has an excellent voice which really comes through on tracks such as 'Drunk Again'. // 8

Overall Impression: Reel Big Fish are a great band and have a lot to offer. Their fun sound is great to listen to, although this album would have benefited from songs with more of a horn section sound. If I lost this album I would be heartbroken because it is excellent and really picks you up when you feel down. Ska is the most underrated of genres, go and buy this! You get eighteen tracks for your money plus a great secret track! // 10

Cheer Up! Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 09, 2004

Sound: I thimk that their sound is like a madly skilled trumpeter and a wicked rock n' roll guitar playimg punk-fast rock music. Also you don't get bored with the same singer they switch between two insanely good voices. // 10

Lyrics: They have two different singers and they both are wicked good at high and low pitches witch are placed at the right times in the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: It is alot like the rxbandits in the good sense if you like them and I would definitly buy it again and my favorite songs are Brand New Hero and Ban The Tub Top. // 10

Cheer Up! Reviewed by: DisgruntledDuck, on december 03, 2004

Sound: Reel Big Fish, in my opinion, are a sorely under-rated group of genuinely talented musicians, who manage to sucessfully fuse together a wide genre of music, and make songs which are catchy to listen to, and yet still sound unique. The frontman/main guitarist Aaron writes catchy hooks, and unlike most guitar players in his genre, can pull off a few tasty lead guitar licks. "Rock n Roll is Bitchin'" - despite being a cheap shot at stadium rock, still comes off as a good song, mainly because of Aaron's lead guitar work. The brass section is used less in this album than some of Reel Big Fish's other albums (more emphasis has been put on writing memorable melodies), but when they are used, really help to give their material an edge. To describe Reel Big Fish's sound, think of a mix of Pop, Punk, Rock, Ska and Reggae. Key songs on this album-although I thoroughly enjoy them all-are the single "Where Have You Been", "Brand New Hero", the title track "Cheer Up", and my favourite song, the reggae-esque, up-beat sound of "What Are Friends For". // 10

Lyrics: The use of two vocalists helps to keep the album interesting at all times, and both vocalists are more than capable singers. The harmonies sound sweet between both singers, and the melodies are well written-if not a little predictable at times. The lyrics on this album are sound, not ground breaking, but are above average in their genre. The joke songs are mildly amusing, and help to deliver a more serious album to a wider audience, as well as showing off their funnier aspects of their personalities. The main themes of this album-as far as I can tell-are bitterness to do with love and friendship. Although these themes have been touched on previously by far too many bands, Reel Big Fish still manage to deliver their songs and keep them fresh. // 8

Overall Impression: This has to be one of my favourite albums at the moment, and probably will be for a while. As I previously said, Reel Big Fish are an under-rated band, and possibly one of the best bands in their genre of music. Although some of the album is predictable, and less brass is used, Reel Big Fish have made a genuinely good album, and I wait with great anticipation for their next delivery. Lets see if they can top "Cheer Up". // 10

More Reel Big Fish reviews rating latest review