Far Review

9.3
 8.7
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Far Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 24, 2009

Sound: This is a great album to define Regina Spektor's sound. You can definitely hear the honest anti-folk tone in the songs. Also, the unique sound of her deeper side of indie pop. Her piano really seems to speak out loud. 01.The Calculation: a positive start that's relaxed and easy-going. Sort of like Fidelity. 02.Eet: bittersweet tone that really matches the lyrical theme. 03.Blue Lips: the back-up instruments are strong and catchy with dramatic piano. 04.Folding Chair: this song is the most rock-sounding. Best part is the "oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!" 05.Machine: dreamy piano with creative percussion, especially at the beginning. 06.Laughing With: simple, honest piano chords with beautiful violin and the most truthful lyrics ever written. 07.Human of the Year: darkest sounding song. With the chorus as the exception. 08.Two Birds: this song is most related to Kate Nash. 09.Dance Anthem of the 80's: this song is a little too poppish and stupid for me, but it's a fun song. 10.Genius Next Door: very legato and smoothly flowing. 11.The Wallet: pretty short but isn't too repetitive for a short song. 12.One More Time With Feeling: borderline smooth jazz! 13.Man Of A Thousand Faces: sounds like the same piano riff throughout with the back-up revolving around it. // 10

Lyrics: Since I said this was a great warm-up album, I think I will describe her general singing skills. She has a strong hold on her vocal ranges, and she sings in a very advanced way. Also, she uses very unorthodox techniques at times, which is very badass and individual of her. The skills she has and her alterations makes it a perfect 10. Her lyrical themes are extremely obscure lot of times. Sometimes the obscurity makes it sound interesting. But sometimes it sound too over-the-top. For hardcore Regina fans, I'm sorry. But you know it's true. (Example: Ya we so cool, we so cool, c'mon daddy!) When her lyrics are not obscure, they're honest and are filled with witty lines. I really like that. So overall, I give her lyric writing an 8. 8 & 10 evens out to 9. So woo-hoo! Her best songs lyrically on the album are Laughing With, Eet, Genius Next Door, and One More Time With Feeling. // 9

Overall Impression: This isn't an album where the single stands out and the other songs merely exist. (BTW, the single is Laughing With.) It's a euphonious, foot-tapping, friendly album that defines Regina's overall music. She isn't a mainstream music act, but she will be notable to piano rock history sooner or later. If you like this album, I think you'd love Tori Amos, Evanescence, Kate Nash, and Kimya Dawson. // 9

More Regina Spektor reviews rating latest review