Apathetic [EP] Review

relient k: Apathetic [EP]
Release Date: Nov 8, 2005
Label: Capitol
Genres: Alternative CCM, Punk-Pop
This is a mid-tour buzz sustainer that includes an acoustic version of the single "Be My Escape" and six other tracks.
 Lyrics: 8.8
Apathetic [EP] Reviewed by: Claymation99, on november 11, 2005

Sound: The sound is somewhat similar to the tracks on Mmhmm, but it sounds like Relient K is maturing even more than they already have. It has 4 brand new songs and 3 acoustic covers. Every track on the album is really good and worth listening to. This album is carried a lot by Thiessen on the piano. It ends up working out really well. "The Truth" is the opener and it's kinda like "Who I Am Hates Who I've Been." It has a lot of the piano along with some good guitar that doesn't take your attention away from the lyrics. Apathetic Way To Be is more of an upbeat song like "High Of 75." Not too fast, not too slow, with somewhat of an emphasis on the guitar. The acoustic covers are "Be My Escape," "Which To Bury; Us Or The Hatchet?" and "Over Thinking" from their last album Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, But Three Do. Although the acoustics are a nice change of pace, it's not really what Relient K does best. But I do have to say, the new "Over Thinking" is 10 times better than the old one. "In Like A Lion" is a song that is too good for Two Lefts, but not good enough for Mmhmm. The last song "The Theif" is completely piano and is unlike anything they have done in the past. // 9

Lyrics: With the exception of "Apathetic Way To Be," these lryics are not the usual Thiessen. He has really let go of his clever teenage side and gotten serious. The better songs on here focus on loss, and asking God for help. I think that some of these lyrics are better than the ones on Mmhmm. // 10

Overall Impression: After everyone listens to this EP, many will say "Oh man, this song should've been on the album." Wrong. These songs were either not good enough to make Mmhmm, or too good. This will be a connection between their last album, and their next. If they had put the four new songs on Mmhmm it would have had too many songs. Also the good songs would not have gotten the attention they truly deserve. Even though Mmhmm only came out a year ago, after this I'm already waiting for their next one to come out. So go out and buy this because for those who are fans, and for those who aren't, this will not dissapoint. // 10

Apathetic [EP] Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on april 03, 2006

Sound: Awesome sound. I've never heard anything like it. I'm not a punk afficionado, and I wasn't too sure in the beginning. However, I'm incredibly critical, and it is amazing. The perfect mix of pop, rock, religion, and punk. // 8

Lyrics: For a modern rock band, awesome vocals. The lyrics fit well with the music. The lyrics are meaningful, with a cryptic quality, yet, still easy to understand. The lyrics go deeper than literal meaning. // 7

Overall Impression: I love the acoustic versions of their previous songs. "Who To Bury, Us Or The Hatchet?" is a great acoustic song. I admit, the vocals are a might weak on that one. The instrumental work makes up for that though. I love the new songs, plus the acoustic revisitation. I hate the fact that it's an in-betweener album, so it's so short. How sad. Short, but sweet as a 50 lb. bag of pure sugar. This band, this album, could wipe out some of the screaming, swearing, nasty punk bands of today. Amen to clean music! Yeah, if it were lost or stolen five times in a row, I'd still go get it again. It'd be good for prison after I strangle the idiot that stole it from me five times in the first place. It's a few dollars. Of course I'd get it again. I'd get this again before I'd get half of my current library (over 100 albums) if it were stolen. // 10

Apathetic [EP] Reviewed by: Red Martini, on may 09, 2006

Sound: The sound of this CD is very amazing and I cannot get enough of this CD. It's so soft and the piano is a very good mix with the other guitars. The style of this CD is very calming and good listen to. I always listen to it and the accoustic versions of some of the pre-recorded songs are very cool. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Theissen is an amazing song writer/artist because he knows how to write songs and match it to the music. And for the band, my hat is off for your guitarists, drummer, and bassist. The vocals are very well done and Matt Thiessen never misses a beat he knows how to lead the band. // 9

Overall Impression: This album does not compare to any other albums because it so brings down the house and with the accoustic versions, it really shows how hard they work on all of their work. The most impressice song on this album has to be "In Like A Lion (Always Winter)." I really think that Relient K has really matured with Apathetic EP and MmHmm. If this CD was stolen I would deffenitely buy I new one. I think that Relient K is very under rated and I believe that they will soon break through. // 10

Apathetic [EP] Reviewed by: aquaknight3, on august 03, 2006

Sound: I do like the sound of the new songs on here, but the remixes of the other 3 songs just didn't really click with me. He can't seem to hit any of the higher notes anymore and so he sings an octave lower than the originals and it's just not as good as the others, but other than that, I do like this EP. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are great as always, and of course the acoustic songs have the same lyrics as the originals and those are still good but I think I have to give this a 9 because he seems to have lost some singing skills that he shows in previous albums, but I'm not blaming him, maybe it's just a natural thing that's happening, but it's just not as good as before. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this is great for a few listens and stuff, but if I lost it, I probably would not buy it again. It's not awesome like their other albums. If you had to choose between this and another one, I would probably tell you to go with the other one. But if you wanted to hear some new stuff, then go for it, it's not awesome, but it's not bad either. // 9

Apathetic [EP] Reviewed by: cake777, on january 05, 2008

Sound: Okay, pretty much half of the EP features some songs they had for a while in acoustic form. I gotta say, they do it so beautiful. It's not like what you would expect from many pop punk bands out there doing acoustic songs. I mean with all the complex riffs and plus nice drums added. They really redefined acoustic music in the pop punk world. The EP also has some pretty sweet songs that doens't really sound like the "Mmhmm" album they relased before this. I mean, the songs aren't so complicated, they did them really smooth, like no weird ways to end a song, and the songs really progress well. One song, "The Theif" is actually a song of Matt Theissen's side project, Matt Theissen and the Earthquakes. Anywho, the songs on the EP are actually pretty good that you, the listener, might hate it that this EP has only seven (7) songs. But hey, it's an EP. That's the only down-side to the CD. // 8

Lyrics: If you have listened to Relient K before, then you may have noticed that almost every song has a happy thing going on. Yes, the lyrics are just great. I mean, "Apathetic Way To Be" is a very optimistic song. I mean, not everyone can really see apathy as a good thing - or even use it wisely. Well, the acoustic version of some songs they have on the EP are still the same, but they did cut out the ending of "Which To Bury; Us Or The Hatchet." I also notice something, Theissen's song writing has gotten more mature, I guess I can say it lik that. Yes, mature. I mean, there's not at least one silly song on this CD. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one CD that might change the pop punk world, but it may not. It's still okay. It's just that they do acoustic songs like they're not a pop punk band. Also, a lot of the songs are just beautiful. I mean, if you heard the original version of, "Which To Bury" then you might say that Theissen can't sing so good, but his vocals are just great on the acoustic version. And like I said before, the only thing I'm just upset about the CD is, well, it's an EP. So, it basically contains so little songs. Not much goodness, huh. Well, overall of this. Apathetic EP is an awesome CD, that if it got lost I would be so devistated, and plus I would try buying another one. Well, if it was stolen, then I would try to catch the theif and retrive it back. // 10

More Relient K reviews rating latest review