Five Score And Seven Years Ago Review

relient k: Five Score And Seven Years Ago
Release Date: Mar 6, 2007
Label: Gotee
Genres: Rock
Relient K's fifth CD is a diverse modern rock album that's so varied at times it sounds like a mix tape.
 Lyrics: 9.6
 9.4
 9.4
 9.3
Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: takenthecannoli, on june 02, 2008

Sound: Relient K is yet another artist I found out about on the radio. I heard "Be My Escape" and "High of 75" from their previous album and decided to take a look. However, the delay was long enough to let them release another album, 'Five Score and Seven Years Ago'. This album uses a wide variety of instruments to compliment their unique sound. These instruments include, of course, guitar, bass guitar, and drums, but also piano, xylophone (I hope I spelled that right) and banjo (though I belive that's in the live version of "Faking My Own Suicide" and many others. And, of course, the Christian Punk sound that RK have established previously. Excellent job--one of the best albums of the year. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are very good, compared to RK's earliar work. The lyrics from "I Need You" and "Devastation and Reform" are deep, meaningful, and pleading, whilst "The Best Thing" is rejoyceful. "Deathbed" is doubtlessly the best of the album, an epic telling of an old man's regrets and eventual salvation during death. Matt's singing skills are superb. // 9

Overall Impression: Five Score and Seven Years Ago is really an excellent album - probably the best RK record yet. The best. I can't lie - even MmHmm (2005) doesn't surpass "FSASYA". The best songs are unddoubtedly "I Need You," "Devastation and Reform," "The Best Thing," and "Deathbed." I love the diversity and sheer emotion that RK displays with this release. There isn't much that I dislike about it, other than the fact that there aren't more tracks! If it were stolen/lost/etc, I would definitely replace it. Very, very, very nicely done, RK. 9/10 for an excellent album. // 9

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: ashowe, on march 23, 2007

Sound: This band has come a long way since they put out their self-titled debut CD. That CD wasn't bad, it just doesn't have the polish that the newer music has. "Five Score and Seven Years Ago" has the ovbious radio sheen of a major-label release produced by Howard Benson, which isn't surprising, because that's what this album is. The album is their most diverse to date, with the acapella opener "Plead The Fifth", the Norma Jean-esque intro to "I Need You", the back porch country-folk of "Faking My Own Suicide" and the sprawling, 11-minute epic closer "Deathbed". This album is good particularly for those who enjoy Weezer, Beach Boys, or All-American Rejects. // 10

Lyrics: Relient K have always written very witty, self-aware lyrics. For those who enjoy lyrics about mythical dragons and wizards, this isn't your album. The topics range from Jesus to women to friendship to being alone in the world. This seems to be the first album on which Matthew Theissen has exercised his vocabulary in a way that truly serves the song, too. He sings with a subdued passion that you don't typically encounter in today's nasally-fixated punk scene. The lyrics fit the music part by part and never disappoint. // 10

Overall Impression: Of their peers in the pop-punk and Christian scenes, Releint K compares quite favorably with bands like (+44), Fall Out Boy, All-American Rejects, and with Christian artists such as Hawk Nelson, Stellar Kart and Switchfoot (whose singer, Jon Foreman, guests on "Five Score"'s closer, "Deathbed"). I find the most impressive songs are the songs where Relient K flexed their collective creative muscle and reached for something they hadn't tried before. Songs like "Deathbed", "Bite My Tongue", "Give", "Forgiven" and "Faking My Own Suicide" are the best ones, in my humble opinion. The only thing I hated was that it didn't have more songs! If it were stolen I would buy 2 more copies, so that if it were stolen again, I wouldn't have to go to the store a third time. This album kicks the average Good Charlotte/Simple Plan disc in the teeth! My favorite of 2007! // 10

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: fret13, on march 22, 2007

Sound: Relient K is, probably the most well known Christian punk bands of our time. This is their fifth major release (hence: Five Score And Seven Years Ago) and also is named because instead of "Four Score and Seven Years Ago" part of a speech by Abraham Lincoln meaning 27 years ago (I think it was 27, I suck at history) anyways, it's "Five Score" now. Now taht were done with history class Relient K has always put out a show with their cds. everyone has somewhat of a story or a different meaning to it. This one is not as Piano-ish as Mmhmm but has the same poppy beats and melodies to it going for 15 tracks. The first song, Plead the Fifth, has a little story in it about a guy stepping up in a trial against a guy named Mr. Booth, who apparently committed a murder. I don't think this story goes on throughout the album though but I guess you could always be creative and make your own story about Mr. Booth's trial using the songs on the album. The first single off the new album, Must have Done Something Right, has put all there poppy talent into one song. It's not a perfect song but you can't help singing along once you know the lyrics. Relient K also finds unique ways to sneak instruments in like in Faking My Own Suicide, which has country based instruments instead of guitars but still maintains the pop-punk and brilliant lyrics just like the rest of the Cd. the last song goes through a mans life right before he dies, Deathbed, and, what I like about it, is that it's a anti-smoking song. it goes through the life(well, more of a death) of a guy back in the 40's to about now and how he dies and remembers how he was a jerk all his life and started smoking and how when he started dying, he called for God and God came to him with open arms. // 10

Lyrics: Relient K weaves in their lyrics like, well, something remarkable weaving through, or something. In other words, the lyrics are wonderful. Matthew Thiessen can definitely write a song with the perfect lyrics just about every time. Through out the entire CD the rhymes and beat and the lyrics go hand in hand going through songs like Bite My Tongue and Come Right Out and Say It where they keep the tune but put lyrics that don't go off topic and fit right into the song. By far, they have put the best lyrics in a CD that I have yet. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a really great album, and usually I give an entire album a ten only when I'm still getting used to it but I really have to say that what I like about Relient K and this album is that they did something other bands haven't been doing lately, and that is being yourself! They didn't change anything and that's why it's so good! because all the bands today are talking about how much their new CD is different and how they are changing for it. Change isnt always good and thank God Relient K didn't change because this album is amazing because they didn't. // 10

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: goobrocker, on march 22, 2007

Sound: The follow up to 2004's CD "Mmhmm", Relient K's newest release "Five Score And Seven Years Ago" proves to be worth the wait. The alternative rock/ christian band have once again provided a breath of fresh air to the 'emo' heavy industry. This album takes off exactly where "Mmhmm" left off, and keeps you hooked throughout the whole album, finishing off with a trademark 10+ minute ballad. This is a very solid album containing your standard 3 chord progression songs, as well as a variety of sounds ranging form an acappella opening in "Pleading The Fifth", to folk/country-esque "Faking My Own Suicide", to a very Underoath inspired opening to the song "I Need You". Other stand out songs include "Must Have Done Something Right", "Bite My Tounge", and the 10 minute epic "Deathbed." // 8

Lyrics: While their sound is nothing special, Relient K's lyrics are what separate them from the rest of the pack. Any longtime fan of Relient K will find themselves right at home trying to disect Matt's intricate yet simple way of phrasing his lyrics. Matt has a clever way of conveying his emotions and personal experiences in a way that is easily accessible to the average listener, yet also appealing to the avid fan as well. The lyrics talk mostly about relationships. Matt talks about good ones, like in their single "must have done something right". However, "Come out and say it", talks about wanting to know the truth in a crumbling relationship. The album, like past works is open to interpretation whether he is talking about a girl or God, and the two can be switched quite easily. Their quirkiness can also be found on the track "Crayons can melt on us for all I care", and their single "must have done something right". The lyrics are very appealing and will connect with the target audience (high school-college) quite well. The lyirical highlight of the album is their closing song "deathbed". It tells the story of a man who grows up, battles addiction, gets both married and divorced, and finds God in the end. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the most uplifting album of their previous releases. While it doesn't contain the goofy lyrics found on "two lefts don't make a right..." it does however make up for this with lyrics that show Matt's ever increasing maturity and ability to write great lyrics. Musicaly, the album's sound is solid, with enough variation to keep the average listener engaged. The positives about this album is that it is contains very positive lyrics, which are a rare thing in today's world. The only downside would be that the sound is nothing new, and can be quite redundant when compared to most other alternative rock albums. // 9

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: genghiskahn87, on march 22, 2007

Sound: Relient K's fifth album in seven years (hence the name) is yet another stellar work of art. This record is much happier sounding than many of their previous records. Though parts of the record still echo some of the harder and darker material of Mmhmm. They seem to have grown even more fond of the complex beach boys style harmonies as well, as seen in the a'cappella opening track. as the album progresses, you come across driving, and hard hitting songs, and poppy upbeat songs as well. There is even a number with a definite country influence. The albums songs alternate between styles frequently to great effect through most of the album. The last song of the record, Deathbed, is essentialy a mini, 11 minuet rock opera from the pont of view of a dying cancer patiet, and has a strong classical influence for most of it. The lead singer, Matt Thiessen, also plays nine different instruments for this song, including a full brass choir. In all, the record is another huge step forward for the band. // 9

Lyrics: As always, Relient K never fails to impress when it comes to lyrics. Witty and sarcastic as ever, many of the songs, other than the usual hard hitters, are upbeat and about love. This is a step in a new direction for the band. The lyrics always fit with the music though, and Thiessen has excellent diction, leaving the lyric booklet that came with the CD mostly unused. // 10

Overall Impression: Over all, this album has surpassed my expectations, which were pretty high, and has become my favorite Relient K record, and ranks with my all time favorites as well. Songs to definitley check out are Deathbed, Faking My Own Suicide, Must Have Done Something Right, and Bite My Tounge. // 10

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: FullLife, on june 25, 2007

Sound: Relient K gets more diverse in their latest CD. "Five Score..." has a country/backwoods song called "Faking My Own Suicide". Deathbed (featuring guest vocalist Jon Foreman from Switchfoot) is a sad, slow song. Personally, I liked their fast-paced rock songs. All-in-All, almost everything fell right into place. // 9

Lyrics: Relient K is growing up. The lyrics are usually serious and meaningful. But they still have that sense of humor we all know and love. In "Crayons Can Melt On Us For All I Care" Matt basicly wastes ten seconds of our lives. The 11 minute closer "Deathbed" tells a story of one mans less than perfect life, but how he is forgiven when it's time to go. They have a lot of love songs on this CD (everyone but lead singer, Matt, is married) and with most of them you can relate with your special someone. Others tell of how it can be hard to learn from mistakes, "Devastation and Reform", and how to give your life, "Give". I listen to this CD every day and it never gets old. // 10

Overall Impression: Switchfoot used to be my favorite band, bar none. But after this album Relient K is my number one now. Music and Lyrics were made for eachother. I got the dual disk which features an acoustic live recording session at Capitol Records Studio B (Sloop John B, Give, Who I am Hates Who I've Been, I So Hate Consequences, Devastation and Reform, Faking My Own Suicide), behind the scenes of the making of the music video for "Must Have Done Something Right", and the video for it. Plus inteviews and stuff. My advice, for about 5$ more, GET IT. I don't regret it at all. // 10

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: Thelp, on march 22, 2007

Sound: The sound in this album has evolved above their previous ablums. While still maintaining their pop-punk image they have experimented with some rock styles that are easily identifiable. I wouldn't call this their best album, but as far as ound goes their sound has definately matured. Keys were used more in this album compared to the previous albums and it's a needed touch in some areas but it is borderline overused. They even experiment with a country style track with Faking My Own Suicide. As far as influences the other bands that can be identified as influences are the Chili Peppers (Devestation and Reform), Blink 182 (The Best Thing), Snow Patrol (Give), Ben Folds (Deathbed), and Angels & Airwaves (Bite My Tongue). Overall Relient K made a good album and it's very diverse, but it doesn't have that sound I've come to expect from them. // 7

Lyrics: As always, Relient K's vocals have a very defining sound. Nearly the entire album is about "the girl" in some way shape or form. Usually Relient K has only included a few tracks about this subject but it is the entire subject on this album. Not that talking about relationships is a bad thing, but it is not what Relient K has typically done in the past. Other reviews have claimed that this is an obvious step of maturing for the band and I agree on this point. // 8

Overall Impression: I still prefer the previous albums but tracks such as Bite My Tongue and Come Right Out and Say It make this album a worthwhile buy. Their current single "Must have Done Something Right" isn't the best track on the album. I dislike how it is a major step away from their previous albums but I appreciate the experimenting with different sounds. Hopefully their next album will be a little more defined and not so focused on the cliche girl issue. Though this isn't my favorite album, I would def. buy this album again if it were lost. // 8

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: aquaknight3, on july 14, 2007

Sound: The sound of this album is nothing short of amazing. The band has brought so much variety into their songs here that they almost don't fit; yet they do. They start it off with a song composed entirely of many voice parts. They have songs like "Faking My Own Suicide" that have a kind of country twang to it, "Must Have Done Something Right" has an energetic, happy-clappy feel to it, "I Need You" has a harder rock feel to it than any of the others, and the list goes on. But to top it all off, "Deathbed" combines it all in one 11-minute masterpiece. Great job on another well done album, RK. // 10

Lyrics: As always, his lyrics of this album get across whatever message he wants to convey and does it well. And also, as always, he adds the goofy "Crayons can melt on us for all I care" as his RK signature move to put something in an album that has nothing what'soever to do with anything else. oh, singer skills? Never been better. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd definitely buy this album again. music at it's best. I'm not sure they'll be able to top "Two Lefts Don't Make A Right, But Three Do," but this is pretty close. Every song is great in it's own individual way, and I can't really find anything bad to say about it. If you like Relient k, this is a must-buy. if you don't like Relient k, then you probably disagree. All I have to say is that that's your loss. // 10

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: causomeguy35, on july 20, 2007

Sound: Relient K's sound is just awesome! They got some pretty cool guitars, good bass, and an awesome drummer. Also, Matt Thiessen, the vocalist, has an awesome voice where he cango really high which makes it funny at concerts when people try to do it. I'm a songwriter and from their sound I get a lot of inspiration. This christian pop punk band is an awesome choice of music. I think that you'll probably like most of the songs on here cause of the sound and because they're Relient K! Do you need any other reason? // 9

Lyrics: Don't even get me started on the lyrics. Matt Thiessen you rock. If you take time to listen to lyrics in a song like me then you'll hear the awesome lyric styles of Relient K in this CD. For christian fans a few of the songs provide a message that christians can relate to with I Need You saying that he just needs God in his life. Or with Forgiven once again for christian fans. For just a regular old fan, they have awesome lyrics that people can relate to like in Bite My Tongue he's saying that he just needs to shut his mouth and not say anything. Or in Must Have Done Something Right it's saying how his gf(or it's about god) has made him a better person all around. And in Crayons Can Melt On Us For All I Care he has fun with a 10 second song saying "I just wasted 10 seconds of your life" proving they have a sense of humor. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is awesome! Although it has a few songs that people won't listen to all the way cause of the beginning it's an awesome CD. I recommend the songs Bite My Tounge and I Need You cause they're so awesome. I recommend this CD to ant Relient K fan or someone looking for something new. Enjoy Relient K's Five Score and Seven Years ago. // 9

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: Vindicated00, on october 06, 2007

Sound: This is an album from a more mature (musically) Relient K. The sound of this album is quite different from the rest of their albums. While sum bands grow and change for the worse, Relient K has changed in a good way. They have experienced with tons more instruments and nailed every one of them. The guitars are great, drums are awesome as always, and the harmonies are good too. The sound of this album differs a lot from their previous ones. Mmmhmm was most like this album, not as punk as the other ones. But the best part of the album is how Matt's piano is very clear in almost all the songs. I think that Matt's voice sounds best with piano behind it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album were, as always, awesome. Matt Thiessen is one of my Hero because of his amazing nack for writing lyrics. There has been many comments on how Relient K may not be a "Christian" band anymore, but I don't think that for a second. The lyrics in basically all the songs are christian, but can also be construne as written for a girl. Matt has an amazing voice and awesome lyrics to make for a great album // 10

Overall Impression: The only thing I miss about Relient K is Brian Pittman. His bass made most of the songs on their old albums, because it sounded so awesome. I'm happy with the two new Johns they fit really well, but at times I do miss the old Anatomy, sound. Every song on this album was a hit, especially Deathbed which is now one of my fav Relient songs ever // 10

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: lonebassist13, on january 10, 2008

Sound: When Brian Pitmann quit the band in '04 I had my doubts about MMHMM, but the remaing three proved themselves by making yet another number one. Although they now lack the awesome, speedy riffs of Pitmann Relient still manages to rock! The sound of Five score is a lot like the previous album with the exception that Matt T. is now able to play piano and other instruments because they now have two guitarists and a bassist. This adds a happier tone in some songs, like Faking my own suicide while ading to the drama of songs like deathbed, and I Need You. John what's his face, the new bassists delivers some great bass riffs in Must have Done Something right and in I need You, while Dave's drums carry every single song. Relient K's sound has changed a lot since '00 and it's become very aparrent that these guys are here to stay (at least for a while). // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics have definately improved over the years. Matt isn't really a pro at singing but he does a good job with his style of music. With Dave D. and Matt H. The words themselves deliver a powerful message in the few meaningful songs on the album, but also manage to be very amusing in Faking My own Suicide, and Crayons can melt on all of us. The delivery is sometimes a little unorthedox but the message is loud and clear. // 9

Overall Impression: All though not quite as phenomenal as The Anatomy- Five Score is a decent CD. I belive the three best songs on this CD are: I Need You, Taking You With Me, and The Best Thing, though keep in mind that's just my opinion. I liked the way each song blends with the next and how the words of each songs kind of built on each other. I would give this CD a 9 overall. // 10

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: Bradyisamerika, on september 24, 2009

Sound: Five Score And Seven Years Ago....great album! I listened, and I was pretty impressed. It was a new sound for Relient K, or maybe its just me. They have a mix of slow and upbeat that really gets your attention. I give it about a 9 out of 10. Relient K is a pretty good acoustic/post punk/christian band. I highly recommend them if you have a good sense of humor and a taste for mellow music. // 9

Lyrics: I was very impressed with this album lyric-wise, Relient K is a very diverse compilation of lyrics, some making sense, and a few not making any sense at all! Most songs were deep, and the others were amusingThey have a great relaxing vibe to them. I give lyrics a 10 out of 10. Really good singing by Matt too. The overall impression of the lyrics range from upbeat to slow acoustic. They can really grab you and pull you in, and you'll find yourself addicted soon. I can promise you that. // 10

Overall Impression: Relient K is a great contemporary post punk/christian pop band. The most impressive songs on this album would have to be Deathbed and Devestation And Reform. I love the upbeat vibe in Relient K. They can really pull you in and you can easily get addicted. There isnt much I don't like about this album. All of it sounds great. If you happen to lose this album, and you haven't downloaded it already, BUY IT AGAIN. It has to be one of the best from Relient K, I highly recommend purchasing this album! // 10

Five Score And Seven Years Ago Reviewed by: nickjlunn, on december 25, 2009

Sound: The sound on this album is great. They used many different instruments, especially in "Deathbed", and the harmony is fantastic. The guitars really brought feeling to the songs and helped shape them. The drum beats were great also, he is really good. Too bad he left. Relient K had a mix of styles in this album. Anywhere from Rock and Roll in "I Need You" to A Capella in "Pleading the Fifth (A Capella)" to a mix of things in "Deathbed." They go 60's with the bonus track cover "Sloop John B", which they did a fantastic job on. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics were very, very clever in all the songs. I even learned a new word from "Devastation and Reform": "Masochistic." I love how Matt made "Deathbed" basically an autobiography of a man's life yet had a rhyme scheme. "The Best Thing"'s lyrics really meshed with the tone of the music with a major key going. During the first song, all of the members did a great job singing their parts in A Capella. Even drummer did some drum set songs. The harmony in all the songs was great. "Come Right Out and Say It" had some great harmony in it during the chorus when they said "Say it". During the verses on "Devastation and Reform", Matt used a special microphone (which you can see on the bonus CD "Live at Capital Studios") to get his voice like that which was cool. // 9

Overall Impression: So far, this is my favorite album done by them. It is more mature than MMHMM and has better sound than that of albums before MMHMM. Five Score and Seven Years Ago holds the shortest and longest recorded song by Relient K, "Crayons Can Melt on Us For All I Care" and "Deathbed." They did a brilliant job on "Deathbed" recording 115 different tracks according to Wikipedia and using at least 30 different instruments including 3 different drum sets. "Must Have Done Something Right" has a great beat that you can dance to and "Give Until There's Nothing Left" and "Deathbed" are the kind of songs that you can play during a slide show. If I had to replace Five Score and Seven Years Ago, I would, without hesitation, buy it again because it's the kind of song you would want to play off a CD. // 9

More Relient K reviews rating latest review