Mmhmm Review

relient k: Mmhmm
Released: Nov 2, 2004
Genre: Pop Punk, Christian Rock, Alternative Rock, Post-Hardcore, Indie Rock
Label: Gotee, Capitol
This album was softer, with more piano. They just keep getting better and better with their lyrical talent and their instrumental skills.
 Lyrics: 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
 9.1
Mmhmm Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 25, 2004

Sound: This cd is like nothing I've ever heard before. The perefect blend of power chords, catchy and complex riffs, and melody. The songs range from light and melodic (High Of 75) to almost metal (Life After Death And Taxes). Each song is unique and has its own creative sound. The band also uses a lot more piano than in the previous albums but it's well played and follows the songs perfectly. Some might think that the piano is overused a bit and I agree that it wouldn't hurt to have less. Aside from the that the sound is true pop-punk at its finest. // 10

Lyrics: Every song on this cd is well written and heartfelt. The funny, some may say stupid, songs like May The Horse Be With You and Gibberish Are Gone, though they haven't totally lost their sense of humor. The Only Thing Worse than Beating A Dead Horse is betting on it, just the name is reminds you its still the same Relient K. But if you actually listen to the song it goes quite deeper than the name suggests. You can tell they've gotten older and that lead singer Matt Thesien has a new girlfriend. The first song, The One I'm Waiting For, is a change of pace for Relient K beacuse they don't usually sing about romance. They still have songs about life struggles that almost everyone can relate to but this new girlfriend has brought out someting that Relient K was missing, and I thank her whoever she is. // 10

Overall Impression: This album totally blew the other Relient K albums away and I guess you could say they've matured. They have become way better musicians and their song writing skills have developed along with that. If anyone tells you that Relient K is just another pop-punk band this cd will prove them wrong. No other band I have heard does so much different stuff and still sounds good. The One I'm Waiting For, Be My Escape, and Who I Am Hates Who I've Been are probably the best songs on the album, but all the songs could easily become favorites. If you like New Found Glory, The Starting Line or any other band like that you need to get this cd. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 15, 2005

Sound: After nearly one and a half years since their previous album has been released, Ohio based spiritual punk rock band Relient K came back with their fresh and hopeful effort "MMHMM." This new album -- with 14 brand new songs -- is something unusual for the band with patented pop/punk approach on their '02 and '03 releases. On "MMHMM" soft and melodic tunes are perfectly balanced together with fast and powerful punk riffs with a slight metal touch. Though overall they are getting back to the proven formula of measured and plain music, but with a lot more experience. The worst thing about this album is that annoying feeling of dej vu -- you've probably heard these or similar tunes before from millions of other pop-punk bands out there. The feeling that bad to consider most songs weak and unoriginal -- what's new for Relient K has been done to death by other bands actually. "MMHMM" has plenty of instruments and effects -- there are a lot of clean piano sounds, much more than on the previous releases. Second track "Be My Escape" besides great melody contains very impressive mixture of staccato guitar riffs with these pensive piano tunes. Pure pop-punk "I So Hate Consequences" features beautiful tandem of piano and Matt Thiessen's vocals in the outro. "Let It All Out" is wholy performed as smooth acoustic ballad. The haviest track on "MMHMM" is "Life After Death & Taxes" with its grinding guitar riffs and Matt's screaming voice, although it -- as most part of the tracks -- features clean melodic bridge. And the final "When I Go Down" is yet another soft melancholy ballad with acoustic bridge. // 6

Lyrics: The main direction of the album's lyrics was determined by the Relient K's stylistics -- Christian music. So, on "MMHMM" the lyrics are mostly addressed to God. Besides, their lyrics matured as well as their music. Formerly there was a lot of nonsensical and plainly talentless themes, but on "MMHMM" we have a quantum leap that Relient K has made in terms of lyrics. Of course Matt Thiessen couldn't keep just one style on the album, usual reckless/funny songs are here as well. For example, "My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend" with its gratitude to a certain dude for his folly -- "He's the guy/That you should feel sorry for/He had the world but he though that he wanted more..." // 8

Overall Impression: Thus, with this album we've got extremely good product, though nothing exceptional. With "MMHMM" Relient K prove the adequate place in the Christian genre hierarchy. This release and its favourable reports demonstrate the demand for the Christian music over again. Once again, this album doesn't confine within one way -- instead it has soft melodic ballads, fast powerful punk tunes with metal germs. Apparently, Relient K's "MMHMM" is one of their best works to date, though not the best on the whole pop-punk scene. // 6

Mmhmm Reviewed by: Staind 14, on november 15, 2004

Sound: Relient K is the kind of band that can be described with one word: un predictable. Just when you think you know what they're going to do, they pull a few new tricks from their sleeve. And Mmhmm, their fourth album with Gotee Records, is definitely a new trick. First of all, there is a whole lot more piano playing on this cd than there ever has been on any of the other Relient K cds. Matt Thiessen is really a great pianist, and to hear him play more often is great. What I especially like about the instrumental part of this album is the fact that Relient K mixes the classical sound of the piano with their staple fast-paced guitar playing. The combination of music makes this album better than the others. Second of all, the entire sound has really changed over the course of the year since the band's last album. They seem to be a little bit harder, a little more skilled with their guitar playing, and still as better as ever with the drumming and bass. // 10

Lyrics: When it comes to the lyrics, Relient K has made a quantum leap. On Two Lefts Don't Make A Right But Three Do, a number of the songs, such as Mood Rings and Pink Tux To The Prom, have nonsensical, just plain stupid lyrics. But on Mmhmm, all of that has changed. The guys have matured a whole lot when it comes to songwriting. More of their songs seem to be directed towards God. Their songs are more desperate, more glorifying, and overall the best they have ever been. Of course, they still have that witty sort of tone to it. It's still Relient K. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, I was, am, and will continue to be impressed with this album. Like the rest of the Relient K cds, this one never gets old, and every single song on it is awesome. Overall, this is Relient K at the height of their career as songwriters and musicians. They continue to be one of my favorite bands, and unless they did somethig really sick and stupid, they will remain awesome as they are now. The only disappointment about this cd? There's no hidden track like there usually is. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: Uncommonresults, on november 04, 2004

Sound: Hey Relient K's new album Mmhmm just came out yesterday and I listened to it all the way through. It wasn't anythign like their other albums. They all had more guitar and was much louder. This album was softer, with more piano. I liked this sound more, it was a break through for them and was something new that they've tested and it worked. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this cd were very good. Be my escape has a very good lyrical impression on pretty much everyone that listens to it. Another good song would be My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend. This song is very good. It's about how he's so lucky to have the girl he's with and it's all thanks to the ex boyfriend. They've grown up a lot since they last put out an album. Well not that much. One of the songs is called The Only Thing Worse than Beating a Dead Horse is Betting On One. You can tell it's good old Relient K. // 10

Overall Impression: Let's see. This album blew away all the other albums that Relient K's put out as of now. They just keep getting better and better with their lyrical talent and their instrumental skills. The best songs on the album would be Be My Escape, My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend, and Which To Bury Us or the Hatchet. I actually don't own the CD myself, but I'd definatley buy it. I've heard it and it rules. Get out there and buy it! // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 05, 2004

Sound: Alright, I wasn't too satisfied with the other review written for this album, so I decided to write a more in-depth one. Relient K has released 3 studio albums and all have been met with good reviews. The band garnered a 2004 Vibe award for "Best Rock/Alternative Album", and was nominated for a Grammy in 2003 for their album "Two Lefts Don't Make a Right... but Three Do". Prior to the release of Mmhmm, lead singer Matt Thiessen said that this album was by far the one they were most satisfied with and that they couldn't wait to release it. So is it all it's cracked up to be? Indeed it is. The sound on Mmhmm is different from their others, but it is a markedly improved one. The most notable change is the bigger presence of lead singer Matt Thiessen's piano playing. He is a very talented pianist, and this new addition makes the songs much more interesting. The trademark guitars are still ever-present, with nice guitar riffs thrown in here and there throughout. The drumming, provided by Dave Douglas, is also very well done and the rhythms are excellent. The harmonies are astounding, and all the singers (there are several guest appearances on the album) nail the pitches perfectly. Also, in certain parts of some songs, you can definitely detect a Beach Boys influence, which is very interesting for a band known more for pop-punk. It does not, however, sound out of place, and makes the songs more fun to listen to. Many of the songs have a slightly heavier sound, while others slow down the pace, such as "Let It All Out" and "When I Go Down." // 10

Lyrics: Matt Thiessen has always been known for his keen wit and tongue-in-cheek humor in his lyrics, and he delivers yet again on Mmhmm. For example, "My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend" is a song thanking his, well, girl's ex-boyfriend, for breaking up with his girlfriend so he could be with her. Thiessen is also much more open with his lyrics, crying out to God to help him get through all the trials in life. Whether one shares his faith or not, anyone can relate to these honest lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, an excellent album. Gems like "Be My Escape", "Which To Bury, Us Or The Hatchet", and "Who I am Hates Who I've Been" make this an album that you could listen to all day. While some albums tend to tail off in quality towards the end, Mmhmm may actually improve. I would definitely recommend purchasing it legally. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: tfkrocks25, on november 05, 2004

Sound: Amazing. This cd blows all of their other ones away in sound quality. The piano and cello are great (although almost overused) They did songs softer and harder than anything the've ever done. The songwriting is amazing! The softer and harder parts usually blend great. The lead singer is an especially talented piano player and guitarist. Great drumming also. The styles are mostly punk and he bases influences on other bands all around it. Definately the best sound the've had. I give it a 5. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are smart and heart felt. Relient K really puts a meaning into their music. The only thing I have to complain about with this album is that the lyrics arn't as funny as the past 3, but they're still out there, with titles like "The only thing worse then beating a dead horse is betting on one" and the title of the cd struck me as funny and odd. Over all, I give the lyrics a 5. // 10

Overall Impression: Amazing stuff. Unlike any album I've heard. If it was lost I'd get one of my friends to burn a copy of it for me, or buy it again. Crazy Album. Go buy it! // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2004

Sound: This album, in my opinion, is the greatest cd that this incredibly talented band from Ohio has put out. This cd contains more piano than the other records. One thing that is on this record is that there is some screaming in some songs. I was amazed when I heard the screaming I did as in songs like Life After Death And Taxes. It shows that the band is not only a punk rock band that everyone has expected. // 10

Lyrics: The singer Matt is incredible in his songwriting skills as he is in his singing. The lyrics are put together in great ways that only someone like him could put together. He talks about what he believes in ways that you would have to think about what he said a little while before you could actually understand the true meaning of the lyrics. I love the way he relates his everyday life to his lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This album in no way, shape, or form compares to the other albums. It is way more mature than the other's. I feel that Which To Bury, Us Or The Hatchet, and Life After Death And Taxes are the two songs that stand out to me. I love the screaming and the hidden meanings behind some phrases and lyrics. Honestly there is nothing that I really hate about this record. I would most definately buy this cd again if I lost it or it was stolen. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: madi_smith, on april 13, 2005

Sound: This CD rocks! Mostly because you get lots of hard punk and then some soft, inspirationals. I can't get enough of it. It is by far their best album yet! (sorry to you who love their humorous side, there aren't too many silly songs in this one). It's also cool how they wrote about who they thank for everything in the back and stuff. You get to see which bands they like and stuff. Anyway, it's really cool. you should check it out. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Thiessen is just as awesome as ever in this one. Wow, the lyrics are amazing, as always. I love their relevance to everyday life. The lyrics are moving, and catchy. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this CD man. My favourite on it has to be "Let It All Out." Pretty much every song on the album is worth buying it. I just love the parts where Matt Hoopes screams (he's an awesome background vocalist). // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 28, 2005

Sound: This is the first CD I have bought by Relient K and I can assure you it is not a waste of time or money to go get it. The sound is really good. You get some pretty heavy punk sounding music like "The Only Thing Worse Than Beating A Dead Horse Is Betting On One," to some inspirational music like "Life After Death And Taxes." // 10

Lyrics: The vocalist/guitarist, Matt Thiessen, has a really good voice and has some very good inspirational lyrics. The words and music are really catchy. An good example of good lyrics on this CD would be, "Every breath that I inhale is followed by exhaling: Sure as the one who never fails, I know will nevr fail me." // 10

Overall Impression: If you like MxPx you will probably like Relient K. They are both Christian pop/punk. I love the lyrics and the music they go together very well. There are some heavy punk sounnding songs to soft inspirational songs. No bad language whatsoever and is just one of the best CD's ever. If it wasn't I wouldn't even waste my time sitting here writhing this review to you. Now if it was stolen from me I would probably hunt them down and get it back. If I lost it I would call the police to conduct a search. I'm only kidding, but if I lost it or it was stolen I would absolutely go out buy it again. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: aquaknight3, on august 03, 2005

Sound: The sound is amazing. It varies from the soft, soothing sound of piano to the more hard core rock of the electric guitar (particularly the song "Life After Death And Taxes") and, well, everything inbetween. Mostly Christian punk rock, Matt really writes great music. Any of the songs could set the mood for the day, just waking up to this CD is refreshing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good and the creativeness is great, although there isnt much humor in this album. But then, it's good to get more serious sometimes. The vocals are awesome and the lyrics set with the voices and music really pull everything together. You can always count on the next song to be at 110% about what they mean to communicate to the listener. // 10

Overall Impression: I only have this album and "Two Lefts Don't Make A Right, But Three Do." I think this album has much more to do with getting across the word of God (I So Hate Consequences, Be My Escape, More Than Useless, Who I Am Hates Who I've Been, Maintain Consciousness, Life After Death And Taxes, and When I Go Down in particular). Their other album has great songs too, but I think I would rather have this one. I would definately buy it again; nothing like good music. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: RelientQue, on august 31, 2005

Sound: This CD has an awesome combination of instruments and styles. Be My Escape is a really good example, with the fast electric guitar at the intro and choruses, but then theres the piano during the verses. I like how there is the variety of sounds on this CD, ranging from the punk sound of I So Hate Consequences, the not-quite-metal sound of Life After Death And Taxes, and the lighter pop from High Of 75. I love it! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great. There isn't as much humour as there was in Two Lefts Don't Make A Right, But Three Do, but it's cool to have something different, and this music is more about God and other deep issues, which is nice. The change in lyric-writing blends nicely with the change in music style too. Matt Thiessen has an amazing vocal range and a great voice. Matt Hoopes is also an awesome background singer. I also love the fact that the lyrics are catchy and clean! // 10

Overall Impression: I miss the humour that they have in thier other albums, but that aside, I love this one. Relient K has alot of the same style as bands like Simple Plan and Good Charlotte, and if you don't like them you most likely won't like Relient K. My favourite songs on the album were Who I Am Hates Who I've Been, I So Hate Consequenses, Be My Escape and Life After Death And Taxes. If it was stolen, I would definetly buy another one. If it was lost, I wouldnt sleep until I found it. Definetly worth what you pay for it. I love the Fast Pace, clean lyrics. The only thing that I hate is that there isn't more songs, I could listen too it forever. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: lindgren07, on october 27, 2005

Sound: This band is unbelievable. Matt, the lead singer, can really hit high tenor notes that even I have trouble with. The licks and riffs that were invented are unbelievable and outstanding. They play many different styles of the christian punk, which I enjoy alot. This band has really put in a lot of time and have come out with great fame and fortune. // 10

Lyrics: Matthew Thiessen is a great singer because that is the kind of voice that I like to hear and try to learn from it. The message in the songs is really hidden, so you have to really listen to understand it in some of the songs. // 10

Overall Impression: Relient K has really stood out to me, according to many other Christian rock groups/artists. I really enjoy listening to this great album. I love the way they style up the meaning of "punk rock." They bring in the piano at some points and then later add some distortion to the guitar, which really distinguishes this group from others. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2006

Sound: Overall the music is just amazing. It is upbeat, and fun. Every single song in Mmhmm will put a smile on your face. I love to listen to it when I'm getting ready, becuase the beautiful blend of piano, and guitar is a great way to start your day! The switch from the fast music to the melodic, piano music was done very elegantly. I was very impressed when I heard The new album because of the honesty in it. It's something that goes beyond just the lyrics. You can tell that the band put their all into this album, and every note count's to them. When Matthew Thiessen plays the piano (beautifully, I might add) the total passion, and sincerety comes across more obvious than any of Relient K's previous work. // 10

Lyrics: Matt Thiessen definatley has an amazing talent when it come to writing lyrics. The lack of wit in these new songs does not affect the quality of the lyrics in anyway. I am tired of listening to a song, reading the lyrics over and over again, and still having no idea what the band was trying to say! Relient K let's you know exactly where the song is going, and what their point is. Plus, It's a much welcomed breath of fresh air, to hear optomistic world. While most punk rock music these days focus on walking a lonley road, and misery loving them, it's nice to get away and listen to a song that states "it's funny how you find you enjoy your life / when you're happy to be alive" like High of 75 does. Most of the songs that Matthew Thiessen writes are perfect for his voice. Be My Esace complements his voice beautifully, and I so Hate Consequences shows how pure and sweet it really is. But I wouldn't go as far as to say that Relient K can't get any better with their lyrics. My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend was a complete cliche. I am tired of hearing dating, love songs, espessially when the rest of the album is about falling flat on your face, and the beauty of God's grace and forgiveness. to go from "I'm begging you to be my escape" and "Who I am will take the second chance You gave me" to "When she and I settle down, you can bet / that he is gonna have to settle for less." The whole song was boring and stupid, and frankly, I just don't care about Thiessen's love-life. // 8

Overall Impression: Relient K has always been my favorite band because of their honesty and readiness to say "I love you/Oh God, I love you." and have it not be in the least bit stupid. I love how the band can be real with their fans, and unlike other bands, you really see a side of Matthew Thiessen when you listen to his music. there is a real intamacy between the band and the fans, becuase they don't hide behind a rock-star attitude. I was really looking foreward to a hidden track at the end, and was disappointed with that, however there is sort of a hidden track. Mmhmm is track 0 in the beginning of the album. I've already bought the album twice, and it wasn't because it was stolen or lost, it was simply scratched. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: Red Martini, on april 04, 2006

Sound: I think that all of the relient k Cd's are off the charts. My favorite is Mmhmm though. All of the songs in this album are very up beat and really keep a beat. This album has really good sound quality and is very well done. I like how Relient K mixes piano into most of their songs. I think its awesome that Relient K uses sometimes two or three guitars in some of their songs it seems like the music never stops in alot of their songs. This CD is well worth buying. I recommend it to all of the Relient K fanatics. // 9

Lyrics: Relient K's lyrics and music really always flows and there are never boring songs. Slow singing is when there is slow music and vise versa. Matt Thiessen has a really good way of writing songs of all types. The singing skills are amazing because Matt Thiessen never misses a beat nor does he ever miss a note. If you play guitar like me when I first started like 2 years ago it was really hard to sing and play at the same time. Matt Thiessen is amazing at vocals we all know. // 7

Overall Impression: I believe that Relient K beats any artist by far. I think that from the Mmhmm album Be My Escape, Which To Bury, Us Or The Hatchet, The one I'm wating for, and Life After Death And Texas, those three are definetly the best tracks from this CD. I love that this album is new and totally different from the other albums. If I lost this album I would totally go out and buy a new one because this is by far my favorite CD and would die if I couldn't listen to it. Again I totally recommend this CD. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: neilprocks, on june 12, 2006

Sound: This CD is one of the best I've heard before. Each song on this CD are great. From melodic (High Of '75) to basically metal (Life After Death And Taxes). Each song has its own unique sound and it's great. There could have been less piano in thier songs it was a bit overused. But the rest was great pop-punk. // 9

Lyrics: Everything on this CD is well written. You can tell that Thesien has a real talent for writing songs and that he has a new girlfriend. Songs like (My Girl's Ex-Boyfriend, Which To Bury, Us Or The Hatchet). You can tell ther're songs about his love life. Matt's singing is great he has a real talent for singing. Some of the songs have a little sense of humor like (The Only Thing Worse Then Beating On A Dead Horse Is Betting On It). But if you actually litsen to the song you can tell it goes deeper than the title suggests. And they write about romance and life struggles that everyone can relate to. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the best Relient K CD yet. It totally blew the other ones away. They really have grown up and become way better musicians and song writers. No other band I've heard sounds this good and does so much different stuff. The best songs on this cd are probably Be My Escape, Who I Am Hates Who I've Been and The One I'm Waiting For. But the rest can also be one of your favorites. If you like the Starting Line or other bands like that you have to get this album. // 10

Mmhmm Reviewed by: drohns, on september 25, 2006

Sound: This CD is definitely the best of Relient K. The music is so complicated, it takes me a long time to tab it, though. One thing less than great with the CD is Let It All Out. It is a great song, but while the lyrics do have a good meaning, they are definitely the most bizarre on the CD. Overall though, it is great, and having one slow song really balances it out. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are, once again, very good. They are funny in "The Only Thing Worse Than Beating A Dead Horse Is Betting On One", they speak the truth about all of us A.D.D. people in "Maintain Conciousness", and inspiring in "More Than Useless" and "This Week the Trend". // 8

Overall Impression: The overall impression is good only if you like "headbanging music". If not, then it might be too heavy for you.This is probably one of the best christian music CD's you can buy, though. It combines advanced guitar music with deep and thoughtful lyrics. The things I don't like about it are that it is tuned a half-step down which makes for difficult playing. There are some better, but this is the best one of Relient K. If mine was stolen, I would buy it in a heartbeat. // 9

Mmhmm Reviewed by: sovaso, on september 10, 2012

Sound: I was impressed with the sound of "Mmhmm", Relient K's speed is great... At times. When I turn on songs like "I Hate So Consequences" I literally jump. Most often I turn that song off with around five others. However, "The One I'm Waiting For", "High Of 75" and "Be My Escape" I have to listen to no matter what. Relient K is good but some of their songs have a metal tinge to it. I'm impressed with "Mmhmm", but some songs aren't too good. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are one of Relient K's strong points. They are deep and profound. "High Of 75" Is a key lyrical track. With the deep lyrics, it makes sense that when you are happy, you look at the world way differently. Although it sometimes feels like Relient K is screaming into the microphone, most lyrics are thoughtful. His skills are great when he doesn't scream. // 9

Overall Impression: Relient K is like a mix between Five Iron Frenzy and Switchfoot; you never know what you're gonna get from them. The key tracks are "The One I'm Waiting For", "High Of 75" and "Be My Escape". Also, "The Only Thing Worse That Beating A Dead Horse Is Betting On One" is also good. I hate the screaming yet love the lyrics. I honestly don't Know What would happen if I lost it. // 8

More Relient K reviews rating latest review