The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek Review

Lyrics: 7.9
 8.7
 8.2
 9.1
The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2005

Sound: Beautiful, this is one of the best albums I've heard in years! Matt has got an awesome voice, and these are one of the very few punk bands I can stand. If you like Blink 182, Fall Out Boy, and Simple Plan, you would love this album. Another really good album would be "Mmhmm," their latest album. Christian rock has hit its high point. // 10

Lyrics: Their lyrics really make you think (and they are about relevant things, not ll about your girlfriend leaving you), like in songs like "Maybe Its' Maybeline," "Breakdown," and "Sadie Hawkin's Dance." These guys are funny, and anyone can relate to them, not just christians. // 10

Overall Impression: A really good album, recommended to a very wide range of audiences. If you hate punk, get it anyway. If you hate christian music, get it anyway. If you don't like it, go shoot yourself (just kidding). The guitar rhythms are awesome, and the drums are terrific. If I lost it, I would definitely buy it again. // 10

The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 26, 2004

Sound: This cd is one of the best, smooth and rhythmetic sounds in history. This band is an christian rock miracle. They can put up lyrics that rhyme perfectly and make into any song. They aren't a garage band and is not a sell-out. If you like christian rock you would like this. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are about different stuff thank god. And they don't sing about the same stuff over and over. Their songs are catchy like "Pressing On" are musical and the best song on the album. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one the best bands in christian rock today up there with Mxpx. This cd is like a treasure to me. I would recommended this to everyone because if you pick this up and listen to it I bet you, you won't put it down. The guitar riffs, the banging of drums, overall the music is awesome. // 10

The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek Reviewed by: henryt-bags, on september 24, 2005

Sound: These guys rock, one of the best christian band out there. I really like their sound, crazy guitar and wicked drums. The sound on this album is everything that made them famous. I like the intro to Failure To Excommunicate, and the beat of I'm Lion-o. // 8

Lyrics: As always, Matt Theisson writes his christian lyrics with cler lyrics and wit. Their are christian songs, and also other songs like Sadie Hawkins Dance, Skittles And Combos, and Breakdown. The lyrics go really well with the music, and they make us think about life from a really different perspective. // 9

Overall Impression: These guys rock, and Matt is a lyrical genious. Compared to Mmhmm, it isn't that good, but it is my second favourite album from them. If I lost it, I would but it again. // 8

The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 27, 2004

Sound: The sound is awesome. All Relient K cds are awesome with catchy riffs and unbelievable lyrics. I highly recommend their cds if you like bands like Blink 182. I would suggest their newest, "two lefts dont make a right, but three do." // 10

Lyrics: What I like about the lyrics is they are not all about God like most Christian bands, but about lifes struggles. // 10

Overall Impression: I hate Christian rock, Christian punk, Christian music in general because it really sucks. Relient k on the other hand beat my sterotypes against Christian music and have convinced me to buy all their cds. They are all awesome. // 10

The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek Reviewed by: mmmskittles, on february 05, 2004

Sound: The sound on this cd is pretty good. It's what you'd expect from a pop-punk band like Relient K. Tons of power chords, some catchy riffs, nothing your grandma couldn't play though. And by that I mean Benji Madden could easily play most of the songs on this CD. // 8

Lyrics: First, the good things. Matt Thiessen can rhyme. That is a plus. The songs on this CD such as "Pressing On" and "For the Moments I Feel Faint" are pretty lyrically ok. Then there are songs like "May the Horse Be With You" which are pretty lyrically lame. Then there's the song, "My Way or the Highway", which completely offended me and I can't believe that nobody has commented on this yet."You got to choose our side and live, or their side and die."? "If it scares you to death, may that be your lesson."? To that I say, not cool Matt Thiessen. Not cool in the least. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall, this CD is good compared to Christian rock, not so good compared to a lot of other things. It's worth buying if you see it in the bargain bin for 5 bucks, but other than that, I'm not sure. If it was lost or stolen, I Might buy it again. Maybe. // 6

The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2004

Sound: The sound to this album is pretty much the same powerchord, whiny tone that makes every other MTV-punk band call themselves "punk". As for vocals, most bands get semi-whiny singers, but no, not this one. I swear this guy looks and sounds like he hasn't hit puberty yet. One thing I know is that they hired two string players to play in like 2 of thier slow songs, I know this because I borrowed this album from them (thank God, I didn't buy it). The reason that I gave Sound a 2 is soley because I heard the string players on the CD. // 4

Lyrics: Songs like "May The Horse Be With You", "Breakfast At Timpani's", and "My Way Or The Highway (or whatever its called)" just say it all. The lyrics are funnier in the serious songs because they are so lame, and suicidally awfull in thier "funny" songs. // 2

Overall Impression: For punk, it sucks. For MTV, it sucks. For Christian, I'm pretty sure it sucks (I don't listen to Christian music). For music, it (guess what?) sucks! How can a band from where Marilyn Manson grew up suck so much? It almost makes me ashamed for living in Cuyahoga Falls (10 miles away). // 2

The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek Reviewed by: RelientQue, on february 02, 2006

Sound: I think this CD is incredible. The guitar is fast and fun, the drumming is rad, and you can hear a lot of bass parts. There isn't as much variety as in two lefts sound-wise, but for thier second CD I still say it's amazing. I like Lion Wilson, tracks like that and Breakfast at Timpanis make this CD a pleasure to listen to. Oh, you know what, who cares if Benji Madden can play half the songs on here? So can I. Benji is not in Relient K. // 10

Lyrics: I think the lyrics are great! They are catchy, clean and hilarious, I love the wacked out sense of humour. Songs like Sadie Hawkins Dance are cheerful and upbeat while Failure has a bit of a darker sound to it. There's a bunch of different types of feelings in all the songs and all sorts of moods. And yeah, Matty T's voice is a little on the high side, but it's all good. I think it's cute. and Matt Hoopes does a great job singing in Those Words Are Not Enough. My only beef is that the chorus lyrics are pretty repetetive in a lot of the songs, but the rest of the song makes up for that. an 11 on a scale of ten when it comes to creativity. // 10

Overall Impression: This Album is pure Relient K, and I cant really compare it to any other albums. It's not as pop-like as Two lefts, and not as deep as Mmhmm. It's more relaxed, and very original. My favourite songs would have to be Sadie Hawkins, My Way or The Highway, Failure to Excommunicate, Those Words are not Enough and Breakdown. I really like the positioning of Less is More at the end of the album, its a nice tune-down after Failure. I love the singing and the lyrics. The different moods to the songs makes it great to listen to on any occasion. The string pieces are neat (may I ask why someone would listen to a pop-punk album for string pieces) and I just think that it is an overall really great CD. When I first got it it didnt leave my CD player for 3 days, and now it holds a sacred spot in my CD case when its not I'm my discman. If somebody stole it from me, I would hunt them down and make them return it. I would never lose it, because I always have it with me when I go somewhere, but in the event it did happen, yes I would buy another one! // 10

The Anatomy Of The Tongue In Cheek Reviewed by: RelientKaddict, on august 01, 2006

Sound: Good sound. Surprisingly edgy distortion for punkish rock. I like the speed used in some of the songs. A couple have some really fast picking, almost shred quality. I'm impressed. Good songs. Surprisingly awesome overall band work. I love it! I never thought I'd hear a band like this. Surprisingly enough, from my own home state too. That just goes to show, even in this state, you can make it. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are great. Above average, in fact. The lyrics fit quite well with the music, and the timing match with the music is unbelievable. If you want an example, listen to track #3, "Sadie Hawkins Dance", and take a close listen to the guitar and the lyrics for the chorus. The lyrics and the music jive quite well as far as timing goes, and they fit quite well otherwise. // 8

Overall Impression: It's some of the best punk styled music I've ever heard. You can't top this album if you're looking for clean, modern rock. Take a listen, and just see if you don't find at least a few songs that you don't like. The guitar is also surprisingly difficult to play, if you're not accustomed to speedy licks. Not many of those, but, the ones that there are are quite difficult to play. // 10

More Relient K reviews rating latest review