Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Review

relient k: Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do
Released: Mar 11, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Punk, Punk-Pop, Alternative CCM, Christian Punk
The tunes, the energy, the guitars will leave your toes tapping for many spins.
 Lyrics: 7.6
 8.3
 7.8
 8.8
Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: Idiot Pineapple, on february 15, 2006

Sound: Relient K is not your traditional punk-pop band. They take their genre to new heights with this release. They take the power chord and not only beat the heck out of it, but they alter that pop punk sound into a pure rock, and sometimes almost jazzy feel. The overall sound on this album is beautiful. Wonderfully produced, and it still maintains a certain sloppy, raw edge to it. Not only are there influences from the punk pop scene, but there are also allusions to bands like Tears For Fears, and Jefferson Aeroplane, and other rock influences are evident as well. Overall, well mixed, and some pretty good guitar work. // 9

Lyrics: Matt T is a phenomenal songwriter. He takes topics we can all relate to and adds his own personal commentary on it. He's a master of putting a twist on a phrase. A true poet. The songs range from humorous, to painfully true, to life situations we've all at one point or another encountered. Not only does he discuss them, but though the music almost seems to find a solution. The band's sense of harmony and tone quality is evident though the whole album. Their vocals can range from soft and subtle, to flat out ear busting screaming. All in all, the vocals fit the music perfectly. // 9

Overall Impression: Relient K is not your run of the mill punk pop band. They are masters of their genre. They take what they do to new limits, and constantly push themselves. If I lost this album, I would go out that day and purchase a new one. This album was the soundtrack of my high school years, and brings back many wonderful memories. This is one of the top ten albums I would recommend to someone new to music. Highlights on the album include the opening track Chap Stick, Chap Lips, and things like Chemistry, I Am Understood, Jefferson Aeroplain, and just about every other track on the album really. The running themes and melodies on the album really put all the songs together. The only downers on the album are the obligatory filler track or two, but hey, they tried. Overall, Releint K did a phenomenal job on this record. // 10

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2004

Sound: Relient K is a great band of many types of music. For example, they can give a song a great pop/punk beat and pull in some great solos. Their ability to be serious but also incredibly funny at the same time. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics have a great message to those who are christians and not. You can really enjoy the lyrics becuase they can almost make you see a music video in your mind. Relient K can take the most complicated words and make you understand them. They have some great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, Relient K is a great band. Punk, Christian, Rock or all of them both. whatever you want to call them they can make you like them in just on song. With just a little over 750,000 albums sold, they aren't a big band but they will be if they keep up the good work. // 10

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 12, 2004

Sound: Relient K is an amazing band that has no specific style. Their lead guitarist/vocals (Matt Theissen) is very versitile and talented, and so is everyone else. This isnt just some band that plays catchy tunes, they play difficult riffs and progressions that many other bands couldn't dream of being able to play. The quality and cleanliness is also very pleasing to the ear // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album are spectacular and creative as well. Matt can write excellent lyrics reffering to girls, Christ, or leaving home, and shows it in this album. The lyrics can be sad, happy, or just hilarious, and he knows exactly the right places to put the lyrics as well. Excellent creativity. // 10

Overall Impression: Many other artists where struggling or barely making it in the music industry at this bands age, but they prove that they can be above the rest. The album doesn't have just one or two songs that are worth listening to, but all are meaningful and artistic. You definitely get your moneys worth with this cd. // 10

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2004

Sound: Uh, well they do seem to have improved a little since their last CD. But they still don't know how to write songs. I liked "Atatomy of Tounge in Cheek" CD better than this one. Their sound is probably the best part of this CD but thats not saying much. The guitarist saves this band from being total crap. // 4

Lyrics: Singers voice is an afterthought. Lyrics the worst I have ever heard. With songs titles like "Chap Stick, Chaped Lips, and things like chemistry" what do you expect. Songs that talk about cell phones may sound creative but in practice it just dosn't work. Here a quote from one of their songs, "Experience the bitter sweet... then brush my teeth". The lyrics took no talent at all to write. They have the cheesiest lyrics trying to be silly and all, and then when they have a serious song it's hard to take it seriously (i.e. "getting into you"). // 2

Overall Impression: A quote by one the members of Relient K: "Our moms are realy proud of us because of this album". Yeah, its a CD that only a mother could love. It's that bad. Someone realy needs to explain the apeal of this band to me. The only people who like this band are those whot don't understand talent and havn't heard any better bands out there. I have happened to have lost this CD and I'm not buying it again. // 2

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: ohdarn323, on february 18, 2004

Sound: I happened to see this band playing at a show I went for free. I would definitely never pay money to see this band, they put on a horrible show. I'm sorry, but they don't know how to write music. They're appealing to teenage and preteen girls because the guitarist is "so cute", but he can't write music. They played some songs off this album, and I was not impressed at all. // 2

Lyrics: The lyrics were horrible. Very cliche, I'm sorry but I could write better lyrics than that. Maybe it's something I'm missing, but I didn't like them at all. // 2

Overall Impression: If you enjoy this kind of music, go for it, but if you appreciate talented music, stay away from Relient K. They are awful. You do what you like; I'll be in my room listening to Doug Martsch and Chris Cheney. // 2

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: Kutless, on april 26, 2004

Sound: I love the sound. Punk is my favorite type of music so I really liked this disc. It's got a mixture of Simple Plan, Good Charlotte, and Blink 182 sounds in it. Overall it's really good. // 10

Lyrics: This is where they fall short. I usually like christian music, but the lyrics where mostly goofy. Example: "in Love With The 80's" "and I'm only gonna pierce my left ear and I've been workin' on this mustache all summer long." Songs like "Getting into you" and "Forward Motion" where the high points. // 6

Overall Impression: I saw them live and they put on a good show. The best songs were "Forward Motion" and "Hoopes I did it again." Good album you need to buy it. // 8

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: mookeynerds, on july 07, 2004

Sound: Even if you don't like Relient K you have to give Matt credit. He has the sexiest voice ever! I still find myself in the middle of class humming "In Love With the 80's" and "College Kids". They are right up there with Blink 182. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are what I like most about this CD, and I love how they have their own style. They add humor and creativity to their music. I agree with others. If you like Blink 182 then you will love Relient K. // 10

Overall Impression: Yes you could call them punk ,but punk is such an over used word. I can easily give them all fives. I had to hold myself back before I went out and bought this CD in all of the colors available. I don't care what anyone else says because Relient K is da bomb! I think you should get off of your butt and buy this CD. // 10

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 19, 2004

Sound: Relinet K isn't your averadge punk/pop band. I personally it when people compare them to Good Charlotte. These guys know more than just simple power chords. They throw in tons of complicated riffs and chords that are tough to pull off fast. They go where many of today's punk bands don't dare to go in terms of complexity and song structure. "Hoops I Did It Again" really shows off what Relinet K can do with song writing. Plus, they have alot of variety and styles. You can tell especially in "I Am Understood?" (definately the best song sound-wise on the almbum) which starts off accoustic and speeds up with heavy punk riffs and even has some screaming in the end (on the backup vocals). They also used an 80's sounding intro on "Pink Tux To The Prom", which fit in perfectly with the song. The sound really keeps this album moving, and deserves a 5 in full! // 10

Lyrics: It amazes me how Relient K can be really goofy and funny but at the same time serious. It's awesome that there are punk bands out there like Relient K that arn't big whiners that go around complaining about how screwed everything is. This CD contains some really compashionate and Powerfull lyrics (I Am Understood?) and also some hillarious ones (Colledge Kids is my personal favorite). Oh, and please don't knock on them because they are Christian. They're doing what they got to do, and if you don't understand that, fine, but don't knock on them because of their religion. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this is one of my favorite cds. I love everything about this cd, even though it could have used some more harder stuff (but thats just my opionion.) I think everyone who likes punk rock should buy this cd. If Relient K was mainstreem they would rule the radio. Every song is awesome but I especially like "Colledge Kids" and "Chapstick, Chapped Lips" and "Things Like Chemestry". If it was stolen I'd go buy it again. Definately. // 10

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: SURFraptor7, on august 25, 2004

Sound: Relient K is a great band and this CD rarely gets old. The music is pretty much pop-punk, yet has much more talent than most pop-punk bands. The instrumentals are pretty good. Guitar-wise, there are quite a few intro riffs and a few solos on the album that make it interesting. The drums are good and rarely repetitive. The bass normally follows the rhythm guitar as with many bands. This band is all about fun, as many of the lyrics show, and they cover many different topics. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very well written. They are reminiscent of some pop-punk, but are much more thoughtful. There are also many grammatical twists in their songs which always provide a good laugh. The songs range from everywhere from corny and fun ("Mood Rings", "Pink Tux to the Prom") to serious and emotional ("Getting Into You", "I am Understood?") The serious side of their lyrics hold great meaning, which is normally influenced by the band's Christian faith. The lyrics fit the music well in either case. Matt Thiessen has a great voice especially for the music, as it is soft, yet not whiny. And there are also backup vocals from other members of the band which are good. // 10

Overall Impression: In comparison to other bands in the pop-punk genre, Relient K blows all the others away both musically and lyrically. This band is composed of talented musicians with plenty of good guitar riffs, decent bass and good drums. The songs are all very geniusly written, and any critics have obviously not really analyzed the lyrics or their meaning. I love everything about this band from the corny humor, to their more serious side. The fact that they are a Christian band doesn't really affect my opinion at all. If it were stolen, I would definitely buy another copy. // 10

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: RelientQue, on august 10, 2005

Sound: These guys are crazy! I love thier music style and the fast pace of a lot of thier songs. There's a huge amount of creativity and it's all different. They are comparable to Simple PLan and Good Charlotte, and if you don't like thier style you won't like Relient K. You can put them into the punk-pop genre, but their music spreads out into kinds too. Some songs reminded me of country, some of oldies rock (take a wild guess which song I'm reffering to). I could never get tired of listening to this CD. // 10

Lyrics: Anyone who listens to Relient K knows that they are a talented bunch. The lyrics on this CD were doing everything between making me laugh and making me think about my life. They have this way of making really corny lyrics sound like a serious song, which is kind of cool. Matt Thiessen has an awesome voice. It's neat how he has a wide vocal range, and theres that tone or something, just the way he sings. It's like PIerre Bouvier's voice but not quite. All I can say is I love it! // 10

Overall Impression: There are only 2 albums out there that I like every single song on them: Paul Brandt's "This Time Around" CD (any country fan can tell you, it is amazing). The other is this one. My favourite songs are College Kids, Forward Motion, and Chapstick and Chapped lips and things like Chemistry. I love how theres a lot of variety in this album when it comes to the lyrics and music types. If it was stolen or lost, I would definetly buy it again, and maybe even another copy, just in case. Definetly worth what you pay for it. People who don't like Simple PLan or Good Charlote will most likely not like Relient K, there's the same style. The only thing I hate about this album is that there isn't more songs on it. I could listen to it forever. // 10

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: aquaknight3, on august 15, 2005

Sound: This album is great. It has awesome sound that is more than the normal punk rock group. Sure, they use power chords alot, but a whole lot of the songs have a bunch of inverted chords that keep you wondering. I'm still trying to tab this album. I'm figuring out after each and every song that it's more difficult than I had expected. Relient K is an awesome band that combines a lot of sounds. I love how rare the piano or the acoustic guitar comes into play in their songs. By doing this, the songs never get old. For example, if you listen to a song with one solid type of sound, it'll sound good, but it will get boring to listen to. I find myself listening to this all day. Great album. // 10

Lyrics: These lyrics are another reason I like this CD. They always tell you exactly what they want to tell you and in the perfect format and background. The music flows evenly with the singer, Matt Thiessen, and his lyrics. They are all awesome musicians and I think just by tabbing their songs; they're teaching me more and more about the guitar. Every song on this album has a meaning, whatever the topic. And there are many topics by the way. Awesome lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: I have their newest album, Mmhmm, and I think that one is a little better than this one. It's natural, after all, to improve over time and thus making better music as time moves along. But no matter what the newest one is like, this one is worth buying a hundred times. // 10

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 16, 2005

Sound: I would first like to say that yes I am a christian so I'm not just putting this album down because their a christian band. So my brother was looking at this cd at the store and he sampled it and said he thought it was funny and he liked the music, so he bought it. And I listened through it about 3 times and I was like meh its ok. But I soon realised how bad it was. The lyrics need major work. The band as a whole needs to improve and I cant even hear the bassist. I'm sorry Its just not impressive. The band comes across as a bunch of softies. Its not rock and roll, its barely punk. I don't know what to call it. Its just bad. The only fans of reliant K would be girls, christians just dying to hear a christian punk band or a person who dosent like talented creative music as a whole. // 4

Lyrics: Without a doubt one of the worst parts on the cd. The lyrics are childish and cliche. Here is some of the topics they cover - Cell Phones, Mood Rings, Coffee, Brushing Your Teeth, The 80's, gibberish, and other ridiculous subjects. And when they try and talk about God and serious matters it may be hard to take them serious. Wheres the passion, wheres the message? All I see is in-mature songwriting and then here and there a serious song. It dosent work well with the music. And the singer is by no means that good. I don't think he has much range. // 2

Overall Impression: Overall it isn't worth listening to. They arent a very talented band. The guitarist isnt bad but he still isn't real good or just dosen't want to show it. Dont get it. If you want good talented christian music get a Blindside album, POD album, or Living Sacriface album. Don't get Switchfoot either. The only good song on their latest is Meant To Live. // 4

Two Lefts Don't Make A Right... But Three Do Reviewed by: Mike17, on february 11, 2008

Sound: This album is full with catchy uptempo pop punk songs, they definately slow it down at times like with the song "Getting into you" it opens up with a fun summertime anthem called "chapstick, chapped lips, and things like chemistry." and is probaly along with their self titled album their most fun fuelled record. Mood rings has some melodic parts, an acoustic outro and some more uptempo riffs. Falling out is a mid tempo song and the bridge adds in some piano to the song. A good blast of the past would be "In love with the 80s" which sounds like it was from that decade, from end to end takes on a more mature sound than the other uptempo songs. The singer, is very talented, and uses sarcasm and other feelings pretty well, and nearly always keeps a certain melody in his voice. The drummer also shows great talent on songs like "Hoopes, I did it again" "chapped stick/chapped lips/chemistry" and "from end to end" Trademark has certain metal undertones to some of its riffs. // 5

Lyrics: Matt uses great wit in lyrics, as well as play on words for example in the song "Chapped stick" (I don't want to be percieved the way I am, I just want to be percieved the way I am) or "hoopes, I did it again" ('cause they say in canton you can't-en joy yourself") as well as "Instead of playing shows we'll be showing plays" songs like "Trademark" contain clever rhyming lines as do "Mood rings", "Hoopes I did it again", "Gibberish" and other songs amongst those. // 8

Overall Impression: I think there are songs on this album that easily compare to other artists for example "getting into you" reminds me of jack jhonson while "Chapstick, chapped lips and things like chemistry" probaly has the most FM static feel. I love the fun factor of the album and it is great for summertime and having fun, I don't hate anything about it, but I do feel the occasional song runs a bit short. It's worth buying twice, but I just downloaded all the songs apart from one online anywhere, so there you go. // 7

More Relient K reviews rating latest review