Places For Breathing Review

artist: revis date: 09/17/2005 category: compact discs
revis: Places For Breathing
Released: May 20, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Brooding, Cynical/Sarcastic, Earnest, Literate, Aggressive, Reflective, Searching
Styles: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.8
 9.5
Places For Breathing Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 17, 2005

Sound: Wow. Simply put. Wow. This band brings a new sound to rock. If I could compare it to anything, it's a harder edged Incubus with a frontman that has a more powerful voice. That's right you read that correctly. I don't think it's better than Brandon Boyd's but it is more driving and deep. // 10

Lyrics: Justin Holman is a fantastic songwriter. The band can write great music that hooks you from the beginning to the end. Every single one of these songs are fantastic and well written. Seven obviously the best, but all the songs bring a different emotion up. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion out of all the CDs I own this is the best. I love this CD. It is just so well put together and musically appealing. Song Listen To The Band Jam after Look Right Through Me. It's great. // 10

Places For Breathing Reviewed by: spoonman017, on january 14, 2004

Sound: Most bands are supposedly unique, but Revis's music is one-of-a-kind. Revis uses acoustic simulators on most verses to make it sound unique. Most choruses are lost, distorted and catchy, while the verse settles everything down. During the solos, the guitarists use effects, giving it a Tom Morello taste to it. // 8

Lyrics: Singer Justin Holman is often compared to Cold's vocalist Scooter. Holman has excellent range and can deliver soothing vocals or angry yells on demand. He sounds a little older than what he really is, but when it is blended in with the music, it sounds awesome. The lyrics are also a key part of Revis. Places for Breathing is based on Holman's relationships. The lyrics are very mature and honest. Lyrical highs can be found on every track. Justin Holman is probably one of my favorite songwriters at this time. // 10

Overall Impression: When I first heard this song, it was on the Daredevil soundtrack. Shortly after, I bought the CD. No one instrument on Places for Breathing makes it great, it's the whole band working as one. Nothing really stands out, it's just old school good rock music. If someone stole this CD, I wouldn't get it back at that moment, but I would get it back sooner than later. I would compare Revis to Cold, softened up a bit, and soloist children from Tom Morello of Audioslave/Rage Against The Machine. All of the track on these CD are great, but it all depends on what you are looking for. Acoustic Metal: "Living Rooms" Alternative Rock: "Caught in the Rain" Rock: "Everything After" Alternative Metal: "Seven" Soft Rock: "Places for Breathing" Actually, I can't classify most of these songs... They really stand out on their own. The only thing I hate about the CD is that the songs only last to about 3 minutes apiece, and there is only 11 tracks, so when the CD is over, I am still wanting more. The good thing about this is that they don't drag out ther intros and make it boring and repetitive. If anyone has heard "Caught in the Rain" on the Daredevil Soundtrack should really go out soon and buy this CD. // 10

Places For Breathing Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 25, 2005

Sound: Smooth and screachy guitar through out all of the songs. Great melodies, a little grundgy which is pretty awesome for their sound. All songs are mixed with hard and soft going beats and rhythms. Very cool sounding. // 10

Lyrics: Pretty good lyrics, the singer has a great rocker voice sort of sounds like the lead singer for Breaking Benjamin, deep in throat singing, very cool. Great mix of singing with guitar and drums. // 8

Overall Impression: Awesome overall. My personal favorite song on the album: The City Beneath, Everything After, Seven, Caught In The Rain, Re-Use, and Spin. I actually love all the songs on the album just some more than others. You should totally buy this CD. // 10

Comments