Empire Of The Obscene Review

8.7
 9.5
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Empire Of The Obscene Reviewed by: chip8088, on march 03, 2011

Sound: Revocation hails from Boston MA. Originally a three piece tech/thrash death outfit, guitarist David Davidson, bassist Anthony Buda, and drummer Phil Dubois-Coyne self-released Empire of the Obscene in 2008. This release helped to get the band signed to Relapse Records which they released their second album under. This album blends the aggression of thrash with the technicality of technical death metal and then throws insane melodic solos into the mix. It helps that Davidson attended Berklee college focusing on polyrhythms and jazz. The solos at the end of Exhumed Identity are mind-blowing to say the least. Tracks like Unattained and Tail From the Crypt embody the groove of a thrash song with catchy hooks and riffs while the drums pound out at thrashing speeds, all the time being driven along by the pulsing bass. Then we have heavy hitters like the title track, Empire of the Obscene, which features lightning double bass and heavy crushing riffs and fast tremolo picking. But let's not forget the melody! Stillness takes a refreshing (if a little out of place) break with a soothing acoustic interlude. Then following Stillness is the (for lack of a better word) epic Age of Iniquity witch takes the catchy riffs, the heavy and intense breakdowns, and face melting solos and then, to be different, throws a (relatively) melodic vocal line for the chorus. I don't claim that this album has everything, but it definitely has a great mix of thrash and technical death metal. // 10

Lyrics: Vocals are a key point to any band in my opinion. Revocation's vocals kept me from really taking a deeper look into the band at first glance. While the vocals aren't bad, they aren't particularly impressive or unique. They seem to me like a cross between thrash yells and hardcore screams. They quickly grew on me, but they are still far from my favorite vocals. The lyrics are what you would expect from a death metal band. Tails From the Crypt deals with necrophilia, Exhumed Identity is written in the first person of a violent character, and Summon the Spawn is about summoning demons from hell. This covers the basics of death metal lyrics. // 7

Overall Impression: At first glance I was impressed, but not enough to buy the album. Second glance I began to look past the vocals and saw true potential in the music itself so I continued to listen. Third glance I was hooked and have been ever since. Revocation brings the best aspects of thrash and technical death metal together. A friend let me rip this album onto my computer because it wasn't released on a major label. Then when the band played a show nearby, I bought a copy from the members themselves. It's a genuinely solid album. The band knows how to make great metal, and they even surpass Empire of the Obscene on their sophomore album Existence is Futile. // 9

More Revocation reviews rating latest review
+ Deathless 8.7 10/23/2014