Mother Head's Family Reunion Review

8.7
 9.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Mother Head's Family Reunion Reviewed by: shinjirokatrina, on april 14, 2009

Sound: This album has an unbeatable sense of freshness even many years after it's release date, it is very spontaneous, very well written and played. I could call it seventies blues-rock-soul infectious music with the turbo of Richie's guitar playing in it (guitar playing which is everything but limited and seventies)! Fantastic riffs are everywhere in this album and Richie has a very cool array of seventies guitar tones. To accommodate his songwriting feelings which gravitate around some Motown stuff in a certain way, he changed here instrumentations too, going from the 24 frets Floyd Rose Super Strat type of things to the old school strats and teles (changing guitar sounds too) and the choice payed. // 9

Lyrics: When "Mother Head's Family Reunion" came out Richie Kotzen changed the course of his career almost completely and demonstrated that he had reached maturity. He was a killer shred guitar virtuoso when he became famous thanks to Mark Varney's Shrapnel record company dedicated to the guitarists self indulgent recordings. He recorded three albums as a guitar prodigy. Don't get me wrong, I'm just one of those guitar wankers madly in love with scales, arpeggios, super fast things. I loved and still love Richie's album as a guitarists heartbreaker, he was and still is of course an unbelievable talent on the six strings. But with this album he completely shocked me because he showed that he was (and still is) an exceptional singer and songwriter too. // 8

Overall Impression: If you have loved his later albums, you will love this one which stands as a really satisfying rock-blues-soul infectious record! Best tunes here are "Used", "A Woman And A Man", "Natural Thing", "Where Did Our Love Go", "Socialite", "Mother Head's Family Reunion", "Reach Out I'll Be There" but it's very good all around. Well let's wear our bell bottoms again and bang our heads. Let's go Richie, Kick ass! // 9

More Richie Kotzen reviews rating latest review