Stranger In This Town Review

richie sambora: Stranger In This Town
Released: Sep 3, 1991
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hard Rock
The Bon Jovi guitarist goes solo on this recording. Sambora plays songs and styles that otherwise would not fit within the boundaries of Bon Jovi with a heavy blues influence.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
Stranger In This Town Reviewed by: cradleoffilth, on november 22, 2004

Sound: The sound on the CD is really awesome. I like Richie Sambora's style of playing the guitar. In 'Bon Jovi' he's already very fantastic, but on his own solo-album he's more and more and more fantastic! The album is made with David Bryan on keyboards (also keyboard-player in Bon Jovi), Tico Torres on Drums (also drummer in Bon Jovi) and Tony Levin on de bass guitar. Eric Clapton plays the guitar solo in 'Mr. Bluesman' and the album is mixed by Bob Miller. // 10

Lyrics: I like the lyrics and the way Richie sing them. Sambora wrote them with Bryan, Morolda, Foster, Child, Warren and also with Bon Jovi! Rosie is a typical Bon Jovi style song and I lovi it. Richie Sambora is a spectacular guitar player, but he also have a awesome voice. // 8

Overall Impression: I compare this album with his other solo-album Undiscovered Soul, what is really special too. What I think the most impressive songs are? Church Of Desire, Ballad Of Youth, Mr. Bluesman and Rosie. I love the guitar-style, but I really hate the organ sounds in some songs. I have searched six years to this album to make my Bon Jovi collection complete and I will take care for it so it wil not be stolen or losted! // 10

Stranger In This Town Reviewed by: Destihado, on october 23, 2009

Sound: In 1991 Richie Sambora, lead guitarist of Bon Jovi, released his first personal record "Stranger In This Town". Surprisingly, the album has nothing, or very little, to do with the sound the prior Bon Jovi records and smash hits. Although it was Richie along with Jon that wrote most of the 80's material, Stranger In This Town has another direction, more personal, more soulful and less directed to the conquest of pop charts. No pop-metal riffs, no shredding and fast keyboards like 7800 Fahrenheit, Slippery When Wet and New Jersey. Sambora creates an album full of blues riffs and melodic solo. There are keyboards and layers everywhere, creating an atmosphere that personally reminds me of Tony Joe White. Forget the Kramer days, mr Sambora plays mainly the Strat in this album and he plays from the heart. Songs like Church of Desire and Father Time are pure magic musically, while others like River of Love and Rosie are straight rock & roll. Blazing solos are not absent in the album but Sambora prefers to use them wisely and its clear that he takes a distant from the hair metal shredding and tremolo techniques of the prior decade. The production of the album is great and the other members of the band are doing a great job. Tico Tores is playing the drums and David Bryan is behind the keyboards. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are about love, pain and loneliness. But in a deeper, bluesier way than before. Sambora writes with the help of Jon Bon Jovi and Desmond Child and some of his work like One Light Burning and The Answer is really poetical. Richie's voice is amazing, it sounds like a very subjective statement but its very honest. The man really knows how to sing. His voice is strong, masculin and very bluesy and together with the lyrics it complies perfectly with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: As it is for a hole music era, 1991 is like a "fin de siecle" for Richie Sambora too. From now on he slowly changes his musical directions into a style that will charecterise both him and Bon Jovi in the 90's. But this album "Stranger In this Town" is probably his finest hour in every possible aspect. My favourite songs from the album are the title track, Church of Desire, One Light Burning and Father Time. If it was stolen I would buy it again. // 9

More Richie Sambora reviews rating latest review