Revolutions Per Minute Review

rise against: Revolutions Per Minute
Released: Apr 8, 2003
Genre: Rock
Styles: Hardcore Punk, Post-Punk
This is an album filled with anguish - spiritual, emotional, and political - a roar against the tide of history washing over us, echoed by the wrenching pain of love lost.
 Lyrics: 9.5
 9.4
 9.6
 9.2
Revolutions Per Minute Reviewed by: shugo449, on january 04, 2007

Sound: On Revolutions Per Minute, the sound Rise Against had on The Unraveling becomes more redifined and has more of a "trademarked" sound. Tim's screaming is more crisp and clear, the solos are a lot better and more common, and the band is so in sync with each other it's amazing. My favorite tracks are "Black Masks And Gasoline", "Like the Angel", "Broken English", "Blood Red White And Blue" and "Amber Changing". The sound is what you would expect form them, with distorted guitars churning out punk rock power chords, jazzy drums, screams, and bass actually being an important part of the song, not just bum-buming in the background. // 10

Lyrics: Tim's lyrics are amazing. You can tell they are from the heart and that he is really trying to make a point besides good music. They are about burning it all down to build it back up and other things that will make you concious of the world and want to do something. // 8

Overall Impression: This album is truely amazing. It has great classic rock like solos while keeping a good hardcore punk mentality. I love all the musical and vocal work, but sometomes I just get sick how many times they repeat the chorus on some tracks. If I lsot this I wouldn't by a new one, cause I would have already killed myself 'cause I didn't have it. Seriously though, it's really that good. Everyone should buy this, not just a fan of Rise Against. // 9

Revolutions Per Minute Reviewed by: Zamboni, on october 12, 2005

Sound: Rise Against has a perfect blend of punk rock influence mixed with touches of hardcore punk. They play with passion and skill, and this CD demonstrates their sound very well. It's the first major label debut from Rise Against, and although some stores make the CD pricey, believe me, it's worth every penny (there is also a hidden track on the album. It's an awesome cover. Hint: let the last song play for a bit even after it's ended). // 10

Lyrics: Rise Against's singer is amazing. He has a good all-around punk voice, and a fiery scream. He's also got a thing where he'll scream, but it's seemingly on-tone. This means that he can have the violent passion of a scream going on, while still maintaining a nice vocal melody. To this day I don't know of any other singer that can do this. The lyrics fit the style very well, and are generally very nicely written. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a favorite album of mine, and is one I listen to all the time. Again, as my other reviews so gladly proclaim, this is a CD that you can just pop in and let play. Every song is really good, and you'll never be dissapointed with a track. I would reccomend this CD to any punk rock/hardcore punk fan, and reccomend Rise Against's other two CD's as well. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy another copy for sure. // 10

Revolutions Per Minute Reviewed by: pas trop rosbif, on april 28, 2005

Sound: Ah, Revolutions Per Minute. The best album from one of the best current punk/hardcore bands. This album has a legendary status with most people, and everyone I know who has heard it loves it. I'll review each song seperately. 01. Black Masks And Gasoline - melodic, heavyish, and political-what more can you ask for? 9/10. 02. Heaven Knows - decent verses with an incredibly catchy chorus-9. 5/10. 03. Dead Ringer- mostly screaming, but very catchy and intense for the whole minute and a half it lasts. 10/10. 04. Halfway There - my least favorite track, it's okay but it takes too long to really get started. 8/10. 05. Like The Angel - beautiful and melodic song that always leaves you in a good mood; quieter than most of the songs; features the world's best guitar solo IMO. 10/10. 06. Voices Off Camera - my favorite track; very fast and punky; I love the second chorus' background vocals. 11/10. 07. Blood Red, White And Blue - slightly amgrier than the other political songs, but also more upbeat sounding and punkier. 10/10. 08. Broken English - great, sing-along chorus, but I hate the second verse; great guitar work and another incredible solo. 9/10. 09. Last Chance Blueprint - fastest song, with a great beginning. 9/10. 10. To The Core - another all-screaming song, but this one is really fast and intense. 10/10. 11. Torches - the definition of Rise Against's signature melodic hardcore; great guitar work and a great third verse. 10.5/10. 12. Amber Changing - decent but not too memorable; good ending. 8.5/10. 13. [Secret Track] - I won't spoil the surprise by telling you what song this is, but it is not a song that I ever pictured RA doing a cover of; nevertheless, a great cover. 10/10. // 10

Lyrics: Rise Against's lyrics cannot be compared with those of any band I know. The political songs are rational and not just "I hate the system." They really make you think. However, I'm not crazy about the whole "we must revolt" theme of this album. Tim's raspy voice is great in the heavy songs, and he proves that he can even sing mellower songs like "Like the Angel." // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, this album deserves its legendary status. It's extremely punky and catchy. It's only their best album by a slim margin; all three of their albums are incredible. If you like punk and/or politics, you'll love Rise Against! // 10

Revolutions Per Minute Reviewed by: The Nameless666, on september 30, 2005

Sound: This is probably the best album by this band. It has 13 songs on it and they are all generally around the same style through out the album. The album is pretty fast with those nice guitar riffs that are thrown in here and there which show that this band can do some pretty unique/interesting things with their instruments compared to other punk bands. I love the vocals, it's like a raspy kinda voice, and this guy is also an awesome screamer, good overall sound! // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics of this album are pretty good, but usually songs with their best lyrics, always have this one line in it which is pretty stupid like they couldn't think of anything else to say there. But if you don't include those little things then the lyrics on this album is great, I always love quoting them. // 9

Overall Impression: This is one of my favourite albums of all time, it's by far my favourite from Rise Against (and I have all their albums). If this were stolen id for sure get this again to complete my Rise Against collection and also because it kicks so much ass. This album can get really aggressive at times and I love it, I think that the sound of this is centerd so that anyone can like it. Overall I think that this is a great album and recommend it to all! // 10

Revolutions Per Minute Reviewed by: Razorhead, on december 26, 2005

Sound: Rise Against's album Revolutions Per Minute has their trademark sound of hardcore punk mixed with melodic vocals and catchy guitar hooks. In other words, Rise Against's sound could be referred to as "polished hardcore." Vocalist Tim McIlrath shows a lot of range here, going from melodic yearning on "Heaven Knows" to all out surefire screaming on the album's track following it, "Dead Ringer." A lot of the riffs on the album are just power chords or short interludes, but they all sound great and suite the lyrics and singing that accompanies them. There are a few solos on the album, and they are all masterful. As for the general mixing, engineering, and production of the album, it sounds raw enough to where Rise Against are right there in your room, and polished enough to where it doesn't sound exactly like the old school punk that the band is heavily influenced by, such as Black Flag. // 9

Lyrics: Tim McIlrath's lyrics in general on Revolutions Per Minute deal with one of two things per song: either social/political issues or personal relkationships. They're very well-written in most cases, the best being the punk rock love ballad "Like The Angel," the angry "Blood-Red, White And Blue" (title is self-explanitory), and the melancholy single "Heaven Knows." "Last Chance Blueprint" is based upon the film American Beauty and even features clips of dialogue from it. The social commentary and political angst is intelligent and seems genuine, not as if Rise Against are jumping on the bandwagon. Calls for revolution, cries of emotional pain, and a love song that isn't overly lovey here and there are the styles of lyricism that dominate the album. // 9

Overall Impression: The lyric that might describe the mood of Revolutions Per Minute is found on its opening track, "Black Masks And Gasoline." "I have an american dream/but it involves black masks and gasoline/one day I'll turn these thoughts into screams/at a world that turned its back on me." Well, Rise Against succeeds in turning their thoughts into some of the most aggressive music out there, but it has a heart. Tim McIlrath, unlike many hardcore bands of earlier days, is not just strictly angry at the world, as demonstrated in the love song "Amber Changing." Revolutions Per Minute ultimately is a very rewarding experience, and is a relatively unique relook at the genre of hardcore punk music. // 9

Revolutions Per Minute Reviewed by: SteveHouse, on january 13, 2006

Sound: This is a fantastic work of punk. The guitar work is great, and Rise Against have a great drummer (My only complaint is the lack of variety in the drum patterns though, how odd). Rise always has been and continues today to be a political punk band, and this CD really thrashes this message out there. It's not necessarily innovative, but innovation is not what you're looking for here. // 9

Lyrics: Tim McIlrath > You. That's simply all there is to it. His voice is simply amazing. It can be a raspy power-shout or deeply rich. The lyrics are great and phenomenally catchy; the first track begins with "Simply because you can breathe doesn't mean you're alive, or that you really live." This gets stuck in your head and won't get out, but it's okay, you won't want it out. // 10

Overall Impression: Revolutions Per Minute is a fantastic album. It and its follow-up are two of my most played CDs. Blood-Red, White And Blue is phenomenal, and I particularly like Heaven Knows, Like The Angel, and Torches. On the bizarre side is the hidden track: a cover of "Any Way You Want It" by Journey. I literally laughed out loud when it started, then realized they were serious. That's a wierd track. But it's no big deal, it's the hidden track, so it doesn't matter anyway. If you steal this, I will kill you and take the CD from your dead body. But seriously, this is a great punk album. // 9

Revolutions Per Minute Reviewed by: Marki RA fan, on february 09, 2009

Sound: Rise Against has a sound like no other band out there. They are very versitile they have Hardcore stuff for the headbangers, Punk stuff for the... well, punks, and alternate rock for the other people. Revolutions Per Minute is my favourite album from Rise Against because it has a bit of everything. It is their second out of five albums and their earlyer stuff is much more Punk And Hardcore then their later stuff. Probably one of my favourite things about Rise Agaiinst is the bass guitar. Joe Principe is amazing. But everything is also just as amazing. // 10

Lyrics: I Think all of the songs worth listening to, I never need to skip one of their songs. But I'll rate each one individually. 01.Black Masks And Gasoline: a great song about the american government. I love the verses but the chorus is a little dull. but it's still an a great song and if you listen closely in the second verse a crazy bass solo kicks in at about 1:16. 9/10 02.Heaven Knows: when I first listened to this song I thougt it was alright but after a while I started to love it. my favourite part is the guitar intro and bridge. the verses and chourus are really intense and I like how the last outro verse is slower to end the song 9/10 03.Dead Ringer: this song is my least favourite song of them all, but I'm not saying it's bad but it doesnt't have much of a meaning to it and it doesnt't make you want to keep backtracking it to hear it again 8/10 04.Halfway There: this song has a great guitar part but the intro is a bit too long and boring. I think it would be better off if they skipped the little intro thing and just went on to the faster part. 8.5/10 05.Like The Angel: one of my favourite songs on this album, I love the bass intro and outro and it's based on a love story which you don't find much by Rise Against. 12/10 06.Voices Off Camera: another favourite of mine because it's really punky and more cheerful and happy which is also important. the bridge thing is alright and I love the chourus. 11/10 07.Blood Red White And Blue: an amazing song about america and the attack an 911. the chourus is great and it's one of their faster songs. the solo at the end is AWESOME!!! 12/10 08.Broken English: this is a really different song by Rise Against but is really good. I like the guitar and the singing but it's really hard to figure out the chourus. it's also another fast cheerful song. 10/10 09.Last Chance Blueprint: this song seems like it's half a minute long, but that's because it's so dang fast. very catchy and will get stuck in your head. 9.5/10 10.To The Core: I really like this song because it is super hard core but also because most of thier stuff is based on the govenment and global problems, this song is a more personal attack. 9/10 11.Torches: my favourite song on the album and one of my favourite song by Rise Against in general. the guitar is amazing and the vocals are perfect. last verse really slows down the song but that's good, because then it goes right into the mind blowing chourus. 100/10 12.Amber Changing: personally this song is OK, I think it's a bit too slow and boring. but it still has a meaning and to me that counts a lot. 8.5/10 13.Hidden Track: once I heard this the first thing I did was laugh. you will never ever expect this cover. it's alright but it's not Rise Against at all. too busy laghing to rate. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favourite album because it's very well rounded. I think Rise Againsts early stuff is better because it's more punk than alternative rock. The best songs are: 01.Torches 02.Like The Angel 03.Blood Red White And Blue 04.Voices Off Camera 05.Every Other Song I love the fact that the album isnt so long that you fall asleep litening to it, but not too short that you forget about it. the only bad thing is that the some of the song are a bit short and you might miss them if you don't pay attention. if I lost this album I would buy 3 more copies just incase I lose another. // 10

Revolutions Per Minute Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 16, 2012

Sound: The sound itself is fine, although the guitars' sound can get really annoying at some times. The guitarists and especially the drummer are phenomenal! Their playing just fits the singing and the atmosphere of the album perfectly. It's even more impressive because in most of the modern punk rock bands it's an only 4 chord-based song (usually power chords). The bass doesn't get much attention in most of the songs, but when it is gets the attention, it just adds so much... So I would give it a 9, because the music is so fantastic but the sound itself drops it to a 9. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics, just like in most of Rise Against's records, is absolutely stunning. Tim's singing is so great in this albums, filled with adrenaline and anger. I really don't have anything bad to say about the singing. It just goes so well with the music... If I could I would rate it much more than 10. // 10

Overall Impression: I must say, this album is one of the best modern punk albums I've ever heard. First of all, each song have its unique signature on your emotions, and you just fly away with each song to a wonderful trip. I would never get tired of any of the songs in this album. My favorite songs are "Black Masks And Gasoline", "Heaven Knows", "Voices Off Camera" and "Torches". I really can't use words to describe the greatness of this album. The only thing I actually didn't like is the sound (especially the sound of the guitars), and I think more "balls" to the sound of the guitars would fit much more. To summarize, it's for me almost a perfect punk-rock record, and if I'd have lost it, I'd buy it again without a single doubt. (Oh and sorry for my English.) // 10

More Rise Against reviews rating latest review