The Unraveling Review

rise against: The Unraveling
Release Date: Apr 24, 2001
Label: Fat Wreck Chords
Genres: Hardcore Punk, Punk Revival
If there were ever an album to help bring back the finger pointing and circle pits, The Unraveling might be a good bet.
 9.3
 9.5
The Unraveling Reviewed by: Zamboni, on october 15, 2005

Sound: "The Unraveling" is Rise Against's first ever recording. It was released in April 2001, but has since been re-released with extensive liner notes and two bonus tracks. There are 18 songs in total, and the two bonus songs are called "Join The Ranks" and "Gesthemene." The re-release has been remastered, so the songs sound much better then they would've from the old recording technology of '01. Rise Against really started their own unique blend of punk rock and hardcore punk with this album, and if you're a Rise Against fan, you need to get this CD. // 10

Lyrics: Tim McIlrath is an excellent lyricist, and he writes songs with meaning and feel behind them. A rare thing these days with most punk music. It's good to see an influential punk band like Rise Against actually taking the time to write good lyrics to go along with good music. He has a great singing voice as well as an amazing scream. He's also able to scream while keeping a melody to his voice, which is a very difficult and impressive thing to do. An all-around good singer/songwriter. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is a little too new to be called one of my favorites just yet, but I have no doubt that with time, this will definitely go in my "most listened to" CD pile. Every song on this CD is very good, and I can just put it in my player and let it run. This is always the case with Rise Against CD's, and if you're any kind of punk fan whatsoever, this CD is definitely for you. If lost or stolen, I would buy it again in a second. // 10

The Unraveling Reviewed by: shugo449, on january 04, 2007

Sound: On The Unraveling, Rise Against's first CD, they have a lot more of a hardcore-punk sound, unlike how their two newest releases have been more of a melodic punk. The band consists of Tim on vocals, Joe on bass and Brandon on drums like always. But, on guitar is Dan Precision, their first guitar player and Joe's former band member. On The Unraveling, Tim's scream is a lot more deeper; comparable to Spencer from Underoath's scream. My favorite tracks are "Gethsemane", "Six Ways 'Til Sunday", "Join The Ranks", "401 Kill", "The Art Of Losing" and "Everchanging." // 9

Lyrics: Tim's lyrics on this CD are a lot like most first punk bands lyrics would be. They have a lot to do with rebellion and some have to do with despair, but also have to do with trends and other light hearted things related to being younger. They fit real well with the music, and sometimes Tim screaming makes his words more intense and meaningful. // 8

Overall Impression: The Unraveling is definetly my favorite Rise Against CD. As their first CD, it captures more of a younger light hearted Rise Against. A lot of the songs are under two minutes, which I love, cause they are easy to learn and they packed 18 tracks on. I love every single socond of it! A must for any Rise Against, a strong recomendation for any hardcore punk fan. // 10

More Rise Against reviews rating latest review