Defying The Gods Review

7.9
 8.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Defying The Gods Reviewed by: leosilvera, on february 14, 2014

Sound: There are some bands that you just find randomly and like right away. That is at least how it is for me. Rise To Fall was recommended for me on Spotify and I instantly fell in love with the band. "Defying the Gods" is their 2nd album and is definitely a good representation of modern melodic death metal. While they may be unknown to most, they have taken influences from the more well known acts such as In Flames and Scar Symmetry.

My favorite songs at the moment: "Ascend to the Throne," "The Compass," "Whispers of Hope," "Reject the Mould," "Lost in Oblivion." // 10

Lyrics: The only problem I have with the band is that their lyrics are not exactly anything spectacular or noteworthy. While they are sang in spectacularly epic fashions, the meaning behind the words is kind of generic. The band isn't originally from an English speaking country so I'm guessing they have at least some difficulty writing lyrics that will appeal to most American audiences. In Flames had a similar problem starting out. Over time I'm sure they will improve their lyrics in future releases, just as In Flames has for the most part. // 7

Overall Impression: If you are a fan of melodeath like myself, then I would definitely recommend this band. Fans of In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquility etc will most likely favor this band as well. Sure, they have some lyrical issues but the sound of the band is intense and fulfilling enough to forgive that flaw. The guitars are heavy and melodic, the drums fit very well (even though I'm not a drums expert what so ever), the vocals are epic and the overall sound just sends listeners on a journey. I listen through the entire album whenever I get the chance. I do not own the album at the moment, but I will definitely buy it when I get the chance. Also, as usual, when I start to love a band, the desire to see them in concert becomes ever imminent. Hopefully the chance will come and I can come to appreciate this melodic death metal band even more. // 9

Comments