Educated Horses Review

rob zombie: Educated Horses
Release Date: Mar 28, 2006
Label: Geffen
Genres: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal, Alternative Pop/Rock
"Educated Horses" strips down Rob's macabre aesthetic, largely ditching the overt kitsch and busy, techno-tinged arrangements in favor of a heavy, '70s-inspired stoner manner.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 8.9
 8.9
 8.8
Educated Horses Reviewed by: MisguidedAngel, on april 03, 2006

Sound: Rob Zombie's latest offering "Educated Horses" is much like his films in a way, it grabs you by the neck and refuses to let go until its had its way with you. A harsh yet melodic introduction with "Sawdust In The Blood" is a fine way to catch you off guard and make you ready for something faster, more powerful and it gives you what you want. "American Witch" is the first track to pound the listener and its rather memorable chorus will stick in your head. Rob has a strange way of bringing together very well put together accoustic tracks like "100 ways" and throwing them in with more raw and fast tracks like "Let It All Bleed Out." 01. Sawdust In The Blood - drum beat hits your system first followed by a soft piano line that is haunting. 02. American Witch - harsh guitars drag you into Rob's just as harsh voice. Quickly leads into the catchy chorus "The end, the end, of the American." 03. Foxy Foxy - first single off the CD, very fun guitar riff that follows through the entire song. Another catchy chorus and Rob's voice is softer in this song. 04. 17 Year Locust - very interesting guitar sound in the song leading into a much more menacing guitar that assaults your ears. 05. The Scorpion Sleeps - one of the more fun songs on the CD as Rob's voice keeps you going and makes you want to sing along with him. 06. 100 Ways - an instrumental interlude, again piano's are used in the song. Very soft and nice to break up the CD. 07. Let It All Bleed Out - the fastest song on the CD and may be the one that fans will enjoy the most, very nice shreding involved. 100 Ways sets you up perfectly for this song. 08. Death Of It All - a softer track but still keeps the darker tone of the CD and Rob's lyrics complement the song perfectly. 09. Ride - the piano again draws the listener in for the guitar riff to knock them down, vocal parts lead the listener right up for the chorus to kick in again. 10. The Devil's Rejects - southern feel to this song, from the movie of the same name. Not really a stand out track but still a nice track for the sound it creates. 11. The Lords Of Salem - menacing guitar riff matching right with Rob's echoing voice to create an interesting way to end the CD. Gives a true feeling of a "live" song. Overall however the album is impressive at giving fans what they always expect and crave out of Rob. // 10

Lyrics: This is an interesting part of this CD, if you look at the chorus of "American Witch" the line is "The End, The End, Of The American." It's something that gets stuck in your head for better or for worse. Rob's lyrics always go well with his music and it is never obvious if something doesn't seem right for a song. Alot of the chorus's on the CD are very similar in the set up however. Most will just repeat the same set of words over and over, it's not bad and it works well but some variety would be nice. Again though this style has been done through all of Rob's music and it's never done him wrong in the past so if it ain't broke don't fix it. // 9

Overall Impression: The CD delievers what fans always look for in his music, it can be fast and menacing while still being melodic and well produced. The songs all in their own way are great, everyone has something different in it that makes the whole CD itself a journey. The CD is (going into Rob's movies) much like being tortured, it can hurt you one minute and then give you a minute to breath right before it comes back for round 2. For fan's the CD will not disappoint as it maintains Rob's style and flare for creating an ambiance that can make the listener picture a situation for every song, be it good or bad. Impressive in the way it is all put together "Educated Horses" will make a great addition to fans, and even the causal listeners CD collection. // 10

Educated Horses Reviewed by: shredder_666, on december 15, 2006

Sound: The sound of this album was very raw. The sound does not compare to any Rob Zombie album or White Zombie album ever released. The guitars are all tuned down to give the record a "low" sort of feel. The record sounds more like a classic metal record than it does and industrial metal type of record. There werent that many bizarre sounds or synthesizers used in the recording. This is unlike other Rob Zombie records as most of them have a very industrial sound. The styles used in the songs vary. "American witch" is in the styles of Classic Metal bands such as Black Sabbath. "The scorpion sleeps" is one that really stood out to me. It sounds like a classic blues rock style that sounds like it could date all the way back to the '50s. The song "Foxy foxy" is the only one on this record that I would say used some special sound effects. It is a very strange song and may be surprising for a longtime Zombie fan to hear. // 10

Lyrics: Brutal, aggressive, but not as vulgar as other Rob Zombie lyrics. I was personally surprised to see that this album did not have a "Parental advisory" label on it. Instead of using vulgarity, the lyrics seem to have a religious base to them. A lot of these lyrics seem to reflect specifically on the beliefs of early colonial America (I happen to know a thing or two about history and have recognized some words in the lyrics). In all honesty, some of the lyrics are a little hard to understand as some of the words are structured strangely in the song. However, they do make you think and wonder what they are about and it makes a great addition to this album. Also, the singing is much different in this record. Instead of using deep screaming "gothic" kind of vocals, Zombie uses more classical kind of vocal use, but still with heavy metal aggression. // 8

Overall Impression: My impression was that this album was miles apart from any Rob Zombie album I have ever heard. I really like it. As a musician personally prefer raw sounds without special sound effects and was actually very impressed with this record. I really love the raw sound and aggressive work put in by the line up. Some of the songs are just a testament to heavy metal. However, some of the songs were a little prolonged and made the record slightly boring to listen to at times. Although, not too much. All in all, I think that this is the best Rob Zombie release yet. // 8

Educated Horses Reviewed by: iljh, on march 30, 2007

Sound: This album is different than anything Rob Zombie has ever done in the past with White Zombie, or this band. Different style, different sound, different guitar stuff, but it works! This album sounds better than any other Zombie relaese. It goes into a more melodic (but still very heavy) feel and has more guitar on it than Rob has used on any other album. The only song that sounds a little too dirty would be "Let It All Bleed Out," a song much like his past material (but still an awesome song). It sounds great and you will probably agree. // 9

Lyrics: These are the best lyrics Rob Zombie has written in his entire life. Well, at least that have been recorded. They tell stories or at least make you think about the unknown. It flows extremely well with the (very) guitar riff oriented songs. Another item at it's best is Rob' voice. It sounds amazing. I got chills listening to this for the first time. And trust me, that is hard to do. He sings really well and does a great job of not sounding the same on every song. There are 2 instrumental songs (one being the minute long opener) but they keep the album moving along nicely. Keep up the good work, Mr. Zombie! // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, this is his most different album, but I like it the most. The best songs would have to be "American Witch" (which is my fav song by him and it also got me into him big-time) "Foxy Foxy", "The Scorpion Sleeps" (a fun, up beat song), "Let It All Bleed Out" (reminessent to his earlier songs), "Ride" and "The Devils Reject" from his movie. Rob Zombie has changed a lot over time but I think it's for the best. I suggest all metal lovers have this album in your music library. It is different considering it came from Zombie, but if you can ignore his past, you will love it! It is an album I can listen to all the way, and you probably can too. // 10

Educated Horses Reviewed by: Zombie spawn, on january 15, 2008

Sound: Educated Horses isn't as good as most of his other stuff was. I mean, yeah, it's hard to keep up with the reputation set up by Hellbilly Deluxe, but it's possible. Some good songs, not all good songs, but enough to listen to. Lets go down the list, shall we? 01. Sawdust In The Blood - good song. Instrumental sound that makes you feel like you just murdered someone, and you are walking away. 02. American Witch - not one of the best on the album. it's a popular song, but just doesn't appeal to me. Catchy, yes. Annoying to have stuck in your head? Yes. 03. Foxy, Foxy - as much as I love Rob Zombie, I completely and utterly despise this song. The only part that is remotely close to past Zombie music is the chicks moaning after the chorus. Skip this one. 04. 17 Year Locust - good intro, nice riff. I like the tune of the song too. it's got that haunted country house feel, and then transfers to Zombie-Techno. Pretty good. 05. 100 Ways - instrumental, but not as good as Sawdust In The Blood. It's OK, but not classic Zombie. 06. Let It All Bleed Out - hardcore, heavyass, make-your-head-explode song. Sick riffs (even if they are a bit simple), and a general heat to the song. Makes you want to beat the shit out of someone. Just a great heavy metal song. Not classic Zombie, but still good. 07. The Death Of It All - not bad. Good chorus lyrics, and smooth rhythm. Not as heavy as Let It All Bleed Out, but definitely a good listen. 08. Ride - not many people like this song, but I am not one of those people. It's got a nice rolling riff, and goes right into an overdrive chorus. I wouldn't skip it. 09. The Devil's Rejects - most of the reason that I like this song is because it's fun to match the characters in The Devil's Rejects movie with the descriptions in the song. Other than that, it has a choppy intro which has the sick-ass effect that makes it sound like the strings are falling off. 10. Lords Of Salem - amazing. Makes you feel like it's live. I would know, I've heard it, and it's almost as good. Great chorus, awesome riff, and all topped off with that Rob Zombie touch of horror. It's not the best album, but I definitely wouldn't want to skip over it. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album do make more sense then on Hellbilly, but the sound of Hellbilly made up for it. On this album Zonbie's voice sounds different, and change is good, but not all the time. I do like the CD, but the lyrics aren't my favorite part. Just pay attention to the cool guitars, and if your a sick perv, you can just skip to Foxy, Foxy and listen to some random chick moaning into your headphones, if you took that advice, you need help. No offense. // 6

Overall Impression: Good album, not greatest, but slowly working it's way up. If I were you try and find it on sale somewhere and get it for half price. Great as Zombie is, this isn't my favorite album. The best songs to date on this album are probably Let It All Bleed Out, Lords Of Salem, The Devil's Rejects, Ride, and The Death Of It All. But Overall, it's not a bad album to get. It just makes your Rob Zombie collection a bit bigger. // 8

More Rob Zombie reviews rating latest review