Past, Present & Future Review

rob zombie: Past, Present & Future
Release Date: Sep 23, 2003
Label: Geffen
Genres: Alternative Metal, Industrial Metal, Alternative Pop/Rock
Past, Present & Future is the first ever Rob Zombie retrospective.
 Lyrics: 7.3
 7.8
 7.4
 8.1
Past, Present & Future Reviewed by: Lord Vodka, on november 10, 2005

Sound: Rob Zombie became very famous when he left White Zombie, his previous band. Now, after just 3 albums, Rob decided to make a compilation of his greatest hits, from White Zombie to unreleased tracks, from past to future. The songs played by White Zombie, aren't very heavy, even if the drummer surprised me with some incredible drum solos ("Supercharger Heaven"). One of the best points of this cd is that you can hear rob's voice changing during the album: at the beginning of the CD, Rob really sings like Michael Jackson, and at the end of it, he sings like Marylin Manson, screaming, with girls singing on the background! For the songs he performed in solo, Rob made some really good things, even if the guitar sometimes "disappears" in the middle of a song. // 7

Lyrics: Rob Zombie's lirycs are very simple lyrics, where as White Zombie's lyrics are more long, more difficult to follow. The big problem is sometimes you can't always understand what he's saying: Rob's voice is very special in fact. Rob has a very particular style: his voice just never changes from tone, and what a pity. // 5

Overall Impression: This compilation is a very good CD, and there's also a dvd of all his videos given with it. Rob zombie is definitely one of the best musicians in this world. Helped by Kerry King (Slayer), Tommy Lee, Mix Master Mike, DJ Lethal (Limp Bizkit), Emm Gryner, etc, Rob made some very good things, and even directed some horror films ("The House Of 1000 Corpses," "The Devil's Rejects")! Mr. Zombie isn't just a musician, he's an artist, and this CD proves it. // 7

Past, Present & Future Reviewed by: dimebag7, on november 11, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is pretty unique in some points. This album is just his past, present and future work, if your a Zombie fan it's for you. Some songs have a devilish feel to them, but some of the songs are kinda pop rock with really disapointed me, that's my only probably with this CD. Like his music can be really good metal music but then he goes and does some pop music (Tears). Other than that good there good tunes, the only guitar solo I can think of is Thunderkiss 65' on the album right now but I wish he'd put some in his music it'd really complete it, oh great drum solo on super-charged heaven! // 8

Lyrics: Personally I love zombie lyrics, there deep and sometimes scary. Some people may not agree with my views on Zombie lyrics. I think they are very brillant, and his voice is so unique, but some white zombie songs, like Thunderkiss 65' you can't really understand him but I find it catchy sometimes. Don't get me wrong Thunderkiss 65' has a great solo but you can't really heard it over Rob's voice, it seems like he wants the music to be all about him. Rob gets a bit clearer when he went solo. Alice Cooper apears on this album also but you can't really tell it's him, unless you look at the back of song list. // 9

Overall Impression: Rob is very unique like I said before. There's some really good tunes on the album and theres some not so good one. Rob shouldn't stayed to what he did best, metal. Some good songs are Thunderkiss 65', Dracula, Super-charged Heaven, More Human Than Human, Living Dead Girl, Demonid Phnomenon, Spookshow Baby, Return Of The Phantom Stanger, and Super Beast. Some of those are videos though theres 2 disce on this album. One disc is songs and another is music videos, some of the videos are hailous! I defintaly recomed getting this album. I hate the pop music he put on it though, and his cover of bizter bop by Ramones or whatever the songs called (sorry I hate The Ramones). But other than that pick this up if you a diehard or a new Zombie fan you'll love it! Other than the pop songs. // 8

Past, Present & Future Reviewed by: AltCrunchPuffs, on august 11, 2006

Sound: Rob Zombie's "best of" compilation: "Past, Present And Future" kicks off with the White Zombie thrash masterpeice "Thunderkiss '65." It pulverizes like Megadeth or Slayer, rocks a hard, catchy, memorable riff that would make Black Sabbath fans happy, and refreshingly remembers to have fun and groove as hard and deep as an early Clutch recording. Tracks like "Thunderkiss '65" are representative of the White Zombie years in good ol' Rob's career, and are impossible not to head-bang to. Unfortunately, this quality alternative-thrash metal isn't covered well enough in "Past Present and Future". Instead, we get a handful of masterful White Zombie songs, and a whole lot of good-but-not-great Rob Zombie solo tracks. a lot of the solo work compromises catchy guitar for an over-emphasis on electronic synthesizer effects and sampling, and there are too many novelty covers (two disco hits and a cover of the Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop"). Also, industrial-atmospherics work with Zombie's shtick metal awkwardly, and spooky tracks like "Hands of Death" feel dreary and mediocre. Zombie's industrial is, as one of Rob's vampiric bowling buddies would likely say: "blah." Let's leave the gothic industrial-rock for Marilyn and Trent Reznor. On the bright side of the solo-spectrum, however, "Superbeast" rocks with fist-pumping testosterone, "Dragula" is a disco-spliced head-banger, and "Living Dead Girl" struts with funky B-Movie swagger. // 7

Lyrics: Rob Zombie's tongue-in-cheek house-o'-horrors lyrics are fun and refreshing after listening to his gloomy "I-hate-my-mom" dispositioned nu metal peers. It gets a tad generic on some tracks, but usually they're imaginative and never boring. His singing, while not exactly pretty or melodic, is gravely, powerful, and distinctive. Excellent for rowdy moshpits. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, "Past, Present, and Future" is a decent overview of a great band and it's frontman's not-as-great-but-still-fairly-good attempts at going solo. I do wish there were more White Zombie tracks included (where are "Grease Paint and Monkey Brains" and "Welcome to Planet Motherf--ker") but there are still enough hard-rockin', grooveable riffs and campy lyrics to keep you entertained between "Tales From The Crypt" re-runs. // 8

More Rob Zombie reviews rating latest review